Inside The George Hotel - as it is now

I saw a link to this video on Facebook today, and watching it made me feel quite sad. 

It's an inside tour of The George Hotel, as it is now, filmed by a couple of chaps who clearly do not have permission to be in there.

It's still recognisable inside, but was undergoing a never completed renovation at the time it closed, and it looks like it was just abandoned. You can see the extent of the work that would be required for it to be brought back into any kind of use in future.

The saddest bit is around the 9 minute mark on the video when they reach what used to be the Rugby League museum in there. All the posters and photographs are still up on the wall. The significance of it is lost on the two blokes recording the video, which says a lot about how badly Rugby League has promoted its own heritage beyond its own little bubble over the years.

4 minutes ago, John Drake said:

I saw a link to this video on Facebook today, and watching it made me feel quite sad. 

It's an inside tour of The George Hotel, as it is now, filmed by a couple of chaps who clearly do not have permission to be in there.

It's still recognisable inside, but was undergoing a never completed renovation at the time it closed, and it looks like it was just abandoned. You can see the extent of the work that would be required for it to be brought back into any kind of use in future.

The saddest bit is around the 9 minute mark on the video when they reach what used to be the Rugby League museum in there. All the posters and photographs are still up on the wall. The significance of it is lost on the two blokes recording the video, which says a lot about how badly Rugby League has promoted its own heritage beyond its own little bubble over the years.

Sad to see this. Maybe the RL community could lobby the new government to get the National Trust involved to help run it as a museum/function centre or some such thing. The Tory government wants to invest in the north maybe some funding is available? 

4 hours ago, John Drake said:

Well apart from the being complete numpties, I wouldn't get too upset. They thought coffee flavourings were bottles of booze. 

4 hours ago, John Drake said:

A good few of these groups about.  Usually kids from Uni doing architectural design or photography.  

Flash of Mick Stevo on the pictures as well John.  Was always a good vibe in the museum.

That will be a damp old building.  Left, it will deteriorate more and more.

7 hours ago, John Drake said:

That's a really interesting and yet sad video. 

Such a beautiful building too.

3 hours ago, Wildcat said:

That's a really interesting and yet sad video. 

Such a beautiful building too.

Huddersfield is full of such beautiful buildings many of which stand empty due to their entirely impractical nature for most modern purposes.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

6 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Huddersfield is full of such beautiful buildings many of which stand empty due to their entirely impractical nature for most modern purposes.

Over here they would be developed and turned into lofts/condos immediately with a huge makeup...the real estate market here is so hot its unreal...buildings like that command a premium after they are done; even after the huge markup.

11 hours ago, Newguy said:

Sad to see this. Maybe the RL community could lobby the new government to get the National Trust involved to help run it as a museum/function centre or some such thing. The Tory government wants to invest in the north maybe some funding is available? 

Argyle should buy it...fix it up as lofts..... and then let the Wolfpack live/train  there.

Pretty please, for the love of $deity, don't let this become another surrogate Canadian rugby thread. Not even in jest, as some people have the self-awareness of a rugby union journalist in how bloody boring they've become on the subject.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

1 minute ago, ckn said:

Pretty please, for the love of $deity, don't let this become another surrogate Canadian rugby thread. Not even in jest, as some people have the self-awareness of a rugby union journalist in how bloody boring they've become on the subject.

It was just an idea off the top of my head...that is how I think.  Please keep them away.... Please for the Love of God keep them away!: "...Sshoooo!     SMACK!  KAPOW!"

2 hours ago, Kayakman said:

Over here they would be developed and turned into lofts/condos immediately with a huge makeup...the real estate market here is so hot its unreal...buildings like that command a premium after they are done; even after the huge markup.

Try a week in Huddersfield KM. Your speculative appetite might be tempered just a little.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

4 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

The same thing struck me about the "Little Germany" of Bradford while wandering around there in 2004. I don't know what it's like now but, back then, every second building seemed to be vacant, and they beautiful.

I predict that towns like Huddersfield will start to see the benefit of people moving out of London to settle up North, a trend that had risen dramatically in the last ten years, as people look beyond the more obvious big cities which are also expensive to live in.  It might take ten more years but I think town centre buildings like that will have their day again.

The local council has recently concluded a consultation period with local residents and released a blueprint for the redevelopment of Huddersfield town centre this week.

The George Hotel is earmarked for redevelopment as part of the Station Gateway zone, but I don't know any more than that.

Minä rakastan rugbyliigaa!

28 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:

The local council has recently concluded a consultation period with local residents and released a blueprint for the redevelopment of Huddersfield town centre this week.

The George Hotel is earmarked for redevelopment as part of the Station Gateway zone, but I don't know any more than that.

IIRC the owner of The George had some plans for the building approved last year and he was trying to attract businesses that would use parts of the building.

E pur si muove?

As someone who has actually stayed at the George, approximately 15 years ago, I found the video pretty sad. I stayed in a room on the top floor but the lift did not go all the way to the top floor, for some strange reason (as the video shows). So I had to drag my heavy suitcase up the stairs to get to my room. In any future renovations, installing a new lift to take guests all the way to the top floor would seem to me to be necessary for life in the 21st century.

When I stayed there the furnishings were old, nothing like those shown in the one renovated room. If the new owners could renovate the hotel it could be pretty nice, although the rooms are very, very small, so I don't know how any new owners would be able to charge the prices that would be needed to pay for the renovations. They might consider merging sets of two rooms into single luxury suites, although again I don't know if the potential clientele would be willing to pay for such quality accommodation.

It is a pity that the RFL is in no financial position to buy and renovate the hotel, with the rugby league museum in the basement, because a properly renovated George Hotel would almost certainly run at a loss for years.

Maybe the redevelopment of the Huddersfield town centre will make the hotel a viable economic proposition for someone with the willingness to sustain early losses for a few years.

Should Toronto be able to maintain its place in Super League, perhaps we could propose the idea of buying the hotel to David Argyle??

I live in Huddersfield and have done for a very long time.

There is no demand nor need for any new hotels as there is nothing to attract people to the town in the first instance and there are plenty of hotels already. The RFL would be throwing good money after bad if they had any involvement with the George; thankfully they don't have any money to do so nor any inclination. Ever since its construction it has been a financial burden for whoever owned it.

The town centre redevelopment is a pipedream as it has been for the last 30 years. The town also lies on one of the busiest and most congested railway corridors in the country which may be improved shortly after HS3.

The current owner of the building has had a number of plans for its redevelopment none of which have gone beyong the drawing board. It will actually be redeveloped into a thriving and viable building shortly after Castleford and Wakefield have completed their stadium developments.

The only currently thriving businesses are student flats and tattoo parlours. Maybe there is a commercial opportunity there somewhere.

Those blokes seem to get very excited about mundane stuff.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

20 hours ago, ckn said:

Waatchyoou talking aboot @ckn, eh?

"Australia is a spoiled nation. They can expect my revenge. I'm not crazy when I say this, they are the crazy ones who give you hot sausages before the match when it's 40 degrees celsius outside."

--------------------------

"Shifty Matty Petersen trying to get in there with a little five-fingered discount." Franklin Field, Philadelphia, 30/11/2004

--------------------------

FourthThird Second Best Statement Ever: Student Ram 02/06/2004 (Without a trace of irony): "... because, when you think about it, really... Wakefield is kind of the centre of the universe. You know, both ways, you've got..."

Followed by a half a minute justification of this point of view.

12 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

I live in Huddersfield and have done for a very long time.

There is no demand nor need for any new hotels as there is nothing to attract people to the town in the first instance and there are plenty of hotels already. The RFL would be throwing good money after bad if they had any involvement with the George; thankfully they don't have any money to do so nor any inclination. Ever since its construction it has been a financial burden for whoever owned it.

The town centre redevelopment is a pipedream as it has been for the last 30 years. The town also lies on one of the busiest and most congested railway corridors in the country which may be improved shortly after HS3.

The current owner of the building has had a number of plans for its redevelopment none of which have gone beyong the drawing board. It will actually be redeveloped into a thriving and viable building shortly after Castleford and Wakefield have completed their stadium developments.

The only currently thriving businesses are student flats and tattoo parlours. Maybe there is a commercial opportunity there somewhere.

Don't forget the beauty salons/nail bars and Turkish barbers!

Archived