Championship clubs consider structure changes

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have the Championship clubs got wind of a proposed restructuring by the SL, especially in the form of no more P&R or a licensed closed shop being introduced, and of course Leneghans much published no more funding being awarded below SL level.

As I have said in the past, let those who teams (about 5 or 6) who consider themselves aloof from the rest to "go away in short jerky movements" and form their own league and leave the rest to carry on with the game.

3 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

The lower leagues will, I imagine, put in place a plan over the next couple of years that covers all bases should Super League decide a, b or c. 

Not really no they won't/can't , their future is totally linked to what the top tier does , until they decide , nothing can really happen IMO

The September 2018 "peace deal" resolved these issues at least through the next TV contract. P&R will be maintained as will a distribution of TV money. The SL clubs will remain part of the RFL structure and the next TV deal will be concluded under the auspices of the governing body. 

The price the Ch/L1 clubs had to pay for this was to accept that the SL would keep the lion's share of any additional revenues in an increased TV deal, or that SL would keep a bigger share of a reduced deal. And SL would have full operational control of their competition. Let's not create division where there is none. 

https://www.rugby-league.com/article/53429/a-new-agreement-for-rugby-league

There was discussion but no serious conclusions were reached. However at least there is a general recognition that changes are necessary particularly in the light of a possible end to Sky money for Championship clubs after the end of the 2021 season. Don't expect anything to happen quickly but the clubs are agreed that any changes to be introduced should be fully understood before the end of this season allowing the clubs to prepare for 2021 in the full knowledge of what they will be competing for.

This sounds much too sensible for RL to be frank.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

24 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

The September 2018 "peace deal" resolved these issues at least through the next TV contract. P&R will be maintained as will a distribution of TV money. The SL clubs will remain part of the RFL structure and the next TV deal will be concluded under the auspices of the governing body. 

The price the Ch/L1 clubs had to pay for this was to accept that the SL would keep the lion's share of any additional revenues in an increased TV deal, or that SL would keep a bigger share of a reduced deal. And SL would have full operational control of their competition. Let's not create division where there is none. 

https://www.rugby-league.com/article/53429/a-new-agreement-for-rugby-league

Totally agree . It's entirely up to getting a better broadcasting deal. If that doesn't happen then it's the lower part of our game that suffers. SL relatively ring fenced.

I have a copy of the Agreement but not sure it's in the public domain. All RFL council members have it. Would make an interesting read if posted here by those in the know.....

Deviation by SL from that would I believe  hasten the demise of the game

2 minutes ago, Robthegasman said:

For me the big question which no one has yet answered and I will be frank and blunt,how many clubs in their current guise will still be here come the start of 2022?

Until we see the broadcast deal , it is a question nobody can answer 

4 minutes ago, del capo said:

Totally agree . It's entirely up to getting a better broadcasting deal. If that doesn't happen then it's the lower part of our game that suffers. SL relatively ring fenced.

I have a copy of the Agreement but not sure it's in the public domain. All RFL council members have it. Would make an interesting read if posted here by those in the know.....

Deviation by SL from that would I believe  hasten the demise of the game

There's no real incentive for SL to deviate at this point in time. They got full control of their competition and the majority of revenues, and even they can see that there's very little net benefit to them at this point in time of ringfencing, or stopping all payments to the lower leagues. 

3 or 4 years down the line, who knows? But that's an argument for the future, there's nothing to see now, so each tier need to be cracking on with making their own competitions work, while EVERYONE should be thinking about what their part is in making the 2021 World Cup a success. 

30 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Not really no they won't/can't , their future is totally linked to what the top tier does , until they decide , nothing can really happen IMO

To an extent, they can be proactive, not reactive. 

Many expect Super League to do one of three or four things when it comes to the next TV negotiations and structure changes in 2021 and rather than wait, let Super League make its decision then sit and hold their own inquest and decide where to go next, now is the time to work out what current lower league clubs want to do should certain situations arise and talking about the next steps now allows teams to iron out any issues or problems they may have. 

4 minutes ago, Robthegasman said:

For me the big question which no one has yet answered and I will be frank and blunt,how many clubs in their current guise will still be here come the start of 2022?

Any current clubs who don’t make it to 2022 cannot blame a TV deal for their demise. 

Archived