Sun 1 Mar: SL: Hull FC v Catalans Dragons KO 3pm

Who will win?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Hull FC
    • Catalans Dragons

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/03/20 at 15:00

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

The highlights:

Sam Tomkins was outstanding, as were James Maloney and Remi Casty. You wouldn't know that just by listening to the BBC Radio commentary team from Hull, which is what I had to do.

I did the same.

A bit of silence - 'Catalans have scored at the other end'!!

Kirk Dixon must be getting up there alongside the fastest speaking commentators in the world.

1 hour ago, Lowdesert said:

I did the same.

A bit of silence - 'Catalans have scored at the other end'!!

Kirk Dixon must be getting up there alongside the fastest speaking commentators in the world.

Kirk Dixon was almost unintelligible, given his rapid speech and dreadful accent. But the commentators’ indifference to any Catalans scoring movement was absolutely unprofessional. They apparently think that their function is to be cheerleaders for Hull.

11 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

Kirk Dixon was almost unintelligible, given his rapid speech and dreadful accent. But the commentators’ indifference to any Catalans scoring movement was absolutely unprofessional. They apparently think that their function is to be cheerleaders for Hull.

I don't get this attitude tbh. They are a local radio station. They serve the people of Hull, of course they are going to be biased towards both of the Hull clubs. If I was listening to a Perpignan based service I would fully expect it to favour the dragons. Why would you expect anything else? 

19 minutes ago, MZH said:

I don't get this attitude tbh. They are a local radio station. They serve the people of Hull, of course they are going to be biased towards both of the Hull clubs. If I was listening to a Perpignan based service I would fully expect it to favour the dragons. Why would you expect anything else? 

While I accept your point to a degree, Radio Blunderside take their lack of impartiality to a unique level and for that reason I never listen to either their commentaries or their rather hilarious radio phone ins. I guess I'm lucky in one respect ? in that I rarely miss a Hull FC game home or away so have no need to tune in.

I used to love listening to the BBC Radio Manchester Rugby League hour on a Thursday evening, whilst they obviously mainly talked about their local sides, credit was given to all teams that were playing well. Now Sky show Thursday night matches, I don't get chance to listen any more, being down the pub at that time. Radio Leeds were also worth listening to, again, a hint of local bias but with credit given to the opposition.

A few years back, I listened to the infamous Gwylym Lloyd commentate on Hull KR 6 Wigan 84. By the end of the game, our Hull KR supporting commentator was almost inconsolable. I don't think he's ever quite recovered.

And for balance, I doubt the Hull FC versions of the Blunderside commentators sounded very upbeat with our recent embarrassments, thankfully I didn't have the opportunity to find out.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

6 hours ago, MZH said:

Probably because their job is to commentate on the Rugby on the field, but most of the time only talk if their home side has the ball. (Not talking about Humberside, but listened to Radio Cumbria for when Whitehaven were playing London - The only times the commentators mentioned London was if they had scored - If Whitehaven had the ball, they were talking about what was going on, if London had the ball, they would talk about what Whitehaven had to do, and then suddenly it would be "Oh London have scored in the corner"

You can be biased but still commentate on the game that is being played

10 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

I quite like Kirk's diction.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Although I have earlier praised the quality of the Catalans team, I think that we should not lose sight of the considerable talent that Hull FC possesses, and the fact that they did play very well for large parts of the game. 

Mahe Fonua with his two tries,  and Manu Ma'u with his thundering burst to score, have been great signings for the club. The 70 metre try by Jamie Shaul from a magical offload by Albert Kelly showed that  a fully fit Kelly will be a potent attacking weapon (Kelly also provided the offload for Ma'u's try) and that Jamie Shaul, who also made the grubber kick for Fonua's second try. is a quality attacking full back with lots of pace.

I would think that Hull FC now has the talent right across the park to challenge for a top 5 spot. If Hull FC don't get close to that level by season's end --- at least sixth --- then the calls for sacking Radford will be hard for the Hull FC management to ignore. 

Archived