Is anyone else on high flood alert?

3 minutes ago, RidingPie said:

Well I was raising money for Fishlake before Christmas and now it’s my town on the news!

i hope everyone here is safe! For me at the moment this is all precautionary as things will have to be really bad to hit me. Since they’ve given me some, sandbags hooooo

I was concerned for you and yours when I saw the reports from Snaith in the local media as I remembered you said you lived there.

Hope things don't get any worse.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

2 hours ago, WelshpoolMarauder said:

I live in Shrewsbury, I’m beginning to forget a time when the river wasn’t overflowing!

Been working there for a couple of weeks had a walk to the river by the toll bridge a couple of times. Not good for those with houses round there. 

6 hours ago, bobbruce said:

Been working there for a couple of weeks had a walk to the river by the toll bridge a couple of times. Not good for those with houses round there. 

A couple that I work with live right by the river on Smithfield Road, they cleared out last weekend and I’m not sure they’ve been back since. The first lot of flooding was just underneath their front door, so this last bit has definitely done them damage.

I’m down by the Abbey, the warning area came up to the street behind my flat. Got a gig in Frankwell tomorrow night, that could be an interesting walk!

I know it’s First World Problems, but I’ve not been able to get to the cheese toastie place at the top of Wyle Cop all week, I’m having serious withdrawal symptoms ?

Where I am we're still ok fortunately, I think if we manage the next 48 hrs we'll be ok.

Sorry for not posting anything I've been a bit manic moving everything upstairs and done a bit of volunteering at the sports hall.

The community has pulled together really, we just need to hope the water doesn't spill across Pontefract Road at the low point after the school, though I believe they started sandbagging that last night.

Can't fathom (pun kind of intended) what it would be like living in an area prone to flooding.  When you see it on TV and everything is ruined, and most probably won't be covered by insurance it must be horrendous for them.  And then knowing that during or possibly shortly after repairs are made, it will happen again.

Where I am in Wakefield, if my street were to be flooded to the extent of these floods, half of Flanshaw estate, half of Peacock estate and all of Darnley/Lower Westgate would be totally under water.

We are near the top of the high ground in our area and the nearest flood source are a couple of becks which are both about 1/2 mile away and a good deal lower than we are.

It would have to be some biblical flooding though as we are about 50ft higher than the becks (according to this site - https://www.freemaptools.com/elevation-finder.htm).

Archived