Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
marklaspalmas

Challenge Cup 5th round draw

Recommended Posts

One interesting thing about the Challenge Cup this year, all the rounds have been kept clear of Championship fixtures. I might be wrong but from memory in previous years if you got through the first couple of rounds then you were having to rearrange Championship games.

It's more likely to be the 1895 Cup, with potentially two rounds to be played mid-week, that will prove a burden on a team like us that has a very small squad.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

One interesting thing about the Challenge Cup this year, all the rounds have been kept clear of Championship fixtures. I might be wrong but from memory in previous years if you got through the first couple of rounds then you were having to rearrange Championship games.

It's more likely to be the 1895 Cup, with potentially two rounds to be played mid-week, that will prove a burden on a team like us that has a very small squad.

Unlike the other Championship clubs, you mean?


Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Remembering how it was structured if we win this one we are in the last 16. The best part of it, as the winner will be a SL team, is that we should get some nice additional  revenue. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking at the draw I reckon the eight to go through will be : Wakefield, Widnes, Sheffield, Dewsbury, Featherstone, Huddersfield, Leigh and York. Then in the next round making it 16 clubs participating they will be joined by: Wigan, Cas, St Helens, Leeds, Warrington, Hull, Salford, and Hull KR. Think I have it right. Some possible tasty opposition depending on us beating Hunslet of course. At least we should have Chisholm and Lockwood and a few players who are now injured participating by then. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A few wires crossed, read Catalans for Hull KR, and do you think Hull KR v Leigh will be an away win.?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would be a perfect opportunity to re-arrange the Halifax fixture. Fax are out of the cup and don't have a game the weekend we will be playing Hunslet, so why not play it the Wednesday before, 11th March? Hopefully Rovers will still be able to overcome Hunslet 4 days later, but if not it's probably better than losing a league game due to playing mid-week?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Steve Slater said:

It would be a perfect opportunity to re-arrange the Halifax fixture. Fax are out of the cup and don't have a game the weekend we will be playing Hunslet, so why not play it the Wednesday before, 11th March? Hopefully Rovers will still be able to overcome Hunslet 4 days later, but if not it's probably better than losing a league game due to playing mid-week?

Play it in the summer when the pitches are dried out

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Steve Slater said:

It would be a perfect opportunity to re-arrange the Halifax fixture. Fax are out of the cup and don't have a game the weekend we will be playing Hunslet, so why not play it the Wednesday before, 11th March? Hopefully Rovers will still be able to overcome Hunslet 4 days later, but if not it's probably better than losing a league game due to playing mid-week?

 

10 hours ago, elppaxr2i said:

Play it in the summer when the pitches are dried out

Also, the 6th round, quarter finals and semi finals of the CC are all on dates where there are no Championship games scheduled, so unless we have an extraordinary cup run, it makes more sense to play the game on a weekend rather than a midweek with a short turnaround.

Edited by The Phantom Horseman
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow! Never really checked the fixture list for blank weekends, which everyone hates. Perhaps it would be better taking a chance on waiting, although success in the Challenge and/or 1895 cups could throw a spanner in the works? Better weather will also produce a better game and weekend summer fixtures bring more through the gate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Think that the financial benefit isn’t as great these days, as the cup matches don’t seem to be popular. Maybe a home draw against Cas or Wakey, Hull might be different though. Got to beat Hunslet first though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...