New European Championship

Mr Plow

4 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

We've had over 20k against France before. If it's an interesting competition, the public take interest. If the competition is the same team we've played about 20 times in the last 6 years, the public have seen it before.

When was that Wellsy we last posted +20k for a French international?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

It won't get fixed by playing France Bert, they just don't offer as an attractive fixture. I lived less than a mile from the LSV for the last French fixture, when I saw the list of how many of the expected strongest French lads had pulled out, I think it was 11 or 12 who couldn't be bothered, I took the same respect and boycotted it myself.

Maybe not in the short term but we need some consistency. An Anzac equivalent at least. It’s just sad that we get 65k at the GF but cannot fill Anfield or Hull against NZ and get 6k vs Fra. What do you think is the reason? I think maybe advertising but it can’t be just that.

4 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

I won't go to Anfield again, I am just about 6'-00" tall and the leg room in those seats must have been modelled from Snow Whites 7 mates, the most uncomfortable arena I have ever been in, and I have visired quite a few.

?

Thats the most iconic club stadium in the country you are describing!

Curious to know, what stand were you in?

I’m the same height (6 foot). The new main stand and the Kop are fine for leg room. The Anfield road end (next to get refurbished) will also have extra leg room, and it will need it. The centenary stand (now Kenny Dalglish stand) i found tight for leg room. I can’t recall the exact measurements (read it a while back) but there was a standard amount of inches between rows that’s since been expanded by two inches I think it is.

The main issue with Anfield is its arguably the least appropriate stadium in the country for rugby league (besides maybe Twickenham). Almost feels like intruding in someone else’s home. I personally find it weird seeing another sport played there...a try at the Kop end. It’s too entrenched in football, that goes for the city too.

4 hours ago, Bert1 said:

My point was how could we not fill the stadiums in Liverpool and Hull. Something is wrong but who knows how to fix it.

There’s a thread on falling crowds at Wigan. Address that and the England tests will take care of themselves. 

I posit it’s due in part to the style of play. A more physical, wrestle dominated, risk averse game is a harder sell, clearly if attendances are anything to go by. Since 2011 attendances have been falling at Wigan, which coincides with the early stages of the Maguire/Wane era. The England vs Australia 2017 RLWC final was the most notable example of this style of play that dominates the game. Purists will have no issue with an 80 minute arm wrestle, but it doesn’t have much appeal outside that. This is the key area for me that needs addressing to get crowds back, and growing.

5 hours ago, DC77 said:

Purists will have no issue with an 80 minute arm wrestle, but it doesn’t have much appeal outside that

What does that mean DC? The most attractive type of Rugby League Football played in very recent times was at Castleford, Mr Powell brought back the 80's style of keeping the ball alive and an expansive type of game, far more attractive than today's give it to the big lad multuple interchange 10 minute monster game that is so very prevalent and popular.

9 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

World Cup 2013 at Wigan.

OK I will go along with that, but that was a special time in RL attendances and that game was a quarter-final, I don't propose to take a negative out of it I was there it was a fantastic atmosphere, even in my town we had a sell out 12,000 for a Cook Island v Tonga game in that tournament which was down to a few people at Redhall who did a fantastic job promoting the tournament. So accepting that you are correct in that example I asked for when was the previous 20K plus v France on home soil, I can quite confidently saw there  hasn't  been one since.

14 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Like this. Shame there’s no England involved in some way. 

They are. It's just that they skip this one because of the Kangaroo tour.

new rise.jpg

16 hours ago, Mr Plow said:

England should be playing in four nations with Australia, New Zealand and Tonga though. But I kind of agree

Yep and it's been said a hundred times here before

We all loved the four nations.... A familiar concept for non fans too

I can say when it has been on it has had the biggest cut through amongst non RL fans here in the South than anything else.... Particularly when held here.... To be honest I think it should be every year and should be in England every year.... The biggest untapped potential market 

It is the only time that pubs in Luton will be showing RL games without me asking them to put it on

This sounds really good but I worry that if teams don't have their best players available then it will garner next to no interest. Also I'd like to see Ireland spread some games around the country although I can't imagine that being possible.

2 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Dare I say it but do we not have enough players for both tournaments?

Putting B teams in international tournaments with A teams works for no one. Our B team don't get a big enough challenge, A team get humiliated by a second string, fans aren't interested and international rugby league is set back.

If we want a second string challenge, either play another second string (like Aussie or Kiwi), a rep team that isn't an international (like All Stars, Exiles) or split them up and do War of Roses as a shop window match and nod to history.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

4 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

OK I will go along with that, but that was a special time in RL attendances and that game was a quarter-final, I don't propose to take a negative out of it I was there it was a fantastic atmosphere, even in my town we had a sell out 12,000 for a Cook Island v Tonga game in that tournament which was down to a few people at Redhall who did a fantastic job promoting the tournament. So accepting that you are correct in that example I asked for when was the previous 20K plus v France on home soil, I can quite confidently saw there  hasn't  been one since.

If we promote it as a big deal, people will turn up. We've shown that. I'm sure we pretty much sold out Keepmoat Stadium in the first 4 Nations match against them also (yet failed to sell out DW for the game against the Aussies).

I have no doubt we can sell a match against the French. We just can't expect a positive response if we don't organise it with respect ourselves. Banging it in a small ground in a small town in the middle of the week will never work. It's like the holy trinity of unimportant match (We may never be able to avoid all three, but we can ignore 2 of those criteria at least).

8 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Putting B teams in international tournaments with A teams works for no one. Our B team don't get a big enough challenge, A team get humiliated by a second string, fans aren't interested and international rugby league is set back.

If we want a second string challenge, either play another second string (like Aussie or Kiwi), a rep team that isn't an international (like All Stars, Exiles) or split them up and do War of Roses as a shop window match and nod to history.

If you devalue it and call it England A or B or whatever, then you get problems. 

2 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

If you devalue it and call it England A or B or whatever, then you get problems. 

Totally agree. The England side that played Jamaica last October didn't need to be called the Knights - England's best were playing for GB. Our team could have played a couple of Tests against Jamaica and maybe and Ireland or Scotland during their bye weeks in some of the smaller super league venues aiming to average 15k.

By calling things England A or whatever it just asks for it to be not taken seriously by the media.

3 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Totally agree. The England side that played Jamaica last October didn't need to be called the Knights - England's best were playing for GB. Our team could have played a couple of Tests against Jamaica and maybe and Ireland or Scotland during their bye weeks in some of the smaller super league venues aiming to average 15k.

By calling things England A or whatever it just asks for it to be not taken seriously by the media.

Wasn’t the attendance vs Jamaica quite good too? 

1 minute ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Wasn’t the attendance vs Jamaica quite good too? 

Over 7k, good atmosphere too considering it was Freezing! 

I feel like if this was pushed more we could have had a 75% full Headingley and then another test perhaps at Warrington or Saints too.

1 hour ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Yep and it's been said a hundred times here before

We all loved the four nations.... A familiar concept for non fans too

I can say when it has been on it has had the biggest cut through amongst non RL fans here in the South than anything else.... Particularly when held here.... To be honest I think it should be every year and should be in England every year.... The biggest untapped potential market 

It is the only time that pubs in Luton will be showing RL games without me asking them to put it on

Yeah. The game needs a second major international competition. Hopefully a more competitive Euro Championships will help develop the European nations and it can expand to Five Nations

24 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

And the public also recognise a bargain when you have double headers. 

Double headers are usually just curtain raisers for a main event. The curtain raiser usually has very few going. People pay for the main event.

It is devaluing our product and makes literally no sense to do this at all if the plan is to just tag it on to another match. That's proper rugby league thinking there.

The only time I'd have a double header is if both matches are of an equal standing and they add to the interest of each other. Semi finals for example.

25 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

When I said England A, I didn't mean the name, I meant in practice (because that's what it is).

Archived