Best Player You've Ever Played Against?

I've been kinda lucky.

Got asked to mark Paul Newlove - that was a chore until he went off, much to my relief - was like tackling an elephant. Covered in grease. And faster than me.
Played against Jason Robinson (not as fast as me! Until he started side-stepping - which is cheating, btw).
Henry Paul (a nightmare to tackle - I say "tackle", I couldn't get anywhere near him!) .
Hugh Waddell (coach asked me prop against a bloke who held his own against Martin Bella, Kevin Ward, Sam Backo, Greg Dowling, Lee Crooks, Blocker Roach etc. You can probably guess how well that went...) With a grin, he said, "Aaaah, you're not gonna enjoy this laddie" as we packed down for the first scrum...

Best one I played against was Nigel Wright of Wiggin, Wakey & Stanley fame. Such a shame about his injuries. He was sublime.

"Australia is a spoiled nation. They can expect my revenge. I'm not crazy when I say this, they are the crazy ones who give you hot sausages before the match when it's 40 degrees celsius outside."

--------------------------

"Shifty Matty Petersen trying to get in there with a little five-fingered discount." Franklin Field, Philadelphia, 30/11/2004

FourthThird Second Best Statement Ever: Student Ram 02/06/2004 (Without a trace of irony): "... because, when you think about it, really... Wakefield is kind of the centre of the universe. You know, both ways, you've got..."

Followed by a half a minute justification of this point of view.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Cas Vegas said:

I've been kinda lucky.

Got asked to mark Paul Newlove - that was a chore until he went off, much to my relief - was like tackling an elephant. Covered in grease. And faster than me.
Played against Jason Robinson (not as fast as me! Until he started side-stepping - which is cheating, btw).
Henry Paul (a nightmare to tackle - I say "tackle", I couldn't get anywhere near him!) .
Hugh Waddell (coach asked me prop against a bloke who held his own against Martin Bella, Kevin Ward, Sam Backo, Greg Dowling, Lee Crooks, Blocker Roach etc. You can probably guess how well that went...) With a grin, he said, "Aaaah, you're not gonna enjoy this laddie" as we packed down for the first scrum...

Best one I played against was Nigel Wright of Wiggin, Wakey & Stanley fame. Such a shame about his injuries. He was sublime.

Nothing even close. A Simms brother (London Skolars) was the best I played against, and it was almost spectating.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

1 minute ago, Bob8 said:

Nothing even close. A Simms brother (London Skolars) was the best I played against, and it was almost spectating.

Oooh - forgot to say - played against Panface as well. I found him to be a bit windy if you gave an early rib-tickler.

So it was with little surprise that he gravitated to play & coach onion, with his little slightly less panfaced son. </dustsOffHands>

"Australia is a spoiled nation. They can expect my revenge. I'm not crazy when I say this, they are the crazy ones who give you hot sausages before the match when it's 40 degrees celsius outside."

"Shifty Matty Petersen trying to get in there with a little five-fingered discount." Franklin Field, Philadelphia, 30/11/2004

FourthThird Second Best Statement Ever: Student Ram 02/06/2004 (Without a trace of irony): "... because, when you think about it, really... Wakefield is kind of the centre of the universe. You know, both ways, you've got..."

2 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

Actually, I will expand, it was one of the first games they played. I was on the wing for Oxford Cavaliers.

I missed him, and my teammate managed to grad him and I whacked him hard and he want off for ten minutes. I had thought I had him off the pitch for good. The same thing happened again, but this time he kicked me in the shin so hard I had calicification there for years.

Turns out, I had put his shoulder out the first time and he had it put back in and returned. I was drinking with his brother, and Mum and it turned out they were on weekend release from prison for their Dad's funeral. I though I would give them time together and excused myself, the Mum would not have it! Assumed I was not being well looked after enough and sent her lad off to get me more beer. Genuinely lovely family.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Controversial one - Ralph Rimmer!

It was my 2nd ever game of RL and we were trounced by his Liverpool University team 94-0, he ran riot.

The next game we found a ringer at the Uni from Barrow who had represented BARLA. He was just a mass of knees and elbows to the opposition, and had sublime ball skills. He scored 4 tries and we won 20-16

12 hours ago, Bob8 said:

Actually, I will expand, it was one of the first games they played. I was on the wing for Oxford Cavaliers.

I missed him, and my teammate managed to grad him and I whacked him hard and he want off for ten minutes. I had thought I had him off the pitch for good. The same thing happened again, but this time he kicked me in the shin so hard I had calicification there for years.

Turns out, I had put his shoulder out the first time and he had it put back in and returned. I was drinking with his brother, and Mum and it turned out they were on weekend release from prison for their Dad's funeral. I though I would give them time together and excused myself, the Mum would not have it! Assumed I was not being well looked after enough and sent her lad off to get me more beer. Genuinely lovely family.

What had they been in chokey for, @Bob8?

11 hours ago, shaun mc said:

Controversial one - Ralph Rimmer!

It was my 2nd ever game of RL and we were trounced by his Liverpool University team 94-0, he ran riot.

The next game we found a ringer at the Uni from Barrow who had represented BARLA. He was just a mass of knees and elbows to the opposition, and had sublime ball skills. He scored 4 tries and we won 20-16

Ralph. Rimmer.

You gotta be kidding me, @shaun mc?

10 hours ago, Saint 1 said:

Played with Ben Currie, Andy Ackers and Chris Hankinson. Also played against Ben, Chris, and Dom Manfredi. I remember turning up to Wigan Service Area trials and finding out I was competing with Dom for a fullback spot which was pretty dispiriting! This was all u15s-u16s.

It's funny looking back at how some of the best players at u16s end up doing relatively little. There was a lad called Chris Taylor who was one of the best players in the country at u16s (along with Ben Currie and Dom Manfredi) and ended up playing for Whitehaven. Injuries are a lottery.

That's not a bad roll call, @Saint 1! ?

1 hour ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Viktor Korchnoi at chess 

You're just making it up now. ?

PS I have taught eight people how to play chess. Each of them, within five games, managed to go on unbeaten streaks against me. Fuc/<:ng hate chess, now, me.

1 minute ago, Bob8 said:

Armed robbery.

We all make mistakes.

Yes, getting caught is a big one.

14 minutes ago, Cas Vegas said:

You're just making it up now. ?

PS I have taught eight people how to play chess. Each of them, within five games, managed to go on unbeaten streaks against me. Fuc/<:ng hate chess, now, me.

Really it happened!  He was a very old man at the time.  

I lasted 80 moves before resigning with doubled pawns in a lost King-Pawn endgame.

Met Garry Kasparov the same day and got him to sign my book about Viktor Korchnoi.

42 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Really it happened!  He was a very old man at the time.  

I lasted 80 moves before resigning with doubled pawns in a lost King-Pawn endgame.

Met Garry Kasparov the same day and got him to sign my book about Viktor Korchnoi.

Good. Anyway, glad I'm rubbish at chess. Proves that I'm not a nerd. Ah yeah. I'm so street.

I played a park game with Emlyn Hughes on the day he signed to Liverpool from Blackpool for £65000.

Bill Shankley called him over to go to his car and he went taking his coat with him. So we lost a goal post as well as player from the game.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

1 hour ago, Cas Vegas said:

Ralph. Rimmer.

You gotta be kidding me, @shaun mc?

Got to remember the level I was playing at Cas - we can't all quote top pro players! ? Half our team were complete newbies

We can agree Ralph's a big lad and he trampled all over us

Have played union with and against a few who signed for Carlisle BR RL  - Barry Vickers, Eddie Southwell, Keith Lynch spring to mind

Leon Pryce i reckon. We beat Bradford one week, he turned up a few week later and they slapped us.

Squash - Played the worlds number 3 at the time (would have been early 2000s). Won a few points surprisingly. Both excrutiatingly hungover. 

Played Jimmy Michie* at snooker in Fev. He had a 100 start and won on the last black. 

Played poker against the Dave the Hullfish Elliot or whatever his name was. Dont remember much of those evenings

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

Dereck Pyke , Kirkhall cup semi around 1970 , put him on his Harris , but not till after he'd built up a winning score against us 

Year later we went on to win the final at Hilton Park 

Same night my brother played in the The Reubens cup final for Westleigh High , they were winning at half time until some kid called Woods ? came on and ripped them apart 

5 hours ago, Saint 1 said:

Also played against Corey Aston, James Woodburn-Hall (at university) and quite a few League 1 players. Coached Lewis Peachey (Cas), Josh Hodson (London Broncos) and a couple of League 1 players a bit in their junior days too, not that I have anything to do with their success!

Nonsense. Claim everything @Saint 1, everything. Demand signed pro-shirts from them, too.

7 hours ago, Bearman said:

I played a park game with Emlyn Hughes on the day he signed to Liverpool from Blackpool for £65000.

Bill Shankley called him over to go to his car and he went taking his coat with him. So we lost a goal post as well as player from the game.

That's a good one, @Bearman. ?

Archived