Championship clubs consider structure changes

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Again , why do we need to shorten something that lasts less than 2 hours ?

Its definitely a much more entertaining form of the sport.

Surely its better to promote something with the flair of 9's to hopefully attract them to the more attrition based game of 13 a side?

6 minutes ago, Baldyfield said:

Surely its better to promote something with the flair of 9's to hopefully attract them to the more attrition based game of 13 a side?

I think you hit the nail on the head.

And I am not for one minute saying ditch the 13 a side game like I would never say ditch test match cricket.

I say that say a 9s competition should be alongside the existing format and if done right etc then it might bring people in through the turnstiles and put asses on seats.

3 minutes ago, Robthegasman said:

As has been said shorter formats where there has been more freedom and flair has got asses on seats.

In cricket where the shortest format lasted a whole day previously , and half the crowd had a nap halfway through 

10 minutes ago, Baldyfield said:

No it isn't 

1 minute ago, Robthegasman said:

I think you hit the nail on the head.

And I am not for one minute saying ditch the 13 a side game like I would never say ditch test match cricket.

I say that say a 9s competition should be alongside the existing format and if done right etc then it might bring people in through the turnstiles and put asses on seats.

Like it did last time we tried it ?

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

In cricket where the shortest format lasted a whole day previously , and half the crowd had a nap halfway through 

But there is now 20/20 or T20 and that gets people excited because for want of a better phrase the players can throw caution to the wind and thrash the ball out a bit.

And I doubt they would fall asleep whilst the game is on,unless of course they are p155ed after drinking too much ale??

5 minutes ago, Robthegasman said:

But there is now 20/20 or T20 and that gets people excited because for want of a better phrase the players can throw caution to the wind and thrash the ball out a bit.

And I doubt they would fall asleep whilst the game is on,unless of course they are p155ed after drinking too much ale??

So because cricket was immensely boring , partly because it lasted all day , you think we should shorten RL that lasts less than 2 hours ?

As I posted above , like it worked last time we tried it ?

2 minutes ago, Robthegasman said:

I cannot remember the last time it was done tbh.

But if the game outside of Super League is to survive then we have to think of ways that will arouse interest.

It was tried about a decade ago , I remember travelling up to Blackpool along with about 300 others in total to watch a night of 9s , it lost money 

5 minutes ago, Robthegasman said:

I cannot remember the last time it was done tbh.

But if the game outside of Super League is to survive then we have to think of ways that will arouse interest.

Indeed we do 

Playing a different game isn't that 

6 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Not necessarily. 

The financial aspect whilst obviously necessary isnt a determining factor in what the leagues are for.

What is the reason behind league1? What does it exist for?

Is it a development league? If so then it should be structured to provide the best incubator for clubs. If that's as a regional league, then fine. Why not have local conferences and a play off. Whether you have 75k or not is an added extra. 

If they are spending that 75k on simply existing rather than developing then its wasting money.

The same with the championship. If clubs are needing a hand out from SL to be sustainable then they arent sustainable. 

The money coming down from SL should be for doing things, not just to keep going. 

L1 and the championship should operate at a level where if they get nothing from SL they continue to operate. If they get millions from SL that is invested in building them.

Plan for the best, prepare for the worst. 

The traditional clubs would survive through it , the new south , probably not , quite simply their travel costs just wouldn't be there 

Anyway you're beating around the bush as usual , you want an end to automatic P and R , then the lower tiers can ' find their purpose ' 

57 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Were the northern rail 9s massively worse than say the 1895 cup? Or most L1 or even championship attendances?

At least the 1895 Cup, League 1 and Championship are playing rugby league.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

11 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Then why are the south clubs wasting money travelling up and down the country? What purpose is that serving if it's not making any money but is in fact costing loads?

Why divert money to simply pay for lower league clubs to rent buses for these teams to travel. What purpose is the travelling serving.

It's not really about P+R, in fact the focus on it is a big problem. Again the lower leagues as a whole and the clubs individually need to pretty much ignore it. If its exist great, if it doesnt fine. It should be an irrelevance. 

We can have a regional structure with or with P+R, we can have a national structure with or without P+R.

What the championship and L1 look like shouldnt really change whether we have P+R franchising or any anything else. 

Look like ? 

So what should it ' look like ' ?

50 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Let's be clear here , a pre season 9 s in southern France/northern Spain with some French teams invited ? Love it 

A 9 s series held during the season ? , No chance 

So just to get this straight, some Championship and League One fans are on here predicting the sky will fall when the next set of TV negotiations happens but want their part-time clubs, made up of blokes who work full time, to pay to fly to France for a long weekend, likely 3-4 days, to play in a tournament in balmy 11 degree heat, which is Carcassonne’s highest temperature this month? 

Its good that we are actively engaging with chairmen and key personnel early on. I wonder if they could have a split East/West so you have Super league (national/International) and then 2 divisions of equal standings say Championship East and Championship West (could be different names) with all Championship and league 1 clubs involved that way the playoffs could involve both divisions and the winner could still be promoted to Super League

2 minutes ago, HarrogateKnights said:

Its good that we are actively engaging with chairmen and key personnel early on. I wonder if they could have a split East/West so you have Super league (national/International) and then 2 divisions of equal standings say Championship East and Championship West (could be different names) with all Championship and league 1 clubs involved that way the playoffs could involve both divisions and the winner could still be promoted to Super League

I can only imagine what Leigh, or do I say Toronto, would do to West Wales. Ouch. I think there’s too much of a disparity between the top of the Championship and bottom of League One. 

Just now, Hela Wigmen said:

I can only imagine what Leigh, or do I say Toronto, would do to West Wales. Ouch. I think there’s too much of a disparity between the top of the Championship and bottom of League One. 

There is a clear gap, but you either have to say to those teams thanks but no thanks or find a way to accommodate them 

11 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

So just to get this straight, some Championship and League One fans are on here predicting the sky will fall when the next set of TV negotiations happens but want their part-time clubs, made up of blokes who work full time, to pay to fly to France for a long weekend, likely 3-4 days, to play in a tournament in balmy 11 degree heat, which is Carcassonne’s highest temperature this month? 

You are mixing 2 arguments into 1 here 

I ( that's me , my opinion ) believe that if the current levels of funding the new southern expansion clubs in the south will struggle to survive due to the travel costs , that's one part of the discussion , got that ? 

I ( that's me , my opinion ) believe that the only interest in a 9 s type competition from Championship ( possibly Newcastle as well ) clubs fans would be if it was a pre season event in France or Spain ( as we recently saw with the Valencia/Fev match ) involving some French clubs , yes it might require some PT players having a couple of days off work , but that is my opinion , you might believe differently , an opinion you are entitled to , just out of interest , would you attend a Championship 9 s tournament held in the UK , mid season ?

Archived