Fri 28 Feb: SL: Leeds Rhinos v Warrington Wolves KO 7.45pm (TV)

Who will win?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Leeds Rhinos
    • Warrington Wolves

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 28/02/20 at 19:45

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

Justin Holbrook, from successful assistant coach to Trent Robinson at Sydney Roosters, to successful head coach at St Helens.

Yes, my point is he didn't go from assistant at Roosters to head coach at Roosters in one go. 

7 hours ago, DoubleD said:

A lot of Australian coaches including Justin Holbrook and Trent Robinson were assistants. 

I’m not convinced Lee Briers is head coach material but happy to be proved wrong. Anyway I thought Andrew Henderson was being primed to take over from Price

Of course many coaches are assistants, it should be part of their development, I'm referring to where an assistant steps up to head coach with his existing club. 

Wane seems the best example. 

8 hours ago, Leeds Wire said:

Who?

It was Briers mate. Was just trying to make the point that he has a pretty big role in the current set-up.

Incidentally I love the idea of Briers being a successful head coach. I like less the idea of him leaving in 18 months on bad terms because he had nothing new to bring to the role. I think sometimes you need to step out of an environment (Briers has been involved with Warrington for almost a quarter of a century) to learn new skills and try things out. He wouldn't have time to do that at Warrington.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

8 hours ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

I don’t remember seeing him go off to be honest! Could be wrong though. But yeah his decision making seems a lot better now, went to jump out and go or went to play the settlers etc

He's a great character off the pitch too. Does lots of work for good causes and is funny. I'm a big fan of the guy

Remember the days when it was all taking a massive  nosedive for Smith? Whose head were the fans wanting on a plate then? That's right, Agar's. So what's changed now? Why is Briers not being chastised?

If the players don't want to play for the manager, that's fine. However, they should be pulling their tripe out week in and week out for the fans, the people who pay their wages. 

11 minutes ago, TBone said:

bradford Bulls early SL years head coach succession, all to deputy in-club coaches

Brian Smith -> Mathew Elliot (1996 - 2000) -> Brian Noble (2001 - 2006) -> Steve McNamara (2006 - 2010)

Good point. Were those changes proactive or forced due to rubbish form? 

I wonder whether the worst cases are where an assistant takes over a struggling club rather than a planned succession. 

Of course, we should remember that Price hasn't actually been sacked!!! 

I must admit to being really rather peed off with it all. Price has really dampened my enthusiasm for the team (not club or game) over this last couple of years. I'm not even talking about results, people will know I have been vocal about being bored to tears watching this team, a team with a fantastic amount of attacking talent in its ranks. 

I now watch games with a lot less fire in my belly, almost resigned to the fact that I will be bored and we may be terrible. 

Ultimately this is now his team. Year one he improved on the low from the year before, but it was unlikely we would have been as bad anyway. Two lacklustre final showings gave some hope, personally they were real warning signs around playing philosophy for me. 

Year two, we had a brilliant win at Wembley, one that we will never forget, but the SL season was an absolute disaster based on early form and level of expectation. He disagreed that it was a bad SL season. That has to be a worry. 

And here we are in Year 3, five games in, 1 great showing, 1 decent one, two poor ones and one disastrous one. 

I haven't seen anything that suggests he can turn this round. He probably still thinks we are going OK. 

16 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I wonder whether the worst cases are where an assistant takes over a struggling club rather than a planned succession. 

Smith and Elliot left to go back to Aus, Noble went to save Wigan ! 

3 hours ago, Just Browny said:

It was Briers mate. Was just trying to make the point that he has a pretty big role in the current set-up.

Incidentally I love the idea of Briers being a successful head coach. I like less the idea of him leaving in 18 months on bad terms because he had nothing new to bring to the role. I think sometimes you need to step out of an environment (Briers has been involved with Warrington for almost a quarter of a century) to learn new skills and try things out. He wouldn't have time to do that at Warrington.

looks like price has delegated the pre match preparations to briers already - a night on the beer and a cheeky kebab 

12 hours ago, DoubleD said:

I’m not convinced Lee Briers is head coach material but happy to be proved wrong. Anyway I thought Andrew Henderson was being primed to take over from Price

Henderson is surely going to be a SL Head Coach at some point.

It's going to have been 8 months between away wins in SL - Price really should be worried.

5 hours ago, Dave T said:

At London, if I recall correctly, both Andrew Henderson and Danny Ward got promoted from assistant roles and have performed well

5 minutes ago, Faithful1865 said:

You probably need to explain this to those fans who don't understand  the relevance of Rayners to sea going folk.

I think you've almost done it for me  ? but the reference was for Jacksy's benefit really.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

39 minutes ago, Faithful1865 said:

You probably need to explain this to those fans who don't understand  the relevance of Rayners to sea going folk.

I don’t know Hull very well but Raynor’s sounds like a place Seafarers might get dodgy cheap printer cartridges for their fishing trips? ?

17 hours ago, Cheshire Setter said:

I don’t know Hull very well but Raynor’s sounds like a place Seafarers might get dodgy cheap printer cartridges for their fishing trips? ?

Very good

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Unfortunately if they do replace Price (and I appreciate that the wire fans have probably suffered enough to want him out) then whoever comes in will have to deal with the Widdop white elephant.

Wire looked excellent against Saints, but since Widdop came into the side they've been pedestrian, and that's down to him.

I don't see how a new coach would be able to bench Widdop, given the fanfare around his signing, and I'm not convinced he's going to improve any time soon.

3 hours ago, Human Punk said:

Unfortunately if they do replace Price (and I appreciate that the wire fans have probably suffered enough to want him out) then whoever comes in will have to deal with the Widdop white elephant.

Wire looked excellent against Saints, but since Widdop came into the side they've been pedestrian, and that's down to him.

I don't see how a new coach would be able to bench Widdop, given the fanfare around his signing, and I'm not convinced he's going to improve any time soon.

Widdop isn’t the problem.   He’s played 3 games and showed glimpses of what he can do when he gels with Austin.   The team have played terribly as a unit, especially the forwards, in two and a half of the three games Widdop has been involved in.

This form has been going on since June last year.

The squad (although short of another decent prop and a first-choice centre) is actually pretty good and littered with raw talent...   it’s just that it needs a coach who can inspire them to something better, be consistent and utilise those talents.

I honestly don’t know who that coach is, but we have form at Warrington for persisting with coaches once the sparkle has gone.   Top sides don’t do that, it’s not good for either club OR coach.   

I guess we’ll have to wait until November for some board action to address the issue though.

2 hours ago, Cheshire Setter said:

Widdop isn’t the problem.   He’s played 3 games and showed glimpses of what he can do when he gels with Austin.   The team have played terribly as a unit, especially the forwards, in two and a half of the three games Widdop has been involved in.

This form has been going on since June last year.

The squad (although short of another decent prop and a first-choice centre) is actually pretty good and littered with raw talent...   it’s just that it needs a coach who can inspire them to something better, be consistent and utilise those talents.

I honestly don’t know who that coach is, but we have form at Warrington for persisting with coaches once the sparkle has gone.   Top sides don’t do that, it’s not good for either club OR coach.   

I guess we’ll have to wait until November for some board action to address the issue though.

The problem with Austin and Widdop is really they are both stand offs. Neither are scrum halves who can direct a team around the pitch. I'm not sure they complement each other (much like i question G Williams and Wighton will work). I hope i'm proved wrong in both cases

Archived