If you could meet one person from history...

Ooh that's tough! I never met 1 of my grandads,so he would be up there,but if we are talking historical figures  I would go for,hang on, how many can we have? D.b cooper,to find out what happened to him,sir Francis bacon because I imagine him to be very intriguing and genghis khan,because he's genghis khan

I have read a lot of stories about Jesus. Did he exist or not was he fake or true? It would be great to actually meet him  and evaluate with a modern open mind. Many parts of the bible have been altered or re written. It would be great to actually meet him in person. 

30 minutes ago, JDINTHEHIZZOUSE said:

Ooh that's tough! I never met 1 of my grandads,so he would be up there,but if we are talking historical figures  I would go for,hang on, how many can we have? D.b cooper,to find out what happened to him,sir Francis bacon because I imagine him to be very intriguing and genghis khan,because he's genghis khan

If you're wondering about D.B.Cooper, this movie is no help: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3588938/ It is just another David DeCoteau flick about young dudes who have forgotten to pack any shirts.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

28 minutes ago, JDINTHEHIZZOUSE said:

The fact you asked how many can we have is actually the reason I asked the question. Someone asked me this and I have been finding it nearly impossible to answer but I think I have come to my final decision. 

Religious leaders like Buddha, Jesus, Mohammed, Guru Nanak - what would they think of modern interpretations of their faith?

Gilgamesh, if any version of him ever existed.

Leif Erikson - did he reach the Americas? Akhenaten - why the sudden and complete heresy?

I know you'd need a Babel Fish for these, but that's no more nuts than time travel.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Great thread HG, bet this brings up some characters. I'm a bit of a history buff so I don't think I could name just one person - Henry V, Albert Pierrepoint,  John Wayne,  ‘Butcher Jack’ Fahey,  Digby Tatham-Warter,  Paddy Mayne,  Jack the Ripper, Blackbeard -and that's just off the top of my head and all for different reasons,   I'm sure some would be disappointing, and some really interesting.... but just one ... that would be hard.

Jam Eater  1.(noun. jam eeter) A Resident of Whitehaven or Workington. Offensive.  It is now a term of abuse that both towns of West Cumbria use for each other especially at Workington/Whitehaven rugby league derby matches.

St Albans Centurions Website 

3 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Religious leaders like Buddha, Jesus, Mohammed, Guru Nanak - what would they think of modern interpretations of their faith?

Gilgamesh, if any version of him ever existed.

Leif Erikson - did he reach the Americas? Akhenaten - why the sudden and complete heresy?

I know you'd need a Babel Fish for these, but that's no more nuts than time travel.

I’m a sucker for all those ufo and alien documentaries and apparently time travel is very real indeed .

7 minutes ago, Exiled Townie said:

Great thread HG, bet this brings up some characters. I'm a bit of a history buff so I don't think I could name just one person - Henry V, Albert Pierrepoint,  John Wayne,  ‘Butcher Jack’ Fahey,  Digby Tatham-Warter,  Paddy Mayne,  Jack the Ripper, Blackbeard -and that's just off the top of my head and all for different reasons,   I'm sure some would be disappointing, and some really interesting.... but just one ... that would be hard.

This sounds like the Red Dwarf episode ?

10 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I’m a sucker for all those ufo and alien documentaries and apparently time travel is very real indeed .

I believe in it, it always feels like I have traveled back in time when I venture upto Cumbria ?

5 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

This sounds like the Red Dwarf episode ?

vlcs.png

Jam Eater  1.(noun. jam eeter) A Resident of Whitehaven or Workington. Offensive.  It is now a term of abuse that both towns of West Cumbria use for each other especially at Workington/Whitehaven rugby league derby matches.

2 minutes ago, DavidM said:

What a  character . Quite incredible story . Boys own adventure stuff ... all hero .. part psycho ! Brilliant 

A fascinating character with a wild life story... but actually meeting him? What if he decided he didn't like you?

Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 minute ago, Futtocks said:

A fascinating character with a wild life story... but actually meeting him? What if he decided he didn't like you?

Absolutely . These were the hardest of hardest nuts and many were petrified of him 

7 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Believe me, I wouldn't upset him.

And there's talk of a tv drama about him.  Founder of the SAS David Stirling said he was shocked when Mayne (his second in command) gunned down around 30 unarmed enemy soldiers who were in a canteen during an operation in the Libyan desert in 1941.  Stirling later wrote "I was obliged to rebuke him".

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/entertainment/film-tv/tom-hardy-to-take-on-role-of-ulster-born-sas-hero-blair-mayne-38162732.html

Isaac Newton, then tell him about the theory of relativity and blow his mind.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Archived