Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
DoubleD

Joe Greenwood

Recommended Posts

Signed for Leeds on 2 month loan. Strange and interesting signing. Clearly out of favour at Wigan, not sure why. But perhaps even more surprising that they let him go on loan to Leeds 

 

Edited by DoubleD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s not quite worked out for him since coming back from Australia. We got the better deal out of him going to the Titans based on his last few years, Taia has proven to be a good signing and Greenwood has regressed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Signed for Leeds on 2 month loan. Strange and interesting signing. Clearly out of favour at Wigan, not sure why. But perhaps even more surprising that they let him go on loan to Leeds 

 

He looks delighted.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if this looks like Ward will be out for another long spell 


 Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm trying to work out why Greenwood hasn't lived up to his potential (yet).

I thought he did pretty well in his first season on the Gold Coast and then for unknown reasons he was on the outer in year 2 and didn't really get a chance.

He is a big, strong and athletic edge forward and reasonabley skillful. I'm surprised Wigan don't see him as a regular squad player.

I wonder if there is something about his off field attitude that needs addressing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

I'm trying to work out why Greenwood hasn't lived up to his potential (yet).

I thought he did pretty well in his first season on the Gold Coast and then for unknown reasons he was on the outer in year 2 and didn't really get a chance.

He is a big, strong and athletic edge forward and reasonabley skillful. I'm surprised Wigan don't see him as a regular squad player.

I wonder if there is something about his off field attitude that needs addressing. 

Trying my best to word this respectfully - he doesn't strike me as the most intelligent player, often looks completely bemused (at both referee decisions and when being given instructions) and towards the end of last season seemed to make a few daft decisions on the pitch. Seems to have a lot of natural talent though. I don't watch Wigan every week though so could be wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Started off really well when he replaced Joel Tomkins mid season in 2018 but appears to have lost his confidence with various injuries and concussions. This short term loan move may be a good opportunity for him to prove himself

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

I wonder if this looks like Ward will be out for another long spell 

I think Ward is back this week. I think they’ve done this until they find a Prop they want

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually really like Greenwood but this is a bit of a curveball. If you include Sutcliffe, who played second row the other week, Leeds are now massively oversubscribed for that position. Mellor, Martin, Smith, Ward, Donaldson, Sutcliffe and now Greenwood. I know obviously Smith or Ward will play loose when all fit but still this is an interesting move considering the well publicised need for another prop. Can only think this was an opportunity too good to pass up for Leeds as I've no doubt this becomes a permanent deal if all goes well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LR23 said:

Trying my best to word this respectfully - he doesn't strike me as the most intelligent player, often looks completely bemused (at both referee decisions and when being given instructions) and towards the end of last season seemed to make a few daft decisions on the pitch. Seems to have a lot of natural talent though. I don't watch Wigan every week though so could be wrong.

Christ are we saying he’s too thick to be a rugby league player!? 🤣🤣

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

I actually really like Greenwood but this is a bit of a curveball. If you include Sutcliffe, who played second row the other week, Leeds are now massively oversubscribed for that position. Mellor, Martin, Smith, Ward, Donaldson, Sutcliffe and now Greenwood. I know obviously Smith or Ward will play loose when all fit but still this is an interesting move considering the well publicised need for another prop. Can only think this was an opportunity too good to pass up for Leeds as I've no doubt this becomes a permanent deal if all goes well. 

It’s also coincided with Evans going back to Bradford for a month..........presumably Liam Sutcliffe will return to centre 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DoubleD said:

I think Ward is back this week. I think they’ve done this until they find a Prop they want

Good news there then 


 Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

It’s also coincided with Evans going back to Bradford for a month..........presumably Liam Sutcliffe will return to centre 

I think Sutcliffe will find himself on the bench to be honest - to be the utility player he is. Luke Briscoe doing a good job covering for their kid so it'll be back to Newman and Hurrell in the centres. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I'm trying to work out why Greenwood hasn't lived up to his potential (yet).

I thought he did pretty well in his first season on the Gold Coast and then for unknown reasons he was on the outer in year 2 and didn't really get a chance.

He is a big, strong and athletic edge forward and reasonabley skillful. I'm surprised Wigan don't see him as a regular squad player.

I wonder if there is something about his off field attitude that needs addressing. 

Attitude was something which came up way back when he was at Saints and he was very hit and miss performance wise.

The latter part of his Saints career though coincided with the mind-numbing Cunningham era and he seemed to get a lot of leeway because of that - far too much leeway in my view.

Aside from a decent spell while he was in Aus he hasn't kicked on at three different clubs now. Maybe he's just a more limited player than it looked like he would be early on. Shame really.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tonka said:

Christ are we saying he’s too thick to be a rugby league player!? 🤣🤣

Is that possible ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

It’s not quite worked out for him since coming back from Australia. We got the better deal out of him going to the Titans based on his last few years, Taia has proven to be a good signing and Greenwood has regressed. 

He has had at least 2 concussion protocols last season and because of that he has never been able to get a straight run. Did he also have a knee injury (not sure). He strikes me as a good player, but clubs seem to run with 3 middles as replacement and not a spare 2nd row.  

Clearly Leeds are underneath their cap. !!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DoubleD said:

It’s also coincided with Evans going back to Bradford for a month..........presumably Liam Sutcliffe will return to centre 

No Chance, Newman has been outstanding so far this season when he's been at centre that is his position lose, if anything Evans going back to Bradford means Sutcliffe is less likely to start at centre.

Liam Sutcliffe get a lot of stick from Leeds fans but he is a good squad player who can cover quite a few positions, which has been his downfall as he's never been given a settled position

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

 

Clearly Leeds are underneath their cap. !!!

Defininitley under the cap as Merrin has not been properly replaced, Prior was coming whether Merrin left or not

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

No Chance, Newman has been outstanding so far this season when he's been at centre that is his position lose, if anything Evans going back to Bradford means Sutcliffe is less likely to start at centre.

Liam Sutcliffe get a lot of stick from Leeds fans but he is a good squad player who can cover quite a few positions, which has been his downfall as he's never been given a settled position

Not starting centre, but cover for it, hence letting Evans go. I was replying to Hunslets comment where he listed all the 2nd rowers we had

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...