Wigan’s Attendances

Eddie

7 minutes ago, Gooleboy said:

Toronto obviously didn't appeal to the part time supporters.

Warrington have made it their amateur club day with junior getting in for a pound, last season game against london got over 12k so clubs can do it. 

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe some of it's financial? When i went up for the wcc last year i was taken aback by the interest in the sport and pride in the club in the town (every pub i went in had pictures of Wigan RL teams and players and quotes on the walls).  A few people i spoke to in the pubs seemed hugely passionate but weren't going to the game.

2 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

When was the last time we played each other six times in a year?

If Saints finish 1st and Wigan 2nd it is feasible they could play each other 5 times in SL alone. Also if they finish 2nd and 3rd it is also feasible - given the top 5 system. Given that they are both entering the Challenge Cup at the last 16 stage, the odds of meeting in the Challenge Cup is also higher than when it was at the top 32 stage. What is unfeasible about that?

5 minutes ago, Scubby said:

If Saints finish 1st and Wigan 2nd it is feasible they could play each other 5 times in SL alone. Also if they finish 2nd and 3rd it is also feasible - given the top 5 system. Given that they are both entering the Challenge Cup at the last 16 stage, the odds of meeting in the Challenge Cup is also higher than when it was at the top 32 stage. What is unfeasible about that?

If your Mum had balls etc.

Doubt we’ve ever played competitive games against Wigan six times in one calendar year. 

2 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

That’s a given and granted Wigan don’t pick the TV games but when clubs play Catalans and now Toronto at home, why don’t they do more to entice people in? 

Can you give us an insight into how they do get more people in for these games. Your marketing knowledge will be an invaluable resource for all clubs not just Wigan.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

1 minute ago, Padge said:

Can you give us an insight into how they do get more people in for these games. Your marketing knowledge will be an invaluable resource for all clubs not just Wigan.

I get what you mean, but Wigan have managed to get 17k+ for the likes of London in the past. That kind of pro-active marketing seems to have disappeared at Wigan which is a shame.

1 minute ago, Scubby said:

I get what you mean, but Wigan have managed to get 17k+ for the likes of London in the past. That kind of pro-active marketing seems to have disappeared at Wigan which is a shame.

Maybe the cost of the marketing outweighed the profit.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Just now, Padge said:

Maybe the cost of the marketing outweighed the profit.

Quite possibly. Depends what you want from the sport. Wigan used to be in the top 2-3 supported rugby clubs in the country. Now they are struggling to stay in the top 10 - which is a shame.

I believe in less than five years wigan will be playing in their own ground robin park in front of a sold out crowd of around 12000 the DW is a waste of space and a money pit for wigan.

Through the fish-eyed lens of tear stained eyes
I can barely define the shape of this moment in time(roger waters)

2 minutes ago, my missus said:

I believe in less than five years wigan will be playing in their own ground robin park in front of a sold out crowd of around 12000 the DW is a waste of space and a money pit for wigan.

History often shows that when a club downsizes often crowds go down too. Be careful what you wish for. Leeds couldn't fill Headingley when the capacity was cut in half due to renovations. 

6 minutes ago, Scubby said:

History often shows that when a club downsizes often crowds go down too. Be careful what you wish for. Leeds couldn't fill Headingley when the capacity was cut in half due to renovations. 

Personally I’d rather watch my team in a full and rocking 12k ground than the same crowd rattling around in a 25k. 

as wigan renovate the complex more of the revenue that is lost every week at the DW is being plowed back into the club a couple of small stands and wigan will be making money again instead of making money for the tics.

2 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Personally I’d rather watch my team in a full and rocking 12k ground than the same crowd rattling around in a 25k. 

Wigan used to play in front of 5,000 in a stadium that had a crowd of 47,747 in it once.

6 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

There’s plenty clubs could do, but seemingly, don’t do, for whatever reason. 

If marketing a game was so bloody easy then every stadium would be full every week.

by the way which club had the most fans through the turnstiles which club had the biggest attendance of the year wigans average dipped because of some very low playoff turnouts and playing saints away rather than at home.

20 minutes ago, Scubby said:

We should have moved wholesale to Elland Road for a season, or at least 60% of our games there. Too many people got out of the habit of going to games - juxtaposed with the downturn in fortunes and the club seeming to focus entirely on the stadium build and maybe taking their eyes off the ball in other areas did not help.

Archived