Pull up a sandbag

Just now, Marauder said:

Wire brush and dettol

My neighbour in Colchester was a REME Tech and he had a jar of swarfega by his front door that he used with the outdoor tap and all manner of brushes. He wasn’t allowed in the house until he proved to his wife’s satisfaction that he was clean.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, ckn said:

This is why I didn’t work on the guns and developed good friendships with the engineers! I might have chipped a nail if I had to dig my own trenches...

Mate, that’s RAF Regiment talk. Snap out of it.

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

And there's me thinking you were SAS ??

ARTILLERY! My job was at the bigger-bang end of the ballistic trajectory.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

1 minute ago, ckn said:

ARTILLERY! My job was at the bigger-bang end of the ballistic trajectory.

Yes , but those IN the SAS never actually talk about it , I thought you were just being ' covert ' 

3 minutes ago, Shadow said:

Mate, that’s RAF Regiment talk. Snap out of it.

I once did rear party over Christmas, 2 weeks of gate guard for an extra week of holiday, that’s as close as I ever got to experiencing the exhilaration of a career in the RAF Regiment 

Just now, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

You caught the shells?

No, we let the other side try. Only fair to let them play as well.

2 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Yes , but those IN the SAS never actually talk about it , I thought you were just being ' covert ' 

You never now when THEY are watching...

Just now, ckn said:

I once did rear party over Christmas, 2 weeks of gate guard for an extra week of holiday, that’s as close as I ever got to experiencing the exhilaration of a career in the RAF Regiment 

Rear party? Not being a military man I guess that has a different meaning to what flashed immediately through my (some may say depraved) mind!!!

Just now, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Rear party? Not being a military man I guess that has a different meaning to what flashed immediately through my (some may say depraved) mind!!!

“Volunteers” who do the gate guard while others go off on holiday, exercise or things like that, they then get to take their leave (plus any bonus) at different times while others are working. I did that one because I had a family wedding to go to in normal working time so wanted to get the time off.

Just now, ckn said:

“Volunteers” who do the gate guard while others go off on holiday, exercise or things like that, they then get to take their leave (plus any bonus) at different times while others are working. I did that one because I had a family wedding to go to in normal working time so wanted to get the time off.

Phew....

26 minutes ago, Marauder said:

BEST job in the army.

When we were converted to airmobile, that was when it got really fun. Big guns and helicopters! Almost like the “Frank” recruiting adverts from the early 90s.

When converted, we had FH70s and they tried to make them airmobile with Chinooks. That worked §well as the Chinooks started to break very quickly with the load. Light guns replaced them quite quickly after that.

13 minutes ago, Marauder said:

A41 & A42 in my day.

We got trained on those, albeit only for an hour or so for some reason I never learned. Never used one after and this is the first time in nearly 3 decades I’ve heard of them!

3 minutes ago, ckn said:

We got trained on those, albeit only for an hour or so for some reason I never learned. Never used one after and this is the first time in nearly 3 decades I’ve heard of them!

I'm sure I've got all the OP ack gear in my garage including batco, young guy from 7th gave me it for my lad to play with about 10 years ago.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

17 minutes ago, ckn said:

When we were converted to airmobile, that was when it got really fun. Big guns and helicopters! Almost like the “Frank” recruiting adverts from the early 90s.

When converted, we had FH70s and they tried to make them airmobile with Chinooks. That worked §well as the Chinooks started to break very quickly with the load. Light guns replaced them quite quickly after that.

We used the pack for that in the early 70s

4 minutes ago, Marauder said:

I'm sure I've got all the OP ack gear in my garage including batco, young guy from 7th gave me it for my lad to play with about 10 years ago.

BATCO... I read somewhere, I think it was on ARRSE, that the Signals lot still train with it “just in case”. Poor sods.

7 hours ago, Marauder said:

Yes, 

“Nods respectfully”

I only used BATCO and Clansman but the old and bold of my day had enough horror stories about Larkspur and SLIDEX that I’m grateful for that. 

Anyone ever used MOULD?

10 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

This is the Army, not the Navy, you filthy-minded swine.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, GeordieSaint said:

Gunner chat... yawn! ??

GUNNERS always got through when others couldn't, and nothing was better than listening to a fire mission with two good signallers, my signaller was brilliant, the CO ended up nicking him.

5 minutes ago, Marauder said:

GUNNERS always got through when others couldn't, and nothing was better than listening to a fire mission with two good signallers, my signaller was brilliant, the CO ended up nicking him.

We go everywhere...

Archived