Joe Greenwood

DoubleD

40 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Signed for Leeds on 2 month loan. Strange and interesting signing. Clearly out of favour at Wigan, not sure why. But perhaps even more surprising that they let him go on loan to Leeds 

He looks delighted.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

I'm trying to work out why Greenwood hasn't lived up to his potential (yet).

I thought he did pretty well in his first season on the Gold Coast and then for unknown reasons he was on the outer in year 2 and didn't really get a chance.

He is a big, strong and athletic edge forward and reasonabley skillful. I'm surprised Wigan don't see him as a regular squad player.

I wonder if there is something about his off field attitude that needs addressing. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

I thought he did pretty well in his first season on the Gold Coast and then for unknown reasons he was on the outer in year 2 and didn't really get a chance.

He is a big, strong and athletic edge forward and reasonabley skillful. I'm surprised Wigan don't see him as a regular squad player.

I wonder if there is something about his off field attitude that needs addressing. 

Trying my best to word this respectfully - he doesn't strike me as the most intelligent player, often looks completely bemused (at both referee decisions and when being given instructions) and towards the end of last season seemed to make a few daft decisions on the pitch. Seems to have a lot of natural talent though. I don't watch Wigan every week though so could be wrong.

I actually really like Greenwood but this is a bit of a curveball. If you include Sutcliffe, who played second row the other week, Leeds are now massively oversubscribed for that position. Mellor, Martin, Smith, Ward, Donaldson, Sutcliffe and now Greenwood. I know obviously Smith or Ward will play loose when all fit but still this is an interesting move considering the well publicised need for another prop. Can only think this was an opportunity too good to pass up for Leeds as I've no doubt this becomes a permanent deal if all goes well. 

2 hours ago, LR23 said:

Trying my best to word this respectfully - he doesn't strike me as the most intelligent player, often looks completely bemused (at both referee decisions and when being given instructions) and towards the end of last season seemed to make a few daft decisions on the pitch. Seems to have a lot of natural talent though. I don't watch Wigan every week though so could be wrong.

Christ are we saying he’s too thick to be a rugby league player!? ??

3 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

I actually really like Greenwood but this is a bit of a curveball. If you include Sutcliffe, who played second row the other week, Leeds are now massively oversubscribed for that position. Mellor, Martin, Smith, Ward, Donaldson, Sutcliffe and now Greenwood. I know obviously Smith or Ward will play loose when all fit but still this is an interesting move considering the well publicised need for another prop. Can only think this was an opportunity too good to pass up for Leeds as I've no doubt this becomes a permanent deal if all goes well. 

It’s also coincided with Evans going back to Bradford for a month..........presumably Liam Sutcliffe will return to centre 

5 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

It’s also coincided with Evans going back to Bradford for a month..........presumably Liam Sutcliffe will return to centre 

I think Sutcliffe will find himself on the bench to be honest - to be the utility player he is. Luke Briscoe doing a good job covering for their kid so it'll be back to Newman and Hurrell in the centres. 

2 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Attitude was something which came up way back when he was at Saints and he was very hit and miss performance wise.

The latter part of his Saints career though coincided with the mind-numbing Cunningham era and he seemed to get a lot of leeway because of that - far too much leeway in my view.

Aside from a decent spell while he was in Aus he hasn't kicked on at three different clubs now. Maybe he's just a more limited player than it looked like he would be early on. Shame really.

6 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

It’s not quite worked out for him since coming back from Australia. We got the better deal out of him going to the Titans based on his last few years, Taia has proven to be a good signing and Greenwood has regressed. 

He has had at least 2 concussion protocols last season and because of that he has never been able to get a straight run. Did he also have a knee injury (not sure). He strikes me as a good player, but clubs seem to run with 3 middles as replacement and not a spare 2nd row.  

Clearly Leeds are underneath their cap. !!!

2 hours ago, DoubleD said:

No Chance, Newman has been outstanding so far this season when he's been at centre that is his position lose, if anything Evans going back to Bradford means Sutcliffe is less likely to start at centre.

Liam Sutcliffe get a lot of stick from Leeds fans but he is a good squad player who can cover quite a few positions, which has been his downfall as he's never been given a settled position

51 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

No Chance, Newman has been outstanding so far this season when he's been at centre that is his position lose, if anything Evans going back to Bradford means Sutcliffe is less likely to start at centre.

Liam Sutcliffe get a lot of stick from Leeds fans but he is a good squad player who can cover quite a few positions, which has been his downfall as he's never been given a settled position

Not starting centre, but cover for it, hence letting Evans go. I was replying to Hunslets comment where he listed all the 2nd rowers we had

Archived