Harry Newman: Leeds Rhinos’ Junior Senior

12 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Great prospect as you both say, but at this moment in time would you select him ahead of Griffin, Connor, Percival, Lynn, Gildart, Bibby or King?

Of those mentioned I think that Griffin is the most improved, he is big, powerful and fast and if he keeps up his present form he should not be overlooked come the test series, my opinion of course.

Hopefully we can add Watkins to this list if he hits form

12 hours ago, JM2010 said:

Hopefully we can add Watkins to this list if he hits form

For me he is like the song by Chris Farlow JM "Yesterday's Man". 

But if he does hit the straps and he is getting the accolades in the NRL then he should come into consideration, but he should not be in the mix because of past form there has been far far to much of that done by any number of GB/England coaches previously, somehow though I don't think that will be Mr Wane's style, I hope he doesn't prove me wrong. 

On ‎02‎/‎03‎/‎2020 at 07:49, Harry Stottle said:

Great prospect as you both say, but at this moment in time would you select him ahead of Griffin, Connor, Percival, Lynn, Gildart, Bibby or King?

Of those mentioned I think that Griffin is the most improved, he is big, powerful and fast and if he keeps up his present form he should not be overlooked come the test series, my opinion of course.

Personally, I would have him instead of Griffin, Connor and Lynn for sure. Percival is good, Lynn has promise, but hasn't shown much to show he would make it as an international. Gildart is too small for internationals, and I haven't seen too much of Bibby or King to comment.

Griffin from what I have seen has really good go forward, but his defense and his lateral movement can be awful. Against the top players, he would get exposed too easily for me.

I think that is the big area is defending out wide, our young players don't tend to be very good at it. Then again our centres have been awful for years. I haven't seen a good centre performance for England/GB since Sarginson played against Australia a number of years ago.

6 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

For me he is like the song by Chris Farlow JM "Yesterday's Man". 

But if he does hit the straps and he is getting the accolades in the NRL then he should come into consideration, but he should not be in the mix because of past form there has been far far to much of that done by any number of GB/England coaches previously, somehow though I don't think that will be Mr Wane's style, I hope he doesn't prove me wrong. 

I totally agree. Pick players on form regardless of age or where they play.

Maybe Watkins has had his best years but if he does find form there's not many better centres

Archived