Sign in to follow this  
RL does what Sky says

29 February... What's so special ?

NB I originally put this topic in the "Other Business" section but it can also concern RL 

It happens once every four years ... so what's so special for you about this date ?

Well can anyone equal this RL record held by Oldham (certainly nobody can beat it !) .....

Since the formation of the Rugby League (Northern Union) in 1895 Oldham have played 6 matches on 29 February (1908, 1936, 1964, 1968, 1976, 2008) ... and won all of them !

Furthermore the points conceded in each match were as follows ... 2, 5, 7, 2, 5, 8 ... a total of - yes you guessed it - 29 !!!!!!!!!!

Has any other team got a 100% record for matches played on any particular date ?

Edited by RL does what Sky says
  • Like 8

The fact they aren't playing today after that revelation is very disappointing.

Or are they like championship boxers who avoid the big fights to maintain their record?

Who actually was it that figured out this stat? I thought I had too much time on my hands at times, but wow!

• Haha 1

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

16 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

The fact they aren't playing today after that revelation is very disappointing.

Or are they like championship boxers who avoid the big fights to maintain their record?

Who actually was it that figured out this stat? I thought I had too much time on my hands at times, but wow!

If they wanted to avoid defeats then I'm sure they wouldn't have attempted - as a Division 2 club at the time - playing Division 1 Featherstone Rovers in the second round of the 1964 Challenge Cup. Furthermore, in 1968, Oldham, who were then in the bottom 10 of the 30-team one division league, had drawn 6-6 in another second round Challenge Cup tie away to Bradford Northern, who were then in the top 6 of the league, and then beat them 12-2 in the replay at Watesrsheddings on Thursday 29 February. Again, if trying to avoid defeat on the 29th why agree to that date against such a high-ranking team ?

Fortunately in Oldham there are people who actually use the "time on their hands" to good effect and formed the "Oldham RL Heritage Trust". One of their projects was to research every game Oldham have ever played and here is the link the those matches played on 29 February .... https://orl-heritagetrust.org.uk/today-in-history/

EDIT It's now 1 March and the above link has changed to matches on that date ... you'll have to check it all again in 2024 !!!

• Like 1

One of my first away games was to The Watersheddings by train from Wakey to Oldham Mumps station then a short walk to the ground.It would be about 1958 when Oldham won the Lancashire cup about 3 times in 5yrs.Oldham pack had Charlie Winslade  Dick Keith (hooker) Don Vines and Derek Rocky Turner at loose forward.Vines got sent off and two fingered the crowd of supporters who were booing him as he walked to the touchline.I played centre in the junior school team and tried to model my play on Alan Davies who was in the centre for Oldham,a cracking player.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

One of my first away games was to The Watersheddings by train from Wakey to Oldham Mumps station then a short walk to the ground.It would be about 1958 when Oldham won the Lancashire cup about 3 times in 5yrs.Oldham pack had Charlie Winslade  Dick Keith (hooker) Don Vines and Derek Rocky Turner at loose forward.Vines got sent off and two fingered the crowd of supporters who were booing him as he walked to the touchline.I played centre in the junior school team and tried to model my play on Alan Davies who was in the centre for Oldham,a cracking player.

Do you have to remind me of how good Oldham used to be ?  😭

But yes, that was when Oldham were at the top. Just to clarify a couple of points ... Oldham won the Lancashire Cup three years running (1956, 1957, 1958). The hooker was actually called Jack Keith but that pack you quote was certainly a very formidable one. In 1957 they won every trophy available to them apart from one ... the Challenge Cup (and we've still never been to Wembley yet !)

However in 1959 both Derek Turner and Don Vines then transferred to Wakefield and who then won the Challenge Cup three times in four years.

As you say, Alan Davies was one of the finest centres the game has known and still holds the club record for the number of tries in a career.

Oh, just one other point .... many people outside Oldham always refer to the ground as "THE Watersheddings" ... it is actually just "Watersheddings", which is a district of Oldham, just as "Headingley is a district of Leeds.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, RL does what Sky says said:

NB I originally put this topic in the "Other Business" section but it can also concern RL 

It happens once every four years ... so what's so special for you about this date ?

Well can anyone equal this RL record held by Oldham (certainly nobody can beat it !) .....

Since the formation of the Rugby League (Northern Union) in 1895 Oldham have played 6 matches on 29 February (1908, 1936, 1964, 1968, 1976, 2008) ... and won all of them !

Furthermore the points conceded in each match were as follows ... 2, 5, 7, 2, 5, 8 ... a total of - yes you guessed it - 29 !!!!!!!!!!

Has any other team got a 100% record for matches played on any particular date ?

Who did the maths on this? 

8 hours ago, RL does what Sky says said:

Why, something wrong ?

2 + 5  = 7       + 7  = 14       + 2  =  16      + 5  =  21       + 8  = 29

Sorry... Meant more has anyone checked the numbers (scores/facts) are true

I did a science degree and am trained to question evidence

Just realised I'm being a miserable fun sponge ****..... sorry

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, sentoffagain2 said:

A short walk? Its a good mile and a half or so! 🙂 I used to live on Herbert Street, and my bedroom window overlooked about 2/3's of the pitch - I miss that old place 😞 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Sorry... Meant more has anyone checked the numbers (scores/facts) are true

I did a science degree and am trained to question evidence

Just realised I'm being a miserable fun sponge ****..... sorry

It's OK .. as I have said many times on here, the written word is not always the best communicator. What someone means can be understood by another as something completely different.

Yes all the facts are correct. We are fortunate that there are some Oldham fans who have researched the whole history of the club and have now produced a website which among other things shows every player who has ever put on an Oldham shirt as well the scores from every match.

The link to the  main page for the website is https://orl-heritagetrust.org.uk/

• Like 2

11 hours ago, RL does what Sky says said:

It's OK .. as I have said many times on here, the written word is not always the best communicator. What someone means can be understood by another as something completely different.

Yes all the facts are correct. We are fortunate that there are some Oldham fans who have researched the whole history of the club and have now produced a website which among other things shows every player who has ever put on an Oldham shirt as well the scores from every match.

The link to the  main page for the website is https://orl-heritagetrust.org.uk/

You have to respect people who waste their time doing stuff like that - legends.