Martin Ridyard

Joe 90

Excellent news and and hopefully one that will help enhance support for the club over this crucial season and a winning side challenging for the play-offs. The link up with Sean Penkywicz will provide a very useful threat to  opponents. 

Barrow has just announced plans to further attract youngsters (and hopefully future supporters)

For now, hopefully an extended respite from this awful weather and especially some control of the Coranavirus which, alas, will have its say in sport in general.

Great attempt to boost attendence and change thedemographic. Hope it works but will probably need a sustained long term approach.

I have my doubts...biggest problem for third tier is the product...how many people are attracted by barrow (or Hornets) versus the latest configuration of southern teams.  

But good luck to them and hope it works.

8 hours ago, Anita Bath said:

I have my doubts...biggest problem for third tier is the product...how many people are attracted by barrow (or Hornets) versus the latest configuration of southern teams.  

But it's expansion into the south that will help the sport grow.

Is that tongue in cheek....we have been told that since early in the last century.

The league has accepted new teams without any clear or at least accurate business plan in there desperation to claim the professional game has a national spread.

Look at the third tier table for the last 10 years....the northern clubs in the top half the southern in the bottom half with the few wins they have coming from beating each other. Gloucester, Oxford, bristol, hemel, northampton (didnt makeit to the starting line). They have spread what talent is available more thinly leaving a poorer product to watch. The result, reduced crowds for all.

We are not football, and we are not rugby union and we should stop trying to be them.

Played at its best we have a great product but lets stop watering it down.

11 hours ago, The Lad said:

Do we know how long they are on loan for?

I think until the end of the season but both players can be recalled if Leigh need them. Riddy could become a permanent signing next year but Brad is young and  a bit of a special talent , I am sure Leigh will want to hold onto him next year.

23 hours ago, Anita Bath said:

Look at the third tier table for the last 10 years....the northern clubs in the top half the southern in the bottom half with the few wins they have coming from beating each other. Gloucester, Oxford, bristol, hemel, northampton (didnt makeit to the starting line). They have spread what talent is available more thinly leaving a poorer product to watch. The result, reduced crowds for all.

Yes it has been hard to get southern clubs to do well but we need clubs down south if we are going to grow the game, they only spread the talent because the governing body hasn't done enough to promote the game down there that's not Oxford or hemel's fault.

23 hours ago, Anita Bath said:

We are not football, and we are not rugby union and we should stop trying to be them.

Successful and nationwide with a great domestic and international brand, that turns a profit every year, who would want that?.

Yes but London Skolars have been a very well run and sustainable club and North Wales Crusaders are as well.  We all I hope want well thought out expansion which is not the Rimmer inspired scattergun effect and to be honest another venture into South Wales and a few of the others were folly.  Coventry and Newcastle I really hope continue to become stronger and I see a value in both, which is four in total.

Hornets are lucky to now have a Chairperson who can guide some very good people to achieve business stability and then grow the fanbase up to the thousand mark in what is a good setting, although sadly no longer a shared ownership stadium.

I would say to any RL fan what union have done to us over our history what happened to French RL was ten times worse and I would love to see the game in France have its day once again and expand and be supplemented with Australian RL commercial knowledge and experience.

When will we stop blaming RU for our problems....did RU run down the Challenge Cup competition...the greatest club competition in any form of rugby.  Where RU responsible for deciding the reigning cup holders would have to sign a guarantee of ticket sales before they could defend the trophy.  How many professional sports have expanded so often to so many places that failed...southend, carlisle, maidstone,mansfield, gloucester, cardiff, trafford, chorley, scarborough.........

RL management has traditionally been poor. But for me the biggest conundrum at the moment is the timing of the season commencement.

In ''The good old days ''' ? The season started in Autumn when Holidays were out of the way, nights shortening, peoples summer activities / holidays were coming to an end and they were looking for something to pass the long cold winter days / nights, and it was still warm enough to enjoy the season commencement and get into the habit of watching RL and enjoying the Christmas holiday fixtures before the traditional freezing  'postponement ' months of January and February which we suffered before emerging optimistically into Spring with the Easter holiday fixtures, Challenge Cup day out in spring and the conclusion of the League positions to look forward to before booking our holidays, unpacking the golf clubs and cricket gear after the RL season had finished. Summer ?️‍♀️?‍♂️

We also had the Floodlit cup, Lancashire cup, and other competitions with no seeding, which sometimes gave us lower league supporters a chance of a big gate and a top club with all the dreams of an upset on the cards.

Yes I am an Old F***t but I think our seasons timings are more than a little detrimental to the games health.

Anyway my rose tinted glasses are off and my Horlicks is ready as I wait for Hornet V Keighley hoping the rain stops.

Rant over, enjoy the season everyone.

On 03/03/2020 at 08:48, Anita Bath said:

When will we stop blaming RU for our problems....did RU run down the Challenge Cup competition...the greatest club competition in any form of rugby.  Where RU responsible for deciding the reigning cup holders would have to sign a guarantee of ticket sales before they could defend the trophy.  How many professional sports have expanded so often to so many places that failed...southend, carlisle, maidstone,mansfield, gloucester, cardiff, trafford, chorley, scarborough.........

If you have not please read The Forbidden Game.  The FRU played patsy to the NAZI regime banning and then stripping the FRL of all their assets and they have never been returned.  The RFU and WRFU have always had one agenda to kill RL at all costs.  I do agree we have not helped ourselves and the heritage of building and owning our stadiums was given away too easily in my opinion.  The club who I feel deserve total praise is Batley.  Same ground significantly improved within budget and no financial drama that I remember and stayed as a Championship club and decent crowds for the demographic of the town.  What you do though is highlight failure but never success.  

Archived