Sun 1 Mar: SL: Huddersfield Giants v Wigan Warriors KO 3pm

Who will win?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Huddersfield Giants
    • Wigan Warriors

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/03/20 at 15:00

23 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

Much better. He played well.

This is good. He has not played since that injury, so it makes one wonder why he was selected in his first game such that he was obviously not fit.

Fingers crossed he is fit and stays that way.  If Wigan and Saints are on form then Good Friday game will be an event- never mind who wins.  The Game needs an event. 

(But let Wigan keep their form first hey!)

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

This is good. He has not played since that injury, so it makes one wonder why he was selected in his first game such that he was obviously not fit.

Fingers crossed he is fit and stays that way.  If Wigan and Saints are on form then Good Friday game will be an event- never mind who wins.  The Game needs an event. 

(But let Wigan keep their form first hey!)

I still think they are better off without Lockers.

Hastings, Smith and French are looking really good at the moment.

49 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Question for anyone at the game, did George Burgess look in better shape than he did in his first game againt Wire?

He looked  better but with some work to do on the fitness front. Having said that,  he's not likely to be at peak fitness at this stage of the season anyway., but also taking into account his injury.

34 minutes ago, Chris22 said:

The game evaporated in the 10 minutes when Sezer was off it seems. I haven't seen too much of them this year, but from what I have seen Wigan are looking good and a have improved hugely on last season. The Saints vs Wigan game on Good Friday could be a cracker!

Wigan played a solid percentage game in the first  half hour and they were able to open up a bit when Sezer went off for ten minutes reflection. The Wigan first try came after two penalties and they took advantage of good field position, like the canny team they are. In the first thirty Hudds had plenty of time in the Wigan half and their twenty without a great deal of creativity. 

Wigan pretty much sealed the game with a try shortly after half time and they were able to open up. They moved the ball well and there was some good half back work from them. 

Huddersfield's play seemed to involve taking few risks with passing of any distance and applying pressure, forcing dropouts and kicking on the last play - pretty standard modern day rugby stuff.  It fell apart quickly after Sezer's ten minute rest. Lots of work to do.

To the Wigan fans I/we spoke to in The Goat & Monkey, if any of you post on here, ( ?) I told you that Wigan would not win by only four points.  ?

Strange kind of feeling tonight, the scoreline suggests a trouncing, it was far from it, and i think most Wigan fans will accept that the 32 point margin probably doesn't reflect the game as a whole.

Obviously the sin binning was the turning point, until then, there was nothing between the sides, then Wigan got a sniff and were pretty damn ruthless, exposing our numbers and lack of organisation, Marshall was superb and clinical, his chip over and run to the line was a superb bit of play which had to be applauded, although i have to admit i was disappointed in our defence for Isa, and Powell's tries.

They carried that on into the second half and again showed their ruthlessness to extend their score, 26 points in, what? 12 minutes totally knocked the stuffing out of us and we had no answer to it, as i said, Wigan were clinical and ruthless and had a purple patch in which they totally outplayed us, for the rest of the game it was pretty even.

But that's what the real champion sides can do to teams, disappointed but not deflated, the important thing for me now is how we react at St Helens on Friday, i don't expect a win but to see that they are giving their all and not sulking over today will suit me.

Well done Wigan and a happy journey home for their 1,319 supporters.

5 minutes ago, meast said:

Strange kind of feeling tonight, the scoreline suggests a trouncing, it was far from it, and i think most Wigan fans will accept that the 32 point margin probably doesn't reflect the game as a whole.

Obviously the sin binning was the turning point, until then, there was nothing between the sides, then Wigan got a sniff and were pretty damn ruthless, exposing our numbers and lack of organisation, Marshall was superb and clinical, his chip over and run to the line was a superb bit of play which had to be applauded, although i have to admit i was disappointed in our defence for Isa, and Powell's tries.

They carried that on into the second half and again showed their ruthlessness to extend their score, 26 points in, what? 12 minutes totally knocked the stuffing out of us and we had no answer to it, as i said, Wigan were clinical and ruthless and had a purple patch in which they totally outplayed us, for the rest of the game it was pretty even.

But that's what the real champion sides can do to teams, disappointed but not deflated, the important thing for me now is how we react at St Helens on Friday, i don't expect a win but to see that they are giving their all and not sulking over today will suit me.

Take out the 10 minutes for the binning and the difference is 16 points I think, until the point of the binning Hudds were on top.

1,319 is not a verifiable figure and stupid to use it. Some people walk up on the day and don't go in the 'away end' or get tickets direct because they don't want to be forced into one area. Quoting these numbers do not do the game any good as they are meaningless and divisive.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

11 minutes ago, Padge said:

Take out the 10 minutes for the binning and the difference is 16 points I think, until the point of the binning Hudds were on top.

1,319 is not a verifiable figure and stupid to use it. Some people walk up on the day and don't go in the 'away end' or get tickets direct because they don't want to be forced into one area. Quoting these numbers do not do the game any good as they are meaningless and divisive.

Why the upset? The 1,319 is the 'official figure' based on the amount of 'away' fans in the 'away' end, no need to be outraged over it, what's divisive about posting an official crowd figure?

13 minutes ago, meast said:

Wigan were on top for c the last 45 mins.

Some of the defence and some of the decisions were poor.

You are right Martin, Marshall's try was good.

Plenty to work on for the St Helen's game. ?

3 minutes ago, meast said:

Why the upset? The 1,319 is the 'official figure' based on the amount of 'away' fans in the 'away' end, no need to be outraged over it.

I am not outraged, I find it an utterly stupid statistic. I like my stats, I like them to be accurate, that is not an accurate stat.

If it said thanks to the fans in the away end and the ones who were not but attended then it is not a problem.

To quote 1,319 as a figure of the Wigan supporters in attendance is utterly stupid.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

12 minutes ago, Padge said:

I am not outraged, I find it an utterly stupid statistic. I like my stats, I like them to be accurate, that is not an accurate stat.

If it said thanks to the fans in the away end and the ones who were not but attended then it is not a problem.

To quote 1,319 as a figure of the Wigan supporters in attendance is utterly stupid.

So what would you like me to quote? i gave an attendance figure, an official attendance figure of away supporters like i do for most clubs, should away figures not be given out incase there's a few away fans not in the away stand?

1,319 is the official number of Wigan fans today, if you don't agree with that then fine.

32 minutes ago, Padge said:

The game turned on the Sin Bin, but more importantly the introduction of Harry Smith for Leuluai due to the same incident, the ball movement was so much quicker and his kicking game is outstanding.

Even though our utter, unquestioned dominance in the sport has ended, all Wiganers believe that we are really just indulgently letting the other teams win for a while in order to make it more interesting.

Stuart Maconie, Cider with Roadies

"cause people often talk about being scared of change but for me I'm more afraid of things staying the same cause the game is never won by standing in any one place for too long"

Nick Cave

18 minutes ago, The Alchemist said:

The game turned on the Sin Bin, but more importantly the introduction of Harry Smith for Leuluai due to the same incident, the ball movement was so much quicker and his kicking game is outstanding.

Glad to see Smith is doing well in the first team.

He has the best kicking game of any UK developed junior that I have seen.

We could talk all day about where we are behind the Australian game but I would say the kicking game is the primary area.  Time and again when we play the Australians they grind us down with a pinpoint kicking game that secures field position and strangles the life out of us... this is the big one for me.

We absolutely need to create these tactically astute half backs.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

On 01/03/2020 at 12:09, meast said:

That's what we were told, they earn far more money from website and social media than actual papers.

Hence the readership going from 130K to just over 10K now

Do we conclude then that when articles about Hudds appear in the hard copy and are not put on the website, this is because they don't get enough clicks online for Fartown features?

BTW, there was an article about the game and one about S Woolford's reaction in the hard copy this am. A copy even made its way to the Calder Valley!

On 02/03/2020 at 12:32, longboard said:

Do we conclude then that when articles about Hudds appear in the hard copy and are not put on the website, this is because they don't get enough clicks online for Fartown features?

BTW, there was an article about the game and one about S Woolford's reaction in the hard copy this am. A copy even made its way to the Calder Valley!

Articles that appear in the paper are usually the same articles that have been "lifted" from websites.

There are no "journalists" now writing stories anymore, like when Ian Laybourn, Chris Roberts used to be the correspondents.

6 hours ago, meast said:

Articles that appear in the paper are usually the same articles that have been "lifted" from websites.

There are no "journalists" now writing stories anymore, like when Ian Laybourn, Chris Roberts used to be the correspondents.

There's a small number of journalists on the paper as a whole. The guy who wrote the pieces about Fartown which were in Monday's hard copy is, I believe, a student, unless he's left uni now; the Midnight Cowboy as he is known.

Archived