Sign in to follow this  
Total Rugby League

New York plan Cup entry in 2021

I’ll have to wait until my copy of TRL arrives to read this as I don’t have a log in. Would be good to see NY in the 2020 cup though 👍

Edited by Eddie

I’m guessing that says that it’s more unlikely they’ll be in League One next year, so the question is, who is going to play for them in the Challenge Cup next year if they aren’t playing league games?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, RugbyLad said:

Who’s going to pay for the amateur sides flights and accommodation in the first few rounds if they manage to get a home game ?

It will, I imagine, be like Toronto or Red Star Belgrade, where they’ll play away regardless of the draw. 

Not according to Aaron Bower on twitter. 

Excl: New York are holding ‘constructive talks’ with the RFL over entering the Challenge Cup in 2021 irrespective of whether they’re admitted to League 1. They’ll enter in round one and will play their home games in NYC if all goes to plan. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RugbyLad said:

Who’s going to pay for the amateur sides flights and accommodation in the first few rounds if they manage to get a home game ?

Bloody hell. That’s crazy, especially for the amateur sides. 

It would be NYC who would have to pay these costs, just like NYC will be expected to pay these costs for any League 1 / Championship / Super League teams they may face if they are ever added to the pyramid.

1 hour ago, Hela Wigmen said:

I’m guessing that says that it’s more unlikely they’ll be in League One next year, so the question is, who is going to play for them in the Challenge Cup next year if they aren’t playing league games?

Maybe they'll take the approach of Valencia and organise a series of friendlies to build up interest in the side with the hope of entering in 2022?

• Like 1

signature.jpg

Theyve done it once already with TWP.  Do keep up RL.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

27 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Which amateur side did the TWP host in the Challenge Cup

31 minutes ago, Yakstorm said:

It would be NYC who would have to pay these costs, just like NYC will be expected to pay these costs for any League 1 / Championship / Super League teams they may face if they are ever added to the pyramid.

Maybe they'll take the approach of Valencia and organise a series of friendlies to build up interest in the side with the hope of entering in 2022?

I hope it does work. Think TWP is great for the game. Would love to see a strong Canada/USA league eventually. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Good question. It's not a serious proposal if you ask me. It'll be more akin to rounding up a bunch of semi-pro ringers for an exhibition match. 

Frankly if they want to promote rugby league ahead of joining L1 a year later, they'd be better off getting the Wolfpack to play one of their loop games in NY. At least it would be a proper contest between two teams with top division professional players. 

1 hour ago, Toby Chopra said:

Good question. It's not a serious proposal if you ask me. It'll be more akin to rounding up a bunch of semi-pro ringers for an exhibition match. 

Frankly if they want to promote rugby league ahead of joining L1 a year later, they'd be better off getting the Wolfpack to play one of their loop games in NY. At least it would be a proper contest between two teams with top division professional players. 

I think there was an attempt last year to get Salford v leeds out there.

However the cup next year for a 2022 entry would give them a chance to get the best us players and youngsters together and give them a couple of games against good amateur and lower league sides. 

20 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

I think there was an attempt last year to get Salford v leeds out there.

However the cup next year for a 2022 entry would give them a chance to get the best us players and youngsters together and give them a couple of games against good amateur and lower league sides. 

Is the NYC proposal to use US players and youngsters in L1? If so they'll make West Wales Raiders look competitive... 

3 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

Is the NYC proposal to use US players and youngsters in L1? If so they'll make West Wales Raiders look competitive... 

Well I doubt they'll be going ' Toronto ' and spending millions to play 3/4 games in the Challenge Cup 

Possibly a good way to test the water for a game or two and find out if they do have any local talent 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

I dont think so, I think there is more expectation that ottawa will do but NYC seem to be closer to Toronto in terms of expected signings. 

But if they can get a couple of US players, that would be great

6 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Bloody hell. That’s crazy, especially for the amateur sides. 

Why, it would be amazing. Are you seriously saying you don’t think a team of NCL players would want to do this as a one off, instead preferring to draw  West Bank away?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Toby Chopra said:

There are a lot of Union players in the USA who would easily hold their own against WWR. 

39 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Why, it would be amazing. Are you seriously saying you don’t think a team of NCL players would want to do this as a one off, instead preferring to draw  West Bank away?

They might want to however, unless New York are funding the whole cost of flights, insurance, necessary baggage and accommodation, you’re asking amateur clubs, who, IMO, are criminally underfunded in comparison to some clubs in the “professional” game, to pay a five figure sum to play a game of Rugby. 

You also have to think about availability of players and officials of the clubs too. Yeah, it’s New York and yeah, it’s a chance of a lifetime etc etc but it’s merely a hobby for most of these lads and days off work for the employed and self employed are limited as it is and New York, I assume, would be a 4-5 day trip due to jet lag etc, much like when sides travel to Toronto.

1 minute ago, Hela Wigmen said:

They might want to however, unless New York are funding the whole cost of flights, insurance, necessary baggage and accommodation, you’re asking amateur clubs, who, IMO, are criminally underfunded in comparison to some clubs in the “professional” game, to pay a five figure sum to play a game of Rugby. 

You also have to think about availability of players and officials of the clubs too. Yeah, it’s New York and yeah, it’s a chance of a lifetime etc etc but it’s merely a hobby for most of these lads and days off work for the employed and self employed are limited as it is and New York, I assume, would be a 4-5 day trip due to jet lag etc, much like when sides travel to Toronto.

Jet lag isn’t a massive issue on the east coast, and of course the amateur clubs won’t have to pay for flights etc. 

Obviously none of us know without asking them but I’d have thought the vast majority of players would jump at the chance to take a couple of days annual leave and go to NY to play. I know I would if I was lucky enough to be playing in the NCL. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

There are a lot of Union players in the USA who would easily hold their own against WWR. 

Which ones? I don't buy it. If a team made up union players can easily play league then it would have been done before. Its never worked, not because they aren't decent sportsmen, but because they're different sports. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toby Chopra said:

Which ones? I don't buy it. If a team made up union players can easily play league then it would have been done before. Its never worked, not because they aren't decent sportsmen, but because they're different sports. 

Because they usually get paid more in Union so why would they swap over? However I assume NY will have a big budget so might be able to attract some of MLR’s top players.