Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Mr Plow

Tom Johnstone

Recommended Posts

I am old enough to remember when the players were skilful and the game was entertaining.

  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wanna see Johnstone and Manfredi get through the season unscathed , then our options are looking really strong . Those are sure fire international standard with Makinson and JMc

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I wanna see Johnstone and Manfredi get through the season unscathed , then our options are looking really strong . Those are sure fire international standard with Makinson and JMc

Indeed. Imagine if come the Ashes we were selecting from a fit and firing Manfredi, Johnstone and Makinson for the wing spots... three fantastic wingers.

Would almost be enough to erase the memory of the last international window.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Indeed. Imagine if come the Ashes we were selecting from a fit and firing Manfredi, Johnstone and Makinson for the wing spots... three fantastic wingers.

Would almost be enough to erase the memory of the last international window.

Can one play centre ?

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

I’d like to see Tom Johnstone at Leeds

Wakefield at your place is on 21st June.

ūüėČ

  • Haha 3

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where's Kirmond's Pouch these days?

Tom Johnstone's a great talent, I just hope he has a prolonged, injury free run in Wakey's team to give him chance to challenge for an international spot. Sadly he does seem blighted with setbacks, some of which have been season finishing for him which is a great shame.


                                                                        RADFORD OUT!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Indeed. Imagine if come the Ashes we were selecting from a fit and firing Manfredi, Johnstone and Makinson for the wing spots... three fantastic wingers.

Would almost be enough to erase the memory of the last international window.

What and drop Blake Austin, you must be jokingūüėú

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, DavidM said:

Can one play centre ?

Why would you want to play an out and out winger in the centre position, for God's sake David you sound like Wayne Bennett I thought you were much better than that.  

Centre is probably the most technical position on the field, they control the wide defensive line, when to slide, when to go in early, when to hang back, send the winger back to field kicks, bring the winger in or tell him to stay out wide, and the offensive game they have to employ covers a multitude of disciplines which only the best can accomplish.

It has always puzzled me how and why so called very good coaches, see the centre position as a fill in, is it because in the modern game we have second row forwards who play out wide (seemingly permanently) it is assumed they can play centre, but the thing is they have a centre on the field who is doing all the organising for them, left on their own in that position either causes problems or shows up their inadequacies in that position, and the same can be said about Hardacre he is never a centre as long as he has a hole where the sun don't shine.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Indeed. Imagine if come the Ashes we were selecting from a fit and firing Manfredi, Johnstone and Makinson for the wing spots... three fantastic wingers.

Would almost be enough to erase the memory of the last international window.

Given our lack of quality centre's,even if fit they will struggle to make an impression.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Given our lack of quality centre's,even if fit they will struggle to make an impression.

I think the days of a wingers contribution to a game being dependent on his centres quality are gone.

Look at the Roosters last night, Tupou was one of their most effective and dangerous players and yet his centre Crichton was relatively quiet and certainly the least dangerous of the Roosters backline.

Good wingers find a way to impact the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I think the days of a wingers contribution to a game being dependent on his centres quality are gone.

Look at the Roosters last night, Tupou was one of their most effective and dangerous players and yet his centre Crichton was relatively quiet and certainly the least dangerous of the Roosters backline.

Good wingers find a way to impact the game.

OK, but had Tupou had quality inside of him do you not consider he would have had much more impact on the game, surely that goes without saying that the better the centre the better the winger should perform.

PS would Solomana and Minikin scored as many tries as they did without Shenton inside them, I don't  think so.

Edited by Harry Stottle
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

OK, but had Tupou had quality inside of him do you not consider he would have had much more impact on the game, surely that goes without saying that the better the centre the better the winger should perform.

PS would Solomana and Minikin scored as many tries as they did without Shenton inside them, I don't  think so.

Of course a quality centre helps a winger massively. My point was that a winger can contribute even without this.

From memory I don't remember Crichton offering Tupou quality ball but he still had a big game. In the modern game, it is just as likely that a stand off or full back will throw a scoring pass to a winger... of he may score from a kick.

My overall point is that England having two quality wingers is useful even if our centres were not world class.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Who would be your contenders for the international team Dav?

Pretty slim pickings H,Watkins if he can find some form this year in the NRL,Gildart  & Percival are 2 but I have doubts about their physicality to play Test rugby,Connor is the most creative but is a revolving door in defence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...