Sign in to follow this  
SL17

Melbourne Storm ownership

Be afraid SL team owners. Be very afraid.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

47 minutes ago, TIWIT said:

Be afraid SL team owners. Be very afraid.

Could be the opposite TIWIT should TWP get relegated this season, it may just propel Argyle to put his all his eggs in the Melbourne basket, which if he does so be it. 

I should imagine men of his wealth are not used to being refused on anything they ask for so if SL will not grant him a special dispensation to spend more money than other clubs on his playing roster, he may just view that as a personal insult. 

Just maybe he's trying to find a way to ' circumnavigate ' a salary cap , Melbourne have some history of that I believe 😉

1 minute ago, DimmestStar said:

They can out vote him 11-1 so I don't see why they need be afraid.

They don't even get the ' 1 ' 

• Like 1

Hopefully won’t mean he loses interest in TWP and they pack up. Not that I’d blame him if he did considering the parochial hostility he’s faced from those who’ve looked in the gift horse’s mouth. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Hopefully won’t mean he loses interest in TWP and they pack up. Not that I’d blame him if he did considering the parochial hostility he’s faced from those who’ve looked in the gift horse’s mouth. 

Eddie , they look at Toronto , and they're scared 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Eddie , they look at Toronto , and they're scared 

True, and it’s pathetic. If they were worried about one of them being relegated they could have expanded SL to 14 teams and got rid of the loop fixtures. But instead we’ll end up with TWP as a quiz question and a semi professional game that nobody other than a few over 60s in small Northern towns gives a toss about. 

Edited by Eddie
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

True, and it’s pathetic. If they were worried about one of them being relegated they could have expanded SL to 14 teams and got rid of the loop fixtures. But instead we’ll end up with TWP as a quiz question and a semi professional game that nobody other than a few over 60s in small Northern towns gives a toss about. 

Eddie it isn't relegation they are scared of 

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

What is it then?

Money , money they can't match 

If Toronto are a success , and more follow then the SL club owners become nothing more than ' academy club owners ' 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

Tiwit,

Please explain your "beware S.L. owners". What have they to be wary of, Toronto do not even have a vote,the other 11 S.L. clubs do. Do you honestly think that the S.L. owners will step aside and let Argyle and Co, take over S.L.? Do not bother answering that question I already know the answer.

3 hours ago, SL17 said:

I've changed the title of this thread, as the link to Toronto is incredibly tenuous in the story itself, which is 99% about Melbourne Storm, which you have not indicated at all in the opening post, and which makes this thread look like a trolling attempt.

If it continues in that way, it will be locked.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, John Drake said:

I've changed the title of this thread, as the link to Toronto is incredibly tenuous in the story itself, which is 99% about Melbourne Storm, which you have not indivated at all in the opening post, and which makes this thread look like a trolling attempt.

If it continues in that way, it will be locked.

It’s actually a story that demonstrates that a fairly new RL club can be successful in a new area and attract successful people to get involved with them, a positive if you like.

But to too many RL fans it’s unwelcome and has to be spun as a warning against them outsiders with their fancy money and cars etc. Why can’t everyone be going broke every few years? It’s the true RL way. 🙄

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, fairfolly said:

Tiwit,

Please explain your "beware S.L. owners". What have they to be wary of, Toronto do not even have a vote,the other 11 S.L. clubs do. Do you honestly think that the S.L. owners will step aside and let Argyle and Co, take over S.L.? Do not bother answering that question I already know the answer.

'Don't get mad, get even.'

Spurned by Super League owners Argyle shifts his interests to Melbourne and then procedes to raid SL for every top-level player they have, effectively reducing SL to the minor league it all too often acts as.

I bet this isn't the answer you were expecting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DimmestStar said:

They can out vote him 11-1 so I don't see why they need be afraid.

And he has more money than all of them put together. In most sporting leagues such ownership would be welcomed. In Super League it's circle the wagons time.

2 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Is this going to be like when Argyle “bought” shares in London Skolars and they’re still waiting on any investment?

Does no one consider the fact that maybe Argyle took a look at Skolar's finances and operations and simply decided they were a bad investment?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TIWIT said:

Does no one consider the fact that maybe Argyle took a look at Skolar's finances and operations and simply decided they were a bad investment?

No what he should have done is pumped millions in and then got told he wasn’t allowed a share of the TV money when they got to SL because it’s more than an hour from the M62. 

20 minutes ago, TIWIT said:

So, he did that after the announcement of the partnership, is what you’re saying?

4 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

So, he did that after the announcement of the partnership, is what you’re saying?

Who made the announcement? Skolar's or Argyle? I would think that there would be paperwork signed by both parties committing to the deal if Argyle actually agreed to it.

Edited by TIWIT

An article barely about Toronto but just the excuse for the usual suspects to find a new stick to beat Toronto with.

• Like 8