Taking Origin abroad

Bert1

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I were them, I wouldn't do it.

State of Origin is literally the biggest event of the year in Australia... game 1 attracting the largest tv audience of any programme last year and all three matches in the top 4 rated tv programmes. 

I think the event should stay as a big Australia occasion or they will be very very disappointed that the vast majority of the rest of the world don't care that much about a game between two states in another country.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

13 minutes ago, DavidM said:

We’ve discussed this before and I just don’t see it . Origin is the sporting crown jewel for channel 9. Prime time , huge revenues . Why give one up to come here , say , and kick off at some ungodly hour . 

There could be a big market for NRL in the UK if they made an effort to grow interest here. Look how NFL has grown over the last few years and MLB probably will now they’re playing games over here too. NRL fits perfectly for people who want some live sport on tv on a weekend morning, I know lads at my work with no interest in SL who follow NRL teams. 

I can't see it going on the road outside Australia (New Zealand at a pinch, but still unlikely). But it would mean one truly home game for each state, and one that's fully away and neutral for both.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

The games are sell outs or close to it in Australia.

It is very difficult to get a good ticket.

What does it say to the local fans if you take it overseas?

It is never going to happen.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

The furthest abroad it would ever again would be New Zealand or maybe into South-East Asia.

As already mentioned, it is such an important property to the NRL and Channel 9, that if it suddenly wasn't in a TV friendly time-slot or was too far 'out of sight, out of mind' it could do significant damage to the concept and the profitability of both bodies.

South-East Asia would only be considered as the timezones in say Singapore, Japan or Hong Kong aren't significantly different than what Perth or Adelaide are (or in some cases they are the same).  NZ's downside is that it is a couple of hours ahead of Sydney, so either it's played really late, or Nine has to let the match move ahead an hour or two. 

I can't see there being much appetite to play it in London at like 11am....

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

2 minutes ago, Yakstorm said:

The furthest abroad it would ever again would be New Zealand or maybe into South-East Asia.

As already mentioned, it is such an important property to the NRL and Channel 9, that if it suddenly wasn't in a TV friendly time-slot or was too far 'out of sight, out of mind' it could do significant damage to the concept and the profitability of both bodies.

South-East Asia would only be considered as the timezones in say Singapore, Japan or Hong Kong aren't significantly different than what Perth or Adelaide are (or in some cases they are the same).  NZ's downside is that it is a couple of hours ahead of Sydney, so either it's played really late, or Nine has to let the match move ahead an hour or two. 

I can't see there being much appetite to play it in London at like 11am....

I can see it maybe being played in Auckland like you said. Maybe at a stretch Asia or the absolute stretch of all stretches Hawaii or West Coast America. Only then if someone throws a lot of money at the NRL.

I do think the neutral venue should remain an annual event. I never agreed with 1 team getting a 2-1 home advantage every year.

1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

NFL says hi

There is a key difference between the NFL and SOO of though isn't there.  NFL is a major global sporting brand with many fixtures being played during the year.  The latter is a representative match and as such has huge significance to those that it represents... i.e. the residents of New South Wales and Queensland.

I enjoy SOO but I don't care who wins.  When it is played in Brisbane and Sydney then it is attended by partisan fans creating a  phenomenal atmosphere.  I believe SOO loses something even when it moves to Melbourne and I dare say that a significant proportion of the people that attend there are from NSW or Queensland.

The attraction of State of Origin is the quality of the spectacle and (perhaps more importantly) the passion of the occasion and the intense rivalry between the two sides.  Take SOO away from the places that create the rivalry and it will be much reduced as an occasion in my opinion.

It would be a huge risk to rely on the fact it is a good game of rugby to sell it as a major event outside of Australia.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

NFL says hi

Does the NFL play 33% of its available fixtures abroad?

Interesting ...

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

35 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

It would be a huge risk to rely on the fact it is a good game of rugby to sell it as a major event outside of Australia.

I agree it loses something when the majority of the crowd has no emotional investment in the result but a huge risk to who?

Not the NRL, as it’s the biggest sports event in Australia and will continue to be regardless of success/failure of a game being taken abroad.

Might be a risk to a promoter but a good promoter sells out the new Spurs ground. Union fans go. It’s the biggest game of rugby in the world outside of internationals.

1 minute ago, Man of Kent said:

I agree it loses something when the majority of the crowd has no emotional investment in the result but a huge risk to who?

Not the NRL, as it’s the biggest sports event in Australia and will continue to be regardless of success/failure of a game being taken abroad.

Might be a risk to a promoter but a good promoter sells out the new Spurs ground. Union fans go. It’s the biggest game of rugby in the world outside of internationals.

Well, if the objective is money then that would work.

But the people who care about State of Origin are those fans in New South Wales and Queensland who these teams represent.  The risk is to disenfranchise those supporters who made SOO the success it is and turn it into just a money making exercise.

13 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Well, if the objective is money then that would work.

But the people who care about State of Origin are those fans in New South Wales and Queensland who these teams represent.  The risk is to disenfranchise those supporters who made SOO the success it is and turn it into just a money making exercise.

I’d go as far to say a game abroad is inevitable, as it’s hard to see how SOO gets any bigger in Australia. 

Maybe the NRL will take some club games abroad first - Canberra in England, anyone? - but if the NRL wants to fill big stadia and make waves then SOO is the one.  

6 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

I’d go as far to say a game abroad is inevitable, as it’s hard to see how SOO gets any bigger in Australia. 

Maybe the NRL will take some club games abroad first - Canberra in England, anyone? - but if the NRL wants to fill big stadia and make waves then SOO is the one.  

It can't get any bigger in Australia.  It is literally the biggest event of the year in Australia - not just sport but any event.

Taking it abroad may generate revenue and awareness but it will also be the start of the end for what made Origin special; which is one of the most intense sporting rivalries and intense physical confrontations in the world of sport played out in front of partisan supporters.  It will become an exhibition game for the NRL played out in front of people who don't care who wins.  The level of passion and intensity that State of Origin creates (which is its unique selling factor) cannot survive outside of Australia. 

Just an addition.

My view is that Australia should look to expand the awareness and brand of their Rugby League output as it is a fantastic product.  I just don't think State of Origin is the right vehicle.

Use the NRL... the world's premier club rugby competition.

or

Use the Kangaroos as the brand for the world's best rugby team.

(or ideally both of the above)

But State of Origin falls between the cracks.  It is not a national team so doesn't raise the national profile and not enough content to show and tell the world about.  And, fundamentally, it appeals to Australians first and foremost.

Archived