Fax v Knights

spanishknight

3 hours ago, Nearenough said:

Just read the press comments from fordy. I watched yesterday from the terrace stand (much better view than the seats, thats why the fax fans use it most). Jubbs "try" was a clear double movment and carr did wonders to get anywhere near the try line from where he picked up the ball with the fax defenders all round him. I saw nothing in the first half that could fairly be described as a chance not taken. Faxs (i think) final try was an obstruction tho.

I went to this one as a neutral. I was bemused by Ford's remarks. He made it sound like a game that could have gone either way!

In reality, York were sloppy in defence and (until their late consolation try) didn't look a threat in attack. Never in it.

If things don't improve, at least York will be better than either Oldham or Whitehaven (and maybe even Batley or Sheffield). No real danger of relegation. Surely?

To those negative comments, alot of positives to be taken, our try we scored was top drawer with the runners and the kick and touch down. If we look at the tries conceded i would argue at least 3 were preventable with better defence (first 3). 'Fax also scored some quality tries especially in the 2nd half.  We had 2 decent opportunities in the 1st half with Jubb and Carr which on a different day they may have scored. In the 2nd half we got white line fever and knocked on over the line on one opportunity and went close again in the other corner. I am not saying that we deserved to win but the scoreline could have been a lot different, we were missing Hay, Bass, Whiteley, Sharp and Dixon which in the squad would have made a difference. The pace of Bass, Whiteley and Sharp was defiantly missing yesterday. We are creating chances just need to go back to basics tighten up the defence and we will score and start winning games which will boost confidence. It is a young group of players that have plenty more to offer, I dont think we will get top 5 but over the course of a season and not judging after 3 difficult away games I think we will be fine. We haven't played at home yet and the boys will be eager to get out on the tighter Bootham pitch and pressurise London 

1 hour ago, Nige Arro said:

Wife wanted to go shopping yesterday, on reflection it would have been more fun.

I have to be bribed or drugged to go shopping but point taken..you boys are having similar struggles to us..a lack of confidence almost but like us I think our two top drawer coaches will have it sorted in short order. Rumour that our boy Gary Wheeler may be on his way to you lot..on loan mebbe? Be a great move for you if it happens.

15 minutes ago, RobertAM said:

I have to be bribed or drugged to go shopping but point taken..you boys are having similar struggles to us..a lack of confidence almost but like us I think our two top drawer coaches will have it sorted in short order. Rumour that our boy Gary Wheeler may be on his way to you lot..on loan mebbe? Be a great move for you if it happens.

Would snap anyones hands off for a player of his quality! 

39 minutes ago, RobertAM said:

Thought he was going to Rochdale?.

3 hours ago, HarrogateKnights said:

To those negative comments, alot of positives to be taken, our try we scored was top drawer with the runners and the kick and touch down. If we look at the tries conceded i would argue at least 3 were preventable with better defence (first 3). 'Fax also scored some quality tries especially in the 2nd half.  We had 2 decent opportunities in the 1st half with Jubb and Carr which on a different day they may have scored. In the 2nd half we got white line fever and knocked on over the line on one opportunity and went close again in the other corner. I am not saying that we deserved to win but the scoreline could have been a lot different, we were missing Hay, Bass, Whiteley, Sharp and Dixon which in the squad would have made a difference. The pace of Bass, Whiteley and Sharp was defiantly missing yesterday. We are creating chances just need to go back to basics tighten up the defence and we will score and start winning games which will boost confidence. It is a young group of players that have plenty more to offer, I dont think we will get top 5 but over the course of a season and not judging after 3 difficult away games I think we will be fine. We haven't played at home yet and the boys will be eager to get out on the tighter Bootham pitch and pressurise London 

Loads of ifs and buts......only Sam Scott should be given praise in this game , apart from him we were bloody awfull.

1 minute ago, Stirlin said:

Loads of ifs and buts......only Sam Scott should be given praise in this game , apart from him we were bloody awfull.

Of course alot of ifs and buts..... If you look at last season, there were so many games we won by 1 score and if that didnt happen we could have been in a lot worse a place

35 minutes ago, HarrogateKnights said:

Of course alot of ifs and buts..... If you look at last season, there were so many games we won by 1 score and if that didnt happen we could have been in a lot worse a place

Absolutely. And i dont think any true York fan would have had a problem if we had lost some of those because of the nature of the performances. That's the difference between this year and last. And the gulf in the difference leaves me concerned that something isnt right in camp. 

3 minutes ago, JonT said:

Absolutely. And i dont think any true York fan would have had a problem if we had lost some of those because of the nature of the performance. That's the difference between this year and last. And the gulf in the difference leaves me concerned that something isnt right in camp. 

True.... its how many "positives" you can keep taking, its good for the media but maybe not good for the points on the table!

Couldn't make it to Fax yesterday.  But its maybe worth repeating something I've always believed. Its not just the losing of games that upsets fans, its how a team loses. On known form this season yesterday should have been a match . So its obvious that Knights fans will be disappointed at the fare served up by their team. At least, as far as I know, Knights fans haven't done a Warrington who booed their team after they appeared to remain on the coach in Leeds.

Its gonna be very interesting next Sunday with both Fordy and Wardy expecting a reaction from their players after successive defeats. Come on you Kneets. 

5 hours ago, Toby The Tram said:

Well where to start with that. Probably the worst performance I've seen under Ford and to put simply not good enough. 

Attack - where is it? We've scored three tries in three games and we were lucky not to get nilled yesterday. As mentioned above, forwards don't seem to be hitting hard enough to break the lines and we lack a lot of creativity. It's a far cry from what we have witnessed the past two seasons. It's obvious what we are going to do. Even our kicking game seems off at the minute. We've got the least points scored in the league which says a lot (albeit we've played a game less than some teams)

Defence - One of the best parts about the past couple of season was watching our goal line defence and how they'd literally put their bodies on the line. Contrast that with this season and there's been far too many walk ins for the opposition, mainly caught out on the wings. I don't really know what's changed with that, lack of communication or awareness? 

Okay so for a bit of context we have played two full time teams, the other being Fax and they're certainly no pushovers and have been towards the top of the championship most seasons. All three have been away so far as well. But if the club wants to make the play offs again (and we all know that's at the very least the aim Ford has for us) then these are the games we need to be taking points from. But even if we don't I'd at least expect us to put in a good performance and run them close. In the corresponding fixture last season we beat Leigh and Fax away and ran Toulouse close. 

The positives - I have every faith in Ford that he'll get this sorted, we're only three games in and there's still 46 points to play for and plenty of time to turn it around with games against 'easier' sides as well. But it won't get easier straight away, Fev will be ridiculously tough and London will be out for revenge, the way we're playing it wouldn't surprise me if we ended it with P5 L5 by the end. But then Whitehaven and Olham after, it must be 4pts from them two games otherwise the play offs will be unlikely. 

Personally I always thought this season would see us struggle a bit more. Lost a couple of key players and numerous changes, any finish of eighth or above will do me happily

I think the problem we have is for the last couple of year's we have relied on a team ethic that got us through games we could have lost,but that seems to be missing so far this season,so have the new signings not brought in to Fordy's  ideas about a team that works for each other or there just not good enough,but Fordy wanted more experience in his team and i presume that we have paid top money for these players and maybe we are light in a couple of positions as we don't have the financial resources to go with a bigger squad,so the team picks itself.Hope Fordy can turn it around quickly or it's going to be a long hard season.

Last year was a freak one for York.  This year's realistic target should be 8th.  Any higher would be a bonus.  Early days yet.  Agree with most that they don't look like a team but that will take time.  The right edge of Washbrook, Johnston, Keinhorst and Wallis looked very poor.  Every time Halifax moved it left (and bear in mind that most teams attack predominantly down their left) they looked like scoring. Some of the tries were embarrassing.

On 'attack' we were very one dimensional.   It's obvious who is getting the ball (always Robinson even when their are options).

Second season syndrome. Teams know our game plan is simply to grind away in the middle and sneak over from close range.  Control that and we're very beatable. 

Archived