Corona virus and France

Moderator, this is not a cross code thread.

Steps are being taken by the RU Authorities to possibly stop the games by both England and Ireland being played against Italy (only what I have seen on the news) Considering that there are more reported cases in France (13) and even in the last hour one reported in Mainland Spain should the travelling for both players band fans both to and from Toulouse and Perpignan (lots of traveling supporters base themselves in Spain) be considered to be put on hold?

And if such an action took place, what would happen to our League structures if both those clubs could not complete or missed a lot of their respective fixtures, if it did I think games against both clubs that have already taken place should be wiped from the records and the season should carry on regardless obviously TO could not gain enough points to achieve promotion, and Catalan could not avoid bottom spot, so the Championship carries on just the same and 11th placed in SL would get relegated, it is either that or have a season full of friendlies.

26 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Steps are being taken by the RU Authorities to possibly stop the games by both England and Ireland being played against Italy (only what I have seen on the news) Considering that there are more reported cases in France (13) and even in the last hour one reported in Mainland Spain should the travelling for both players band fans both to and from Toulouse and Perpignan (lots of traveling supporters base themselves in Spain) be considered to be put on hold?

And if such an action took place, what would happen to our League structures if both those clubs could not complete or missed a lot of their respective fixtures, if it did I think games against both clubs that have already taken place should be wiped from the records and the season should carry on regardless obviously TO could not gain enough points to achieve promotion, and Catalan could not avoid bottom spot, so the Championship carries on just the same and 11th placed in SL would get relegated, it is either that or have a season full of friendlies.

On the WHO situation report there are 12 new cases in France and 13 in the UK.  1 death to date in France.  There will also be many, many more who have such mild symptoms they will not even report it.

Why the panic?

More Coronavirus scaremongering - just what we need.

But for what it's worth, depending on the circumstances you could play the games in the UK (away supporters would be limited by flight restrictions). It would be more serious if there was an outbreak in the UK and Cats/Toulouse/Toronto don't want to travel back here but games can be postponed, relocated or played behind closed doors. I'm sure the RFL and Super League are drafting up contingency plans.

41 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Why the panic?

41 minutes ago, LR23 said:

Is it?  

I will make a note of your comments and readress you both in a couple of months, you may both prove to be right and my concers being completely unfounded, either one of us will be correct.

15 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Is it?  

I will make a note of your comments and readress you both in a couple of months, you may both prove to be right and my concers being completely unfounded, either one of us will be correct.

I answered your question anyway. The world will keep on turning and rugby league will continue to be played.

1 hour ago, Lowdesert said:

On the WHO situation report there are 12 new cases in France and 13 in the UK.  1 death to date in France.  There will also be many, many more who have such mild symptoms they will not even report it.

Why the panic?

1 hour ago, LR23 said:

But for what it's worth, depending on the circumstances you could play the games in the UK (away supporters would be limited by flight restrictions). It would be more serious if there was an outbreak in the UK and Cats/Toulouse/Toronto don't want to travel back here but games can be postponed, relocated or played behind closed doors. I'm sure the RFL and Super League are drafting up contingency plans.

The response to this, especially from China, should tell you all you need to know. The media has been downplaying it but it’s more serious than what is being reported 

1 minute ago, Boomer Bang Wool said:

The response to this, especially from China, should tell you all you need to know. The media has been downplaying it but it’s more serious than what is being reported 

We better get building our bunkers and stocking up on tinned goods then. Or we could just carry on as normal, heed the advice of the experts and not worry until we have something to worry about?

4 minutes ago, LR23 said:

We better get building our bunkers and stocking up on tinned goods then. Or we could just carry on as normal, heed the advice of the experts and not worry until we have something to worry about?

If anything, it’ll be the job of the experts to downplay it to avoid mass panic. But in the meantime, it would certainly be wise to stock up just to be on the safe side. You don’t want to be doing that when there are masses of desperate, panicked, violent people

40 minutes ago, LR23 said:

I answered your question anyway. The world will keep on turning and rugby league will continue to be played.

.Read back to what I said LR, I asked SHOULD there be reason for concern a few replies in and it is a mixed bag some are more cautious than others, exactly what I expected.

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

You're right - it's any other business. Not a chance this was ever going to stay related to RL. Scaremongering, conspiracy theories and whataboutery. In fact stick it in the Toronto thread. 

a bit of context, that is not to say we shouldn't take precautions since Covid -19 is a particularly virulent strain, but just think what normally happens

2019-2020 seasonal flu UK:

14,000 deaths

250,000 hospitalised

2019 Global seasonal Flu:

99,000 to 200,000 deaths

2018 Global Measles Deaths:

Covid-19 deaths so far 2,763 (4 outside China)

So whoever doesn't get children vaccinated, and gives grief to someone who is off work with 'man-flu' and is panicking about Covid-19 really need to get their priorities right. In all cases of illness if you are feeling unwell then you should self isolate as best you can especially keep away from vulnerable people (older people, young babies etc). Nothing gets my goat more than the selfish people who turn into work coughing and snotting all day.

Unfortunately people think the have a right to do as they please regardless of the consequence to others, so in cases of virulent diseases governments have to step in.

13 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

.Read back to what I said LR, I asked SHOULD there be reason for concern a few replies in and it is a mixed bag some are more cautious than others, exactly what I expected.

You asked what should be done regarding the games of overseas teams and the implications on relegation. I answered that question.

Archived