Challenge cup

townie88

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, Chrome Dome said:

The beauty of the RL Challenge Cup has been diluted since the inception of Superleague....and before that the dominance of the Wigan team started the rot.

I'll never forget standing with 13,000 at DP versus Hull KR, and 17,741 versus Wigan...the cup was then the RL holy grail for sure.

BTW I heard the guy on Border TV News say tonight's draw would include all the 'big guns'........who gives this lot such duff info?

Extended highlights

32 minutes ago, DavidM said:

One campaign that stands out to me was going to Carlisle and edging them , then two games here against Hull KR and Oldham . The place was rocking 

The 'Ray Ashton' era......I remember going to DP on the Saturday before the Hull KR cup tie and, along with several other volunteers, scraping loads of straw off the still quite frozen pitch..however a correct forecast said it was gonna thaw...it did - and we stuffed HKR next day.

1 minute ago, Chrome Dome said:

The 'Ray Ashton' era......I remember going to DP on the Saturday before the Hull KR cup tie and, along with several other volunteers, scraping loads of straw off the still quite frozen pitch..however a correct forecast said it was gonna thaw...it did - and we stuffed HKR next day.

Paddy Tuimavave try and Weebo touchline conversion at the death

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

One campaign that stands out to me was going to Carlisle and edging them , then two games here against Hull KR and Oldham . The place was rocking 

Beat Wakefield and London at DP the following year as well before losing to Hull in the QF.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

1 hour ago, Chrome Dome said:

Colin Falcon was immense that day. ?

2 hours ago, Chrome Dome said:

The beauty of the RL Challenge Cup has been diluted since the inception of Superleague....and before that the dominance of the Wigan team started the rot.

I'll never forget standing with 13,000 at DP versus Hull KR, and 17,741 versus Wigan...the cup was then the RL holy grail for sure.

BTW I heard the guy on Border TV News say tonight's draw would include all the 'big guns'........who gives this lot such duff info?

I can still picture Billy Boston powering  to the line blasting thro several Town defenders for the winning try in the popular side corner at the town end.

13 hours ago, Chrome Dome said:

The Wigan game was March 1965 I was 9 Yr old and went to the game with my Dad, my Mam had made me a guge blue and white rosette. I remember standing behind the sticks at the Town end, the terracing went down another 6 or 7 steps before speedway, I was looking over the wall with the pitch at eye level. I just remember the atmosphere was electric, the Wigan fans were all on the bank at the Town end. The capacity in those days was suppose to be 32k,i don't know where they would have put the other 14k ? coming out of the ground at the end, my feet didn't touch the ground until we got over the small bridge. Great memiries  ????

13 minutes ago, Callum Linford 98 said:

It's a bad draw in terms of the gate receipt but if we win we could have a massive tie at home. Sheffield aren't what they were. Been slaughtered a few times this season already. These lads don't give up under Thorman and he's bound to be up for it. 

They lost 18-17 and 26-14 to Halifax and Toulouse respectively, got hammered away at Leigh then beat Halifax last round. We have to be honest its a massive up hill task for us to get the win

Forget Chuck and Chad I am the real legend killer

12 hours ago, town blue said:

I can still picture Billy Boston powering  to the line blasting thro several Town defenders for the winning try in the popular side corner at the town end.

No....Boston didn't score in that cup tie...... years of passing time can give false views of course..

Wigan took the first half lead via a Colin Clarke try, converted by Gilfedder 0 - 5 at the break.... In the second half Ike went close twice, and was twice thwarted by Trevor Lake....but two converted pens by Ike made it 4 - 5...and Town were threatening when Wigan fullback Ray Ashby collected a kick and broke clear to send halfback Cliff Hill on a run down the popular side..it looked as if Spanky was gonna knock him into touch, but he stepped inside that attempt and sped on under the sticks, Gilfedder made it 4 -10 and Town were out.....I still actually remember those Wigan fans near me agreeing it was a tough one for them.

56 minutes ago, unicorn106 said:

The Wigan game was March 1965 I was 9 Yr old and went to the game with my Dad, my Mam had made me a guge blue and white rosette. I remember standing behind the sticks at the Town end, the terracing went down another 6 or 7 steps before speedway, I was looking over the wall with the pitch at eye level. I just remember the atmosphere was electric, the Wigan fans were all on the bank at the Town end. The capacity in those days was suppose to be 32k,i don't know where they would have put the other 14k ? coming out of the ground at the end, my feet didn't touch the ground until we got over the small bridge. Great memiries  ????

Glad you mentioned that which I've put in bold, because some Town fans can't recall the Speedway covering all that terracing...but yes they did.

1 hour ago, Chrome Dome said:

Glad you mentioned that which I've put in bold, because some Town fans can't recall the Speedway covering all that terracing...but yes they did.

Happy memories as a kid sitting on the wall at halfway line and little dugouts at each corner long before speedway days

1 hour ago, Onreport said:

Happy memories as a kid sitting on the wall at halfway line and little dugouts at each corner long before speedway days

Remember sitting on one of those dugouts at the Town end of the popular side watching Loppy O Niel scoring in the corner against haven in my first ever Town game. ?????

5 hours ago, Chrome Dome said:

The Wigan fans were on the grass bank at the river end and not the Town end ?? no eif and safety in the 60s ???

1 minute ago, unicorn106 said:

The Wigan fans were on the grass bank at the river end and not the Town end ?? no eif and safety in the 60s ???

And for both the 13,000 Hull KR match, and the 17,741 Wigan  match I was forced, by my small stature, to take to the grass bank end to manage a view of the pitch..........On return to normal crowds, post both matches, my school colleagues and I sat on the wall in front of the enclosure. Great views.

Archived