Challenge Cup Fifth Round Draw

GUBRATS

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

Remember in, say, the FA cup this is what happens too. The top clubs only come in once hundreds of of non-league and even pro L1 and L2 teams have whittled themselves down from around 400 teams to 20. And football has greater strength in depth, and fewer safety issues. 

I think the Challenge Cup broadly has it right, the only change I'd like to see is all 12 SL clubs coming in in the last 32. 

I think people are mistaken if they think the current draw structure is about protecting SL clubs - I don't think they care about that, it's simply about reducing the number of games the top clubs have to play. 

By reducing the number of games they have to play is just that, protecting them. Why should they have to play less rounds than the other League Clubs? At least in the FA Cup, the top two division Clubs have to win four rounds to reach the Semi Final, not like the top SL Clubs who only have to win two rounds. 

3 minutes ago, Gooleboy said:

By reducing the number of games they have to play is just that, protecting them. Why should they have to play less rounds than the other League Clubs? At least in the FA Cup, the top two division Clubs have to win four rounds to reach the Semi Final, not like the top SL Clubs who only have to win two rounds. 

The top two division clubs don’t start in round one in the FA Cup, something you said should happen in Rugby League. 

2 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

The top two division clubs don’t start in round one in the FA Cup, something you said should happen in Rugby League. 

The SL Clubs should come in at the last 32, the Cup rounds would start before that as you know. The bottom line is the tournament has been made even more predictable than ever due to the rules of entry favouring the big Clubs, one of the reasons the attendance for the Final has gone down.

The same people moaning about the cup structure now are the same people who moaned when the first few rounds were just Super League teams whacking Championship 1 and amateur sides 15 years ago. In fact, they are the same people who always moan.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

42 minutes ago, Gooleboy said:

What I mean is, I don't think the SL Clubs really care if they win the cup or not, they just don't want to have to commit to too many games, in an already overlong season. 

(yes, which they themselves put in place!)

7 hours ago, SL17 said:

Oldham did quite well v KR in 2016.

Really?

I don't recall that, how did the game go?

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

11 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

Probably just the one, probably Fev V Hunslet, as the BBC only consider history when showing games, although on paper that might be a cracking match, PLEASE AUNTIE BEEB, GO TO WIDNES!

For anyone who watched the games on screen on Sunday they will have been informed that this the 5th round will be aired by both BBC red button and Our League, The BBC do not start National Terrestrial coverage until round 6, so two games will be on again. 

1 hour ago, Just Browny said:

The same people moaning about the cup structure now are the same people who moaned when the first few rounds were just Super League teams whacking Championship 1 and amateur sides 15 years ago. In fact, they are the same people who always moan.

Bingo.

In fact, here's the Challenge Cup the first season I attended a game in it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1988_Challenge_Cup

Just look at all the amateur teams involved. I make it a whole … 1.

I was at the Salford v Springfield game. Good one that.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

20 minutes ago, SL17 said:

Thanks for that.

Might ask you again later.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

12 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Bingo.

In fact, here's the Challenge Cup the first season I attended a game in it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1988_Challenge_Cup

Just look at all the amateur teams involved. I make it a whole … 1.

I was at the Salford v Springfield game. Good one that.

Wow the Halifax Hull semi final must have been an all time classic ?

In another note the only thing I would change is that all the Superleague clubs come in at round 5 giving a bigger chance of a pay day for clubs that have made it through 

15 minutes ago, SL17 said:

Until the 1993–94 season there were very few amateur clubs included in the cup, typically two. For part of the 1980s, and the 1992–93 season the cup was solely for professional clubs. The competition was then opened up to large numbers of amateur clubs as part of a deal between the Rugby Football League and British Amateur Rugby League Association over bridging the gap between the professional and amateur leagues.

Aye, I remember. I saw Askam play at Carlisle in, I think 1992/3, and that would have been the first time I'd seen an amateur/pro match equivalent to the FA Cup style.

There seems to be a bizarre idea that the Challenge Cup has always been open to all and always had amateur clubs having their day in the sun against the big boys.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

How many games do we think a team should need to win before lifting one of our major trophies? 4 seems too few to me. In the FA Cup, a team from the first two divisions needs to win 6 games to win the whole thing, that seems more reasonable.

4 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Aye, I remember. I saw Askam play at Carlisle in, I think 1992/3, and that would have been the first time I'd seen an amateur/pro match equivalent to the FA Cup style.

There seems to be a bizarre idea that the Challenge Cup has always been open to all and always had amateur clubs having their day in the sun against the big boys.

So how long do you think amatuer clubs have been invited to take part in the CC? 

8 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

So how long do you think amatuer clubs have been invited to take part in the CC? 

I've been watching RL since about 1962 and then (and many years before) there were 2 amateur clubs in the 1st round draw with the 30 pro clubs. The amateur clubs were the Yorkshire amateur and the Lancashire/Cumberland amateur cup winners.

21 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I make it, in the form we currently have, a little over twenty years. With some variations within that.

I'd have more but it seems a lot of our clubs want to play as few games as physically possible each season.

34 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I make it, in the form we currently have, a little over twenty years. With some variations within that.

I'd have more but it seems a lot of our clubs want to play as few games as physically possible each season.

Heworth played pro opposition in the Challenge Cup a few times when I were knee high to a grasshopper in the 90's.

Leigh, Bramley, Oldham and Batley IIRC. I was mascot for the Leigh game in 94!

55 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Please excuse me if I didn't  pose the question clearly but your statement "There seems to be a bizarre idea that the Challenge Cup has always been open to all and always had amateur clubs having their day in the sun against the big boys." seems to imply that you consider it to be relativley new.

Like Bazz above I cone from the same era and Amatuers in the cup has seemingly always been a fixture, albeit I am sure it goes back much further, again as Bazz stated there were 30 pro clubs, the addition of the 2 amatuers took it the correct divisible number of 32 for a knock out competition.

1 hour ago, HKR AWAY DAYS said:

Sick of seeing you lot to be honest ?

I went to the draw. Couldn't hear a thing. Was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the Guinness though it was bloody lovely...

Quite a dubios late try to HKR denied us victory last year if you recall, honestly Leigh would be better concentrating on the League this season and not taking this game to seriously, as I suspect a lot of Revers fans would probably have the same feeling in respect for their team.

Archived