Fax v Knights

spanishknight

This is a huge game, our 4th away match in a row (2 of them being long distance), Halifax have had a poor start despite all their matches so far being at home, only just beat Sheffield, lost at home to Dewsbury then lost at home to Sheffield in the cup. Looking at their forum a lot of fans are unhappy with the coach and I think if we could score a few early points they’ll turn on the team/coach. 

Hope we turn up in numbers like last time. Got my standing tickets yesterday (I hate sitting).

1 hour ago, AB Knight said:

This is a huge game, our 4th away match in a row (2 of them being long distance), Halifax have had a poor start despite all their matches so far being at home, only just beat Sheffield, lost at home to Dewsbury then lost at home to Sheffield in the cup. Looking at their forum a lot of fans are unhappy with the coach and I think if we could score a few early points they’ll turn on the team/coach. 

Hope we turn up in numbers like last time. Got my standing tickets yesterday (I hate sitting).

Sheffield in the cup was played at Wakefield , I will be sitting so will give you a wave , up the kneets???

I don’t want to bag any individual players, we win as a team and lose as a team. We’ve had plenty good times and will have bad times too. But that’s as bad as I’ve seen York play since I started following in 2016.

We desperately miss a few leaders, losing Horne really has been a big blow. I can’t remember the last time I saw a winger look so distant from the rest of the team, when conceding a try he was stood on his own while the rest had an inquest/teamralk. In the 2nd half he was arguing with his teammates, what’s that about? We must have the least experienced wingers in the league on show today (I know our 2 first choices can’t help being injured), and I wish we’d have had Hey on the bench who could’ve come onto the wing and just added a bit of experience and composure.

Things will click I’m sure, but right now I’m worried about heading to a tight ground in Oldham on the back of 5 straight league defeats (as I don’t think we’ll get anything against London or Fev). Oldham, who already have their first league points, will smell blood.  

Yep wallis had a mare, and he did again Leigh as well, its annoying to see a winger of oakes quality turning out for dewsbury tonight, did we try to get him on loan again? I've no idea. I also agree with Deano we've recruited badly this winter I'm afraid.

I don't see what green brings to the team at all, Johnson and Connor may be best mates off the pitch but on it its like they've never met. Kienhorst is a trier and shows glimpses goin forward but defensivley he's been iffy. Washbrook and Clarkson have been anonymous. it's been a lot of changes and things can take time to gel but at present the problems seem far deeper than that. There was visible discord out there today, We are not a team at present.

I'm looking at this season now as a case of our only priority is stayin in this league. That's all. Then regroup in the off season and go from there.

Brad Hey was injured - groin strain.

Oldham will be at Bower Fold, Stalybridge, as far as I know, not Whiteblank.

Halifax's defence was superb today but have to agree that the half back partnership looks innocuous at the moment.

I worry that confidence seems to be ebbing out of certain players. Very big week ahead for all the troops.

Fordy will sort it.....

I don't like to pick out people  (and I know we are only three games in to the League)  but there is a distinct lack of power,  pace and guile.  Teanby looked like the only forward who had any aggression.  The forwards should all be running hard and getting us on the front-foot.  Wallis had a go with a number of carries, but his inexperinece in defence cost us. He migth have  a future, but it looks too soon for him at present.  Mostly the backs looked leaden-footed and the lack of creativity from the halves was embarrassingly bad.  At one point in the second half it looked like no-one had a clue what to do on the 5th tackle.  Where are the set moves off scrums and penalties?  Apart from the last 10 mins or so, we mainly just ran across the pitch or moved the ball sideways so slowy that a 'Fax defender was making the tackle the instant we caught it.  We could be in a relegation dogfight unless we find something from somewhere.   We need some threats.  No-one threatened anything today, I'm sad to say 

Next weekend can't come quick enough , surely we can't be as bad as this again, yes in fordy i still trust , but by hell he's got one hell of a job on to get this team on track again 

42 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

A lot of stuff posted about your halves is stuff that was posted on the Fax forums last season......

Probably 'cos one of them had exactly the same name.

http://www.alldesignandprint.co.uk

Printing & Graphic Design with Nationwide Service

Programmes Leaflets Cards Banners & Flags Letterheads Tickets Magazines Folders | Brand Identity plus much more

Official Matchday Programme Print & Design Partner to York City Knights, Heworth ARLFC, York Acorn RLFC & Hunslet RLFC

Official Player Sponsor of Marcus Stock for the 2020 Season

Just read the press comments from fordy. I watched yesterday from the terrace stand (much better view than the seats, thats why the fax fans use it most). Jubbs "try" was a clear double movment and carr did wonders to get anywhere near the try line from where he picked up the ball with the fax defenders all round him. I saw nothing in the first half that could fairly be described as a chance not taken. Faxs (i think) final try was an obstruction tho.

1 hour ago, Nearenough said:

Just read the press comments from fordy. I watched yesterday from the terrace stand (much better view than the seats, thats why the fax fans use it most). Jubbs "try" was a clear double movment and carr did wonders to get anywhere near the try line from where he picked up the ball with the fax defenders all round him. I saw nothing in the first half that could fairly be described as a chance not taken. Faxs (i think) final try was an obstruction tho.

Likewise I was stood near the front of the terraced end, there was no doubt about Jubb’s attempt, definite no try which the ref got right.

I thought Lewis Carr did ok, despite what some think DR is the least of our worries at the moment!

Well where to start with that. Probably the worst performance I've seen under Ford and to put simply not good enough. 

Attack - where is it? We've scored three tries in three games and we were lucky not to get nilled yesterday. As mentioned above, forwards don't seem to be hitting hard enough to break the lines and we lack a lot of creativity. It's a far cry from what we have witnessed the past two seasons. It's obvious what we are going to do. Even our kicking game seems off at the minute. We've got the least points scored in the league which says a lot (albeit we've played a game less than some teams)

Defence - One of the best parts about the past couple of season was watching our goal line defence and how they'd literally put their bodies on the line. Contrast that with this season and there's been far too many walk ins for the opposition, mainly caught out on the wings. I don't really know what's changed with that, lack of communication or awareness? 

Okay so for a bit of context we have played two full time teams, the other being Fax and they're certainly no pushovers and have been towards the top of the championship most seasons. All three have been away so far as well. But if the club wants to make the play offs again (and we all know that's at the very least the aim Ford has for us) then these are the games we need to be taking points from. But even if we don't I'd at least expect us to put in a good performance and run them close. In the corresponding fixture last season we beat Leigh and Fax away and ran Toulouse close. 

The positives - I have every faith in Ford that he'll get this sorted, we're only three games in and there's still 46 points to play for and plenty of time to turn it around with games against 'easier' sides as well. But it won't get easier straight away, Fev will be ridiculously tough and London will be out for revenge, the way we're playing it wouldn't surprise me if we ended it with P5 L5 by the end. But then Whitehaven and Olham after, it must be 4pts from them two games otherwise the play offs will be unlikely. 

Personally I always thought this season would see us struggle a bit more. Lost a couple of key players and numerous changes, any finish of eighth or above will do me happily. 

Jason Bass Fan Club - member #001

Archived