Sun 1 Mar: SL: Huddersfield Giants v Wigan Warriors KO 3pm

Who will win?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Huddersfield Giants
    • Wigan Warriors

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/03/20 at 15:00

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking forward to this one, a home game at last and a proper gauge of where we are in the general scheme of things, We don't have a great record against Wigan this last few seasons but then that applies to most clubs this last few seasons, before that we didn't do all that bad. I don't expect to win but i do expect us to give them a game  and it could be a good one, We might just surprise them, That would be good.

Dont expect anything from a pig but a grunt

Will be interesting to see what the excuse will be given to Wigan should we dare to win another, seeing as all our 3 (away) wins seem to have been because the opposition had excuses rather than we just beat them fairly.

Confidence must be sky high at the moment and hopefully we won't freeze(pardon the pun) with it being our 1st home game.

Sezer and Gaskell are both on fire at the moment and with our forwards laying good platforms i would hope our fine start continues but Wigan are a bit of a bogey side for us these last few years.

Fartown by 8

To be honest Daz i have found Wigan fans to be as fair minded as any in the game and better than many, but whatever the club in general It's always them that have been bad and never the other side that was good, and that includes the Giants. Pinch of snuff mate , this is Rugby league.

Dont expect anything from a pig but a grunt

Top of the table clash involving Huddersfield, who'd a thought it? this wasn't supposed to happen.

I imagine most people will be expecting Wigan to wipe the floor with the Giants as they "haven't played anyone yet" and had "3 easy games" where the opposition were "rusty, undercooked and off their game" etc.

It will give a slight indication, if Huddersfield can keep the score down and compete, then you'd have to think that our defensive efforts in the 3 games so far were actually genuine and not just down to the opposition not being good.

Of course, I'm hoping for a Fartown win and look forward to the excuses as to why Wigan couldn't beat us.

Giants by 6 ?

I have not seen the Giants, but Wigan are very good at the moment. Our back line is fantastic, and the wide open spaces will suit us down to the ground. Am v confident that we will win, not because the Giants are not very good, but that our backs are so dangerous and getting more so by the week, as the combinations get used to each other. 

Should be a good game.

I was more impressed with Wigan on Sunday, and I think that was down to Lockers being out, allowing Hastings to be able to play his more natural game.

I agree that our backs are more potent than our forwards at the moment. The young guys look good, but Clubby is looking way past it these days and Isa is too lightweight to worry the Giants pack.

I see a close game, and as the Giants fans on here seemingly need a hug and some reassurance, I won't be offering any excuses should we get beaten by the better side.

14 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

Will be intresting to see how good Hudds are.

You would think and hope with Hudds start, lack of home games and the opposition the crowd will be pushing 10K.

Why would you think the crowd will be pushing 10K? i hope we can muster 8K, Wigan should bring a few too, and with our good start it might bring a few out of the woodwork, but i will be mightily surprised if the crowd is anywhere near 10,000, of course, I'd love it, but just can't see it, that's like asking Wakefield to get 10,000 or Wigan to get 24,000 for a regular round game.

14 hours ago, Jim Prendle said:

Should be a good game.

I was more impressed with Wigan on Sunday, and I think that was down to Lockers being out, allowing Hastings to be able to play his more natural game.

I agree that our backs are more potent than our forwards at the moment. The young guys look good, but Clubby is looking way past it these days and Isa is too lightweight to worry the Giants pack.

I see a close game, and as the Giants fans on here seemingly need a hug and some reassurance, I won't be offering any excuses should we get beaten by the better side.

We are fine, we are just used to going under the radar, being ignored, not given any credit etc.

As for the game, our attitude and defence and willingness to fight for each other is the biggest difference between now and then, we have fast, powerful forwards, halves who compliment each other well and backs that are young, and learning, but don't get the recognition as other youngsters do, who will possibly surprise people when they realise how good they are.

Should be a good game.

13 minutes ago, meast said:

Why would you think the crowd will be pushing 10K? i hope we can muster 8K, Wigan should bring a few too, and with our good start it might bring a few out of the woodwork, but i will be mightily surprised if the crowd is anywhere near 10,000, of course, I'd love it, but just can't see it, that's like asking Wakefield to get 10,000 or Wigan to get 24,000 for a regular round game.

So if as you put it you can muster 8K a.d Wigan bring a few is that not somewhere near 10,000?

Anyway, if Hudds win it could set them up for a great season.

18 hours ago, Jim Prendle said:

Should be a good game.

Isa is an edge forward, like Farrell. So I don't see him as being lightweight. My thought is that if either of them are injured, who is going come in to play on the edge? Their replacement is on loan.

The other question being mooted is that Burgess and Flower might go straight in if fit.   Hmmm....  What ever happened to the point of having the reserves?

11 hours ago, meast said:

Do you live in Huddersfield and if so have you noticed any additional interest in the town given the good start to the season, in the press or just round and about the place? Does Huddersfield Town’s fall from (recent) grace have an impact? 

I'm going for the winning team to be top of the league, despite starting lower than Cas. ?

Currently, the weather forecast is for a day with quite a bit of sunshine, and some strong winds at times. The howling winds haven't helped creative play so far, and if Aeolus is still angry, I doubt there will be much in the way of flowing passing movements from Fartown.

11 hours ago, Eddie said:

Do you live in Huddersfield and if so have you noticed any additional interest in the town given the good start to the season, in the press or just round and about the place? Does Huddersfield Town’s fall from (recent) grace have an impact? 

Nope and nope as i said on a previous topic there was a hate campaign by town's supporters association against Ken Davy which led to it being brainwashed into town fans that Ken and his rugby team are evil and the enemy,

as for local press, what local press? the Huddersfield examiner stopped being a local paper years ago and the coverage of the Giants is very very nominal.

We can't even get lapsed fans who would only come when we are winning again to show an interest despite us....well winning again.

we have 4,000 - 5,000 hardcore and maybe 1,000 floaters/fairweather fans max.

26 minutes ago, daz39 said:

Nope and nope as i said on a previous topic there was a hate campaign by town's supporters association against Ken Davy which led to it being brainwashed into town fans that Ken and his rugby team are evil and the enemy,

as for local press, what local press? the Huddersfield examiner stopped being a local paper years ago and the coverage of the Giants is very very nominal.

We can't even get lapsed fans who would only come when we are winning again to show an interest despite us....well winning again.

we have 4,000 - 5,000 hardcore and maybe 1,000 floaters/fairweather fans max.

Last 3 articles in Huddersfield Examiner under the 'Huddersfield Giants' section.

11th Feb - 'Underbank Rangers promise Bradford Bulls titanic Challenge Cup battle'

9th Feb - 'Huddersfield Giants postpone match over Storm Ciara safety concerns'

14th Jan - 'Rugby star admits being an alcoholic since he was 12'

At least these are related to 2020 not 2019.

Small mercies.

20 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

Isa is an edge forward, like Farrell. So I don't see him as being lightweight. My thought is that if either of them are injured, who is going come in to play on the edge? Their replacement is on loan.

The other question being mooted is that Burgess and Flower might go straight in if fit.   Hmmm....  What ever happened to the point of having the reserves?

I know what kind of forwards they are, and I’m sure that Huddersfield will do us the honour of not asking their bigger lads to run at them.

They are lightweight, no matter how you classify them.

33 minutes ago, TBC said:

Last 3 articles in Huddersfield Examiner under the 'Huddersfield Giants' section.

11th Feb - 'Underbank Rangers promise Bradford Bulls titanic Challenge Cup battle'

9th Feb - 'Huddersfield Giants postpone match over Storm Ciara safety concerns'

14th Jan - 'Rugby star admits being an alcoholic since he was 12'

At least these are related to 2020 not 2019.

Small mercies.

Small indeed, i wonder if any other 'local paper' only has 3 mentions of it's local top flight rugby league team all year?

Archived