Fri 28 Feb: SL: Leeds Rhinos v Warrington Wolves KO 7.45pm (TV)

Who will win?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Leeds Rhinos
    • Warrington Wolves

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 28/02/20 at 19:45

5 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I'd like to think we learnt from the James Lowes appointment. I'd be surprised if the best option in World RL just so happened to be sat next to Price. 

James Lowes played most of his career for Bradford. Lee played the vast, overwhelming majority for Warrington and shed blood for it.

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Moove said:

Wane is a different situation. Many of the players in his squad grew up with him in their academy over many years which huge success at that level.

I’m not sure how relevant that is, but it is true.

There is no reason why Briers could not have been given the same opportunity to prove himself at that level before the clamour for him to be given the head coach job.

Just now, Jim Prendle said:

There is no reason why Briers could not have been given the same opportunity to prove himself at that level before the clamour for him to be given the head coach job.

The relevance is that Shaun Wane and Lee Briers both live for the clubs which made them. These things *really * matter.

I would rather see someone in charge who is flawed but passionate and committed than one who talks a good interview but has no emotional attachment.

4 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

Wane was mentioned by someone earlier as an example of a successful move from assistant to head coach, that's all.

Just now, absentee thoughtlord said:

The relevance is that Shaun Wane and Lee Briers both live for the clubs which made them. These things *really * matter.

I would rather see someone in charge who is flawed but passionate and committed than one who talks a good interview but has no emotional attachment.

If they don’t have the correct coaching skills to go with the passion, it will lead to failure.

John Monie didn’t shed an ounce of blood for Wigan, but he did win 5 Championships and 4 Challenge Cups.

38 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I must admit I'm always nervous about promoting assistants to the head coach role. But I accept that's probably harsh on them. 

Have there been many examples of assistants stepping up and being a huge success? 

Shaun Wane.

Obvious now been picked up earlier.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

14 minutes ago, absentee thoughtlord said:

James Lowes played most of his career for Bradford. Lee played the vast, overwhelming majority for Warrington and shed blood for it.

I'm a massive Lee Briers fan, but as head coach I don't really care whether they have played for us tbh. 

12 minutes ago, absentee thoughtlord said:

We went there with Cullen, who I was a fan of, but couldn't take us to the next level. 

A lot of this search for a new messiah for Warrington reminds me of the Football fans who drone on and on about "pride an' passion" whenever a new England manager is being chosen. It carefully avoids the many failures of proud and passionate national coaches in the past. The only real trophy that team has won was under the quiet, dispassionate and methodical Alf Ramsey, who would have considered badge-kissing unhygienic.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

We went there with Cullen, who I was a fan of, but couldn't take us to the next level. 

Maybe. But we are casting judgement on someone who has never been given the opportunity to take the reins, despite demonstrating a great commitment to the club.

I really think Warrington should take the plunge and go for it. Atmosphere counts for a lot in management; you can be top notch analyst but lack elsewhere.

3 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

A lot of this search for a new messiah for Warrington reminds me of the Football fans who drone on and on about "pride an' passion" whenever a new England manager is being chosen. It carefully avoids the many failures of proud and passionate national coaches in the past. The only real trophy that team has won was under the quiet, dispassionate and methodical Alf Ramsey, who would have considered badge-kissing unhygienic.

To be fair, I think I'm the one doing that. You can't blame anyone else!

A lot of Australian coaches including Justin Holbrook and Trent Robinson were assistants. 

I’m not convinced Lee Briers is head coach material but happy to be proved wrong. Anyway I thought Andrew Henderson was being primed to take over from Price

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

I must admit I'm always nervous about promoting assistants to the head coach role. But I accept that's probably harsh on them. 

Have there been many examples of assistants stepping up and being a huge success? 

Justin Holbrook, from successful assistant coach to Trent Robinson at Sydney Roosters, to successful head coach at St Helens.

5 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

A lot of Australian coaches including Justin Holbrook and Trent Robinson were assistants

I’m not convinced Lee Briers is head coach material but happy to be proved wrong. Anyway I thought Andrew Henderson was being primed to take over from Price

Trent Robinson was a playing captain-coach at Toulouse Olympique, before becoming assistant coach to Brian Smith at the Newcastle Knights and then the Sydney Roosters, before becoming a relatively successful head coach at Catalans, and then moving back to the NRL to become an outstanding head coach at Sydney Roosters

1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

Warrington are playing as if they are trying to get Steve Price sacked. Almost suspiciously poor 

I don't want to agree with this, but I do.

I can't remember a more gutless performance and I've been going for over 40 years.

1 hour ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I thought Dwyer was exciting last year and was fantastic tonight, really picking when to make a run and not just doing it all the time . How minutes did he do today? 

I don’t remember seeing him go off to be honest! Could be wrong though. But yeah his decision making seems a lot better now, went to jump out and go or went to play the settlers etc

Archived