Pull up a sandbag

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Shadow said:

@ckn what sort of tank is that? :kolobok_biggrin:

I'm out of date on this sort of stuff, but it looks like the Turkish licensed knock-off of the South Korean K9 155mm. I remember that because they were going to buy some British stuff but I think we were sketchy about giving them licensing rights to produce their own in-country.

I'm sure you really were expecting me to answer that with a straight bat, weren't you?

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

1 hour ago, ckn said:

I'm out of date on this sort of stuff, but it looks like the Turkish licensed knock-off of the South Korean K9 155mm. I remember that because they were going to buy some British stuff but I think we were sketchy about giving them licensing rights to produce their own in-country.

I'm sure you really were expecting me to answer that with a straight bat, weren't you?

I was in Larkhill recently where there's a 105mm Abbot as the gate ornament on one of the barracks. I was desperately trying to find someone in uniform so I could ask for directions just to say "so I turn right, opposite the tank" 

Squaddies. Never there when you need them :kolobok_biggrin:

7 minutes ago, Shadow said:

I was in Larkhill recently where there's a 105mm Abbot as the gate ornament on one of the barracks. I was desperately trying to find someone in uniform so I could ask for directions just to say "so I turn right, opposite the tank" 

Squaddies. Never there when you need them :kolobok_biggrin:

I almost got into a fight with some navy lot when I said of their frigate "aww, it's so cute and small, what's the difference between a boat and a ship again?"

Same with some infantry lot when my boss (the Battery Commander) called his infantry OC counterpart a "lightweight meat shield" for taking a break when in webbing order before assaulting a position, when we were still in full bergen order because of our radio kit in them.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

6 minutes ago, ckn said:

I almost got into a fight with some navy lot when I said of their frigate "aww, it's so cute and small, what's the difference between a boat and a ship again?"

Same with some infantry lot when my boss (the Battery Commander) called his infantry OC counterpart a "lightweight meat shield" for taking a break when in webbing order before assaulting a position, when we were still in full bergen order because of our radio kit in them.

Bravo that man... hilarious! ??

6 minutes ago, ckn said:

Drag up a sandbag...

351 or 320? 

Just now, Shadow said:

Drag up a sandbag...

351 or 320? 

Both... My boss had the spare batteries as he was a nice chap, unlike some of the sproggy Captains given their first independent job away from the guns who saw that as beneath them.

You learn how to "superman" dive through windows with those whip antennae

6 minutes ago, ckn said:

Both... My boss had the spare batteries as he was a nice chap, unlike some of the sproggy Captains given their first independent job away from the guns who saw that as beneath them.

You learn how to "superman" dive through windows with those whip antennae

And you tell the kids today with their encrypted individual personal radios, they don't realise how lucky they are. I'd like to see them heaving a 320 around for a few days using BATCO. 

1 minute ago, Shadow said:

And you tell the kids today with their encrypted individual personal radios, they don't realise how lucky they are. I'd like to see them heaving a 320 around for a few days using BATCO. 

And that's part of why my knees are so shot.

Between the 351, 320, spare batteries and other kit, I was severely under-strength at my 12-ish stone at the time. I almost routinely needed a hand up to my feet at full load.

6 hours ago, ckn said:

And that's part of why my knees are so shot.

Between the 351, 320, spare batteries and other kit, I was severely under-strength at my 12-ish stone at the time. I almost routinely needed a hand up to my feet at full load.

I know what you mean and feel your pain. At my full load (about 10 pints, but I occasionally managed 13), I often couldn't get to my feet either. ?

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

16 minutes ago, Clogiron said:

When I was a kid you still had lead toy soldiers, some of those had difficulty standing up due to uneven bases,................ Just saying like?

I still have a roll of lead solder in my electronics bag in the garage. When our boiler circuit board got dry joints and I offered to repair them to save the money of a new one, the young plumber looked at me as if I were an ancient old relic still using a flint axe 

3 hours ago, ckn said:

I still have a roll of lead solder in my electronics bag in the garage. When our boiler circuit board got dry joints and I offered to repair them to save the money of a new one, the young plumber looked at me as if I were an ancient old relic still using a flint axe 

I’ve got an IBM Type 1 balun in my tool bag that I used to use to frighten the new IT guys in my old job.

14 hours ago, ckn said:

I'm out of date on this sort of stuff, but it looks like the Turkish licensed knock-off of the South Korean K9 155mm.

It's a T155.

T obviously equals Tank.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

8 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

It's a T155.

T obviously equals Tank.  

The only reason they have gunners is that it’s too expensive to automate the loading process. Giving them shelter from the rain just makes them feel important. 

On my last exercise, I got the privilege of being able to choose my role as a bit of a parting reward. I couldn't do my old job as my knees were still recovering from surgery but I could drive, so I chose to drive the ambulance. The ambulance parks up near the guns and is probably the most unused thing on a typical exercise as you just sit there while the medic prays for nothing to do. I had thought it'd be three weeks of catching up with my books and relaxing but thought that'd be a bit excessive.

So... I chipped in with the battery sergeant major (BSM), hired a gas cooking grill and set up shop in the sheltered tentage behind the ambulance on each site instead. I deliberately parked upwind from the guns on each site so the smell of bacon and sausages would waft over the gun crews. The BSM did the daily runs to the shops to get more supplies, I did the cooking, we made an absolute fortune selling bacon butties to gun crews who really didn't want rations for three weeks.

The medic was a bloody nuisance though, he felt he was too important to chip in with the cooking (those almost literally were his words), and he was also unhappy he didn't get a cut of the money at the end despite doing nothing. He also once, quite unwisely, tried to tell me off for sitting back with my feet up reading because, as medic, he was nominally crew commander despite being rank inferior to me, that went well for him.

25 minutes ago, ckn said:

On my last exercise, I got the privilege of being able to choose my role as a bit of a parting reward. I couldn't do my old job as my knees were still recovering from surgery but I could drive, so I chose to drive the ambulance. The ambulance parks up near the guns and is probably the most unused thing on a typical exercise as you just sit there while the medic prays for nothing to do. I had thought it'd be three weeks of catching up with my books and relaxing but thought that'd be a bit excessive.

So... I chipped in with the battery sergeant major (BSM), hired a gas cooking grill and set up shop in the sheltered tentage behind the ambulance on each site instead. I deliberately parked upwind from the guns on each site so the smell of bacon and sausages would waft over the gun crews. The BSM did the daily runs to the shops to get more supplies, I did the cooking, we made an absolute fortune selling bacon butties to gun crews who really didn't want rations for three weeks.

The medic was a bloody nuisance though, he felt he was too important to chip in with the cooking (those almost literally were his words), and he was also unhappy he didn't get a cut of the money at the end despite doing nothing. He also once, quite unwisely, tried to tell me off for sitting back with my feet up reading because, as medic, he was nominally crew commander despite being rank inferior to me, that went well for him.

Coincidentally on my final exercise as Platoon Sergeant before my unit was butchered under Options for Change there was an Officers Mess departure meal organised for the final night. My Platoon was tasked with maintaing a harbour position with a full night time patrolling routine. "Right you are sir" I said with a snappy salute as my Rupert climbed aboard the company minibus. Not 5 minutes later the cooks turned up with a four tonner filled with barbecue equipment, burgers, sausages, chicken and chops closely followed by the CQMS  in a landrover filled with Beer. 

• 1 month later...
7 minutes ago, Spidey said:

You need some decent hand moisturiser. That much I learnt when I was on manual peritoneal dialysis when a 2 minute handwash was needed each time, not this 20second ###### ??

My wife has moisturising soap that I use. She also insists on moisturising my hands each evening now. My hands are lovely and soft, and they also smell very nice.

It helps that I haven’t left home since last Wednesday and before that the Friday before, both times for fresh food shopping runs.

47 minutes ago, ckn said:

My wife has moisturising soap that I use. She also insists on moisturising my hands each evening now. My hands are lovely and soft, and they also smell very nice.

Honestly... listen to yourself man!! What has happened to you?! ?

13 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Honestly... listen to yourself man!! What has happened to you?! ?

This is why I didn’t work on the guns and developed good friendships with the engineers! I might have chipped a nail if I had to dig my own trenches...

1 hour ago, ckn said:

It helps that I haven’t left home since last Wednesday and before that the Friday before, both times for fresh food shopping runs.

Wire brush and dettol

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

1 minute ago, ckn said:

This is why I didn’t work on the guns and developed good friendships with the engineers! I might have chipped a nail if I had to dig my own trenches...

And there's me thinking you were SAS ??

Archived