Nice article about Irish players coming through

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Does the Irish press usually give RL vitriol then?

In the past they've done so, yes (on the very rare occasion they've had reason to acknowledge RL's existence).   I know this as I've lived in Ireland. 

EDIT:   I found the average Irish 'man on the street' curious and sometimes complimentary about RL.   It's just certain individuals with a 'perceived status' along with some negative stories from the press that I'm referring to, which I guess is just like our situation over here ?

46 minutes ago, Cheshire Setter said:

In the past they've done so, yes (on the very rare occasion they've had reason to acknowledge RL's existence).   I know this as I've lived in Ireland. 

EDIT:   I found the average Irish 'man on the street' curious and sometimes complimentary about RL.   It's just certain individuals with a 'perceived status' along with some negative stories from the press that I'm referring to, which I guess is just like our situation over here ?

Cheers, I was pretty surprised that RL ever got a mention at all!

It would be great if the Longhorns or another Dublin club got in our league system - obviously they’re too far from the M62 for some people and there’s the problem of players getting time off work to make the 1 hour flight but other than that....

It's a great article and great exposure for Peter. He's in his 3rd season now and looking good for this year after an injury hit season last year. The Bears have had some other Irish players (from the Irish game) , most notably Mikey Russell who was a real talent but moved back home for personal reasons. The Bears also have Fiach Millward signed for this year. It may be a little early for him due to lack of experience but he looks a real talent. 

The talent is there in Ireland and the RFL/Superleague would do well to fund an academy. I can guarantee there would be a conveyer belt of talent. 

34 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

It's a great article and great exposure for Peter. He's in his 3rd season now and looking good for this year after an injury hit season last year. The Bears have had some other Irish players (from the Irish game) , most notably Mikey Russell who was a real talent but moved back home for personal reasons. The Bears also have Fiach Millward signed for this year. It may be a little early for him due to lack of experience but he looks a real talent. 

The talent is there in Ireland and the RFL/Superleague would do well to fund an academy. I can guarantee there would be a conveyer belt of talent. 

Agreed fully, if the RFL had any money (and strategy) it would be one of the many places where an academy could bear fruit. Sadly will never happen unless there is some serious serious investment in the game, and for some reason the RFL and SL don’t seem to want that. 

Archived