Sun 1 Mar: SL: Hull FC v Catalans Dragons KO 3pm

Who will win?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Hull FC
    • Catalans Dragons

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/03/20 at 15:00

3 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Good points, MoK, and I suspect that Folau has come quite cheaply.  The number of options he had may have totalled one, and he would have been eager just to get himself back in the shop window for season 2021 and beyond.

Folau won’t be on Sonny Bill money, that’s for sure. 

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Mattrhino said:

Are Catalans the real deal this year? This would definitely be a game that they would have capitulated in over the last.. well decade really. 

If this match isn't just a flash in the pan (and God knows they've had plenty of those), they have hit form earlier in the season than usual.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Catalans 34-29 victory over Hull in the last minute was an amazing feat, considering that the team was 18 points down in the middle of the second half. But really the result should have been expected, given the club's playing roster.

James Maloney was one of the top halves in the NRL before this year. He has played for and won Grand Finals with the Sydney Roosters, and the Cronulla Sharks, as well as spending two years with the less successful Penrith Panthers. Maloney has played State of Origin for New South Wales 14 times, and for Australia 3 times. Maloney is a top quality goal kicker. With such a resume it is obvious that he is a top world class player. Even at 33 years of age (he will be 34 in June) he is going to be a key factor in the Catalans prospects this year and next.

Israel Folau, now 30 years old, was regarded as one of the greatest talents in the NRL at the age of 18, in 2007, when he made his debut for the Melbourne Storm. He subsequently became the youngest player ever selected for each of Queensland and Australia. When playing for Melbourne Storm in 2007 and 2008 he scored 36 tries in 52 games, and when playing for the Brisbane Broncos in 2009 and 2010 he scored 37 tries in 39 games. When playing for Queensland he scored 5 tries in 5 games, and playing for Australia he scored 6 tries in 8 games. In 2011 he switched to Australian Rules football, where he played for Greater Western Sydney for two years, although he only played 13 games. In 2013 he began to play rugby union for the Waratahs, where he scored 60 tries in 96 games, and Australia, where he scored 32 tries in 62 games. Israel Folau holds the record for the greatest number of tries scored in Super Rugby. Obviously with this resume, Israel Folau is one of the greatest athletes ever to play either code of rugby. He will be a key factor in Catalans prospects this year.

Sam Tomkins who is about to turn 31, while playing for Wigan Warriors in 2008-2013, scored 144 tries in 152 games. While playing for England he has scored 18 tries in 25 games. Although his first season with Catalans was uneven, he seems to have found his best form this year. Obviously Sam Tomkins is a star of recent times in northern hemisphere rugby league.

These three players are the best players in their positions in Super League. If they remain free of injury this year, and the Catalans forward pack can play to its considerable ability, Catalans should have no trouble making the top five, and will be in the hunt for silverware, in 2020.

41 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

Catalans 34-29 victory over Hull in the last minute was an amazing feat, considering that the team was 18 points down in the middle of the second half. But really the result should have been expected, given the club's playing roster.

James Maloney was one of the top halves in the NRL before this year. He has played for and won Grand Finals with the Sydney Roosters, and the Cronulla Sharks, as well as spending two years with the less successful Penrith Panthers. Maloney has played State of Origin for New South Wales 14 times, and for Australia 3 times. Maloney is a top quality goal kicker. With such a resume it is obvious that he is a top world class player. Even at 33 years of age (he will be 34 in June) he is going to be a key factor in the Catalans prospects this year and next.

Israel Folau, now 30 years old, was regarded as one of the greatest talents in the NRL at the age of 18, in 2007, when he made his debut for the Melbourne Storm. He subsequently became the youngest player ever selected for each of Queensland and Australia. When playing for Melbourne Storm in 2007 and 2008 he scored 36 tries in 52 games, and when playing for the Brisbane Broncos in 2009 and 2010 he scored 37 tries in 39 games. When playing for Queensland he scored 5 tries in 5 games, and playing for Australia he scored 6 tries in 8 games. In 2011 he switched to Australian Rules football, where he played for Greater Western Sydney for two years, although he only played 13 games. In 2013 he began to play rugby union for the Waratahs, where he scored 60 tries in 96 games, and Australia, where he scored 32 tries in 62 games. Israel Folau holds the record for the greatest number of tries scored in Super Rugby. Obviously with this resume, Israel Folau is one of the greatest athletes ever to play either code of rugby. He will be a key factor in Catalans prospects this year.

Sam Tomkins who is about to turn 31, while playing for Wigan Warriors in 2008-2013, scored 144 tries in 152 games. While playing for England he has scored 18 tries in 25 games. Although his first season with Catalans was uneven, he seems to have found his best form this year. Obviously Sam Tomkins is a star of recent times in northern hemisphere rugby league.

These three players are the best players in their positions in Super League. If they remain free of injury this year, and the Catalans forward pack can play to its considerable ability, Catalans should have no trouble making the top five, and will be in the hunt for silverware, in 2020.

I've said a few times how good Tomkins was last season and that he has matured into a leader for Cats.

He should have played for GB last season - especially after his performance in the 9s.

As you say if those 3 stay fit alongside the like of Micky Mac etc Cats have a chance this season.

6 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

I've said a few times how good Tomkins was last season and that he has matured into a leader for Cats.

He should have played for GB last season - especially after his performance in the 9s.

I’d like to think Wane will pick Tomkins.

And I agree with Manfred, he’s the best FB in the comp. 

A natural, gifted footballer with a first class rugby brain. With ###### tattoos, obvs.

10 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

Fair comments, they do seem to have the players now. They just need to be consistent when playing away and keep their discipline under control.

15 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Just watched the highlights. Pity if the "Sack Radford" rhetoric detracts in any way from such wonderful stuff.

Infuriating way to lose it from our perspective but if that game had been on TV people would have been raving about the quality of the entertainment. There was some outstanding rugby from both teams.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

4 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Just watched the highlights. Pity if the "Sack Radford" rhetoric detracts in any way from such wonderful stuff.

Oh there were some lovely tries from both teams, I don't think anyone can doubt that. It doesn't change the fact that being 18 up with 20 to play and losing is unacceptable at any level. 

The highlights:

Sam Tomkins was outstanding, as were James Maloney and Remi Casty. You wouldn't know that just by listening to the BBC Radio commentary team from Hull, which is what I had to do.

looks like an outstanding game from those highlights, saw more action in those few mins than  I saw GB produce in the entire autumn tour.

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

5 hours ago, Ullman said:

Infuriating way to lose it from our perspective but if that game had been on TV people would have been raving about the quality of the entertainment. There was some outstanding rugby from both teams.

I thought the third quarter from Hull was very dominant. We looked like we were blowing them off the park. The hits were brutal, as were the runs. The forwards played very well.

That all disappeared in minutes 60-70, where we completely switched off down our right hand side. Albert Kelly looked out on his feet defensively. I'm sure the plan would have been to move Connor back in the halves had he not been injured.

Disappointing way to end. We really should have won this one. Fair play to the Dragons for not giving up.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

55 minutes ago, HKR AWAY DAYS said:

I've only ever been to 3 Hull SL games where Rovers haven't played against them and they've lost every one.

It was a wonderful afternoon yesterday ?

Glad you enjoyed it. Two teams providing some real entertainment. So much better than the dross you have to endure every week.

7 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Wish everyone had your attitude.

Don't get me wrong, I was as disappointed as anybody that Hull didn't close the game out but trying to be objective it would have been a great game to watch.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Archived