Taking Origin abroad

Bert1

7 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Pretty much every RL fan I know recognises SOO as the pinnacle of the game and picks one of the other to back each time it comes round. We'd all love Internationals to be the biggest games in RL but that's not the case and not likely to be anytime soon. So, yes I think it'd be huge - but I don't think it will or should happen though. 

This is an interesting point.

State of Origin became the pinnacle of Rugby League in the 80's and 90's when the Australian team were so dominant (with a few exceptions) that the highest standard of Rugby was intra-Australian

Now, with the continued development of players in the NRL with Pacific Island heritage you could make a very strong case that the best representative team from the NRL would not be those that qualify and play for NSW/Queensland and Australia.

Will State of Origin remain such an asset when some of the very best players in the Australian game are not playing in it? 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

And they'd do just the same as always 

Watch it on the telly 

No they’d go to watch an NRL game in this country and would subscribe to watch it on TV. You need to get beyond the idea that it’s only people who go to the ground who generate income for a club - the Premier League realised that over 25 years ago and look at them now. 

6 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

rotate them.

I would probably prioritise Toronto and Les Catalans as they wont bring huge numbers to magic anyway but rotate them every year

You'd have to have them as you to not adversely affect magic attendances 

So how many games of RL over the whole weekend in total ?

4 minutes ago, Eddie said:

No they’d go to watch an NRL game in this country and would subscribe to watch it on TV. You need to get beyond the idea that it’s only people who go to the ground who generate income for a club - the Premier League realised that over 25 years ago and look at them now. 

Do they pay to watch it now?

2 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

This is an interesting point.

State of Origin became the pinnacle of Rugby League in the 80's and 90's when the Australian team were so dominant (with a few exceptions) that the highest standard of Rugby was intra-Australian

Now, with the continued development of players in the NRL with Pacific Island heritage you could make a very strong case that the best representative team from the NRL would not be those that qualify and play for NSW/Queensland and Australia.

Will State of Origin remain such an asset when some of the very best players in the Australian game are not playing in it? 

Yeah that's a good call. I think for me until Australia's international dominance is truly tested on a more regular basis then it's easy to see how SOO is still seen as the cream of the crop. The Pacific Island resurgence is important to changing that and making internationals the pinnacle. 

5 minutes ago, Eddie said:

The Premier stadiums were operating at close to 100% capacity when the real money started to come in 

Just now, GUBRATS said:

Do they pay to watch it now?

Has your argument now just turned into SoO and NRL not being popular over here?

I imagine that they have to pay to watch it now - seeing how it isn't on any FTA channels.

If SoO or an NRL game came over here you would get a lot of people interested in attending.

Just now, GUBRATS said:

The Premier stadiums were operating at close to 100% capacity when the real money started to come in 

It doesn’t matter, the point is that attendances in the PL are almost irrelevant when it comes to income from TV, sponsorship and merchandise. 

1 minute ago, Click said:

Has your argument now just turned into SoO and NRL not being popular over here?

I imagine that they have to pay to watch it now - seeing how it isn't on any FTA channels.

If SoO or an NRL game came over here you would get a lot of people interested in attending.

As I asked Eddie , do they subscribe just for the NRL ?

17 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I wasn't being snide.  Just frank.

And your final three paragraphs are exactly my point, State of Origin is massive in Australia and barley touches the sporting consciousness anywhere else (and I say that as an Englishman who has watched almost every Origin game since 1985).  Just the same as the Australians don't care too much about sporting events that are either off their shores or don't involve their teams (with the exception of huge brands like the Premier League and NFL I guess but who thinks SOO would emulate these global powerhouses). 

I want Australia to get their export of Rugby League right and I don't think that State of Origin is it. 

You were being snide. You were particular that Aussie’s would learn that SOO is not so bloody important as (You think) they think it is.

your original first paragraph was all that needed saying. Your additional comments were unnecessary.

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

As I asked Eddie , do they subscribe just for the NRL ?

It's irrelevant - Can I replace Eddie's friends to say that I had a Watch NRL subscription last year? As I am sure quite a few of us other UK fans had one at some stage.

2 minutes ago, Eddie said:

No of course not. I don’t know what your point is here btw. 

They subscribe for sports , mostly football , they probably don't go watching that live either , they are armchair fans ,talk the talk , not walk the walk ,there's always a reason not to go 

2 minutes ago, Click said:

It's irrelevant - Can I replace Eddie's friends to say that I had a Watch NRL subscription last year? As I am sure quite a few of us other UK fans had one at some stage.

Quite a few ?

What did it cost you ? 

1 minute ago, Sports Prophet said:

You were being snide. You were particular that Aussie’s would learn that SOO is not so bloody important as (You think) they think it is.

your original first paragraph was all that needed saying. Your additional comments were unnecessary.

I was not being snide. It was said in exactly the same way as if someone pitched a product launch to me at work... a reality check on what was possible and why.

I stated the positive about the product in it's own market and I expressed the reasons why it wouldn't extend to a global appeal.  Not snide, practical.

I accept that these are my opinions and I could well be wrong but this doesn't change the tone or the context.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

10 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

They subscribe for sports , mostly football , they probably don't go watching that live either , they are armchair fans ,talk the talk , not walk the walk ,there's always a reason not to go 

So if you don't go to the games in person, your opinion is irrelevant? Because the'yre armchair fans? I mean in the case you're talking about, their UK based and they are watching NRL, I think the reason they may not go to live games is that they're played the other side of the country.

Does "Walk the walk" literally mean they have to be walking to the stadium?

Just now, GUBRATS said:

So we just had the Aussie Champions over here last week and we couldn't fill out an 18,000 capacity stadium , and some think we'd fill out a 50,000 stadium for 2 Aussie teams playing each other ?

No chance 

Take the fickle UK fans that won't go to watch St Helens play because they're Leeds fan, etc and you may get more.

We had 14k with only 1 UK team involved - That doesn't seem too bad. Not great - but RL crowds never are.

Archived