Challenge Cup Fifth Round Draw

GUBRATS

16 hours ago, JonM said:

Looks like the Toronto v Huddersfield 5th round game will be streamed on OurLeague on Weds 11th.

according to rfl web site

Our League set to stream the all-Super League tie between Huddersfield Giants and Toronto Wolfpack. The Giants-Wolfpack clash will launch the round on Wednesday March 11 (kick-off 7.45pm) at the John Smiths Stadium 

•  

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Given it’s a Wednesday night, which probably means the crowd will be poorer than first expected and it’s on a free app, which means the crowd is likely to be even poorer, surely Huddersfield have to throw the doors open and knock down tickets to £5/£1? 

Realistically, it’s going to be a loss maker for Giants, they might as well make a loss but create some good PR at a time when the town’s football club is on a downward trajectory. 

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

For god's sake, have we not seen or scheduled to see enough Toronto games this season.

Anybody any idea what are the weekend games that will be televised, what is the BBC game and is Our League screening another?

Everybody loves Toronto and wants to see them play Harry...You going to the game?

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

For god's sake, have we not seen or scheduled to see enough Toronto games this season.

Anybody any idea what are the weekend games that will be televised, what is the BBC game and is Our League screening another?

Sunday March 15 (kick-off 3pm).  BBC newcastle game

1 hour ago, Kayakman said:

Everybody loves Toronto and wants to see them play Harry...You going to the game?

What do you think?

Seriously there is an old saying round these parts that says "you can wear out your welcome" meaning the more you turn up the less likely you will be well recieved, Toronto are being shown with such a regularity that all but their own fans will get fed up with it, neutrals won't be bothered tuning in unless it is for morbid curiosity?

3 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

To be fair, it is the only all-SL clash, surely it would be more of a surprise if it wasn't covered?

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

To be fair, it is the only all-SL clash, surely it would be more of a surprise if it wasn't covered?

Why, considering that Our League who is the broadcaster is dedicated to showing games below SL level. In fact I have watched 5 games telecast this weekend and for me by far the most interesting and enjoyable even taking in account for the conditions was Dewsbury v Widnes, the three SL games on offer for a neutral were not contests at all they were one sided affairs.

2 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Why, considering that Our League who is the broadcaster is dedicated to showing games below SL level. In fact I have watched 5 games telecast this weekend and for me by far the most interesting and enjoyable even taking in account for the conditions was Dewsbury v Widnes, the three SL games on offer for a neutral were not contests at all they were one sided affairs.

I’m not sure what your point is but that’s life. Sometimes you’ll get a good game, other times you will get a bit of a blowout. There’s no way of knowing, really. 

7 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Our League will show whatever they can get provide, and this is a rare occasion that they will be able to show an all SL clash. They have also shown international clashes before. 

All SL clashes are generally a bigger draw than any lower division clashes, so it really isn't surprising that this one is being picked up. 

Just now, Hela Wigmen said:

I’m not sure what your point is but that’s life. Sometimes you’ll get a good game, other times you will get a bit of a blowout. There’s no way of knowing, really. 

I don't know if I am right but I am going to take a guess that I see far more Championship games than you do Hela, and on that basis I will say that Championship Rugby League on the whole is a far better spectacle than SL in respect of the quality of rugby that is on show, it is not as regimented as SL with most teams playing from the same tactical sheet, I am not stupid enough to say the Championship teams would beat the SL teams with the remotest possibility, but it is a style of Rugby League which is a better game to watch.

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Our League will show whatever they can get provide, and this is a rare occasion that they will be able to show an all SL clash. They have also shown international clashes before. 

All SL clashes are generally a bigger draw than any lower division clashes, so it really isn't surprising that this one is being picked up. 

I will wager it isn't the best supported game through the turnstiles of the whole round, as they say Dave "wanna bet"

3 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I will wager it isn't the best supported game through the turnstiles of the whole round, as they say Dave "wanna bet"

Are you kidding? I don't think even the most blinkered Hudds fans would take that bet!

3 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Given it’s a Wednesday night, which probably means the crowd will be poorer than first expected and it’s on a free app, which means the crowd is likely to be even poorer, surely Huddersfield have to throw the doors open and knock down tickets to £5/£1? 

Realistically, it’s going to be a loss maker for Giants, they might as well make a loss but create some good PR at a time when the town’s football club is on a downward trajectory. 

According to RFL £10 adults under 17 free

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

Are you kidding? I don't think even the most blinkered Hudds fans would take that bet!

So do you consider that the only reason Our League are screening this is to show the 'phenomenon' that is TWP, you didn't comment on my other post, so I take it you agreed with me.

6 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

So do you consider that the only reason Our League are screening this is to show the 'phenomenon' that is TWP, you didn't comment on my other post, so I take it you agreed with me.

No. I was quite clear what the reason was. Because it is an all SL clash. 

I don't know which post you refer to that I haven't commented on.

28 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I don't know if I am right but I am going to take a guess that I see far more Championship games than you do Hela, and on that basis I will say that Championship Rugby League on the whole is a far better spectacle than SL in respect of the quality of rugby that is on show, it is not as regimented as SL with most teams playing from the same tactical sheet, I am not stupid enough to say the Championship teams would beat the SL teams with the remotest possibility, but it is a style of Rugby League which is a better game to watch.

Jeez, what's your thoughts on the NRL then, Harry? 

38 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

The Championship is not a better quality than Super League. Toronto are proving that, as did London last year, though with better results. Ultimately, there is a gap between Super League and the Championship and it’s a decent sized jump between the two. A higher quality of entertainment, in your opinion, perhaps but quality wise, it’s a reasonable jump. 

I’m a football fan and semi-regularly watch a local non-league club. I have seen a 4-5, 3-3, 2-7 and 3-2 in the four games I have seen of them this season. I have found it to be enjoyable and entertaining, more than when I watched a game between two Championship sides earlier in the year, which ended 0-1, however, I can appreciate and understand the difference in quality. 

19 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

The Championship is not a better quality than Super League. Toronto are proving that, as did London last year, though with better results. Ultimately, there is a gap between Super League and the Championship and it’s a decent sized jump between the two. A higher quality of entertainment, in your opinion, perhaps but quality wise, it’s a reasonable jump. 

I’m a football fan and semi-regularly watch a local non-league club. I have seen a 4-5, 3-3, 2-7 and 3-2 in the four games I have seen of them this season. I have found it to be enjoyable and entertaining, more than when I watched a game between two Championship sides earlier in the year, which ended 0-1, however, I can appreciate and understand the difference in quality. 

Now Hela, you are reading into and writing something I did not say, I conceeded the difference in levels of accomplishment with saying the Championship clubs would not on any regular basis beat SL teams, just for you I will use another word aesthetic, so as a spectacle and more pleasing on the eye I consider Championship Rugby League to be aesthetically better than SL, running and passing movements are much more prevalent in the Championship.

Just my own thoughts.

Archived