Which non heartland/traditional teams would you like to see in Super League?

JM2010

Toronto are currently in SL and there are many differing opinions about what they do and don't offer in terms of playing standards, crowds, publicity/media coverage, tv deals, youth systems, domestic set up and leagues etc.

What teams would add the most to the competition and why?

Teams such as London Broncos, London Skolars, Toulouse, Avignon,  Newcastle, a Welsh team, Sheffield, New York, Ottawa.

I'm not talking pins in maps here but already existing clubs or, in the case of NY and Ottawa, propsed professional clubs

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just for the record I'd like to see Newcastle climb through the leagues and get to SL.

They seem to be building something and within the next few years if the NE community game can keep growing they might be able to have a strong set up with decent crowds and one of the better youth systems

14 minutes ago, meast said:

We had this topic a few weeks ago and it was York and Belgrade I think, or was it Sheffield and Ulan Bataar?

Is York outside the heartlands? It’s on the edge I suppose. I’d like to see Newcastle, feel they could really kick on in SL

In the UK, London, Bradford and West Cumbria United (Whitehaven & Workington would still participate in Championships). Outside the UK id like to see Catalans and Toulouse both in Super League if a French TV deal can be sourced to fund them with P & R for French Super League sides to be between Super League and French Elite One to preserve the Integrity of French TV Rights deal and the Elite One competition.

My answer is none, because the last 2-3 years has shown that having the likes of Toronto and New York in the same league as the small time away fan-dependent traditional clubs with their small time mindset and operational model is truly a mix of oil and water.

Those expansion teams should instead be in their own transatlantic, inter-continental and multinational league capable of demolishing the stereotype that RL is just a small time regional sport with limited appeal.

27 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

My answer is none, because the last 2-3 years has shown that having the likes of Toronto and New York in the same league as the small time away fan-dependent traditional clubs with their small time mindset and operational model is truly a mix of oil and water.

Those expansion teams should instead be in their own transatlantic, inter-continental and multinational league capable of demolishing the stereotype that RL is just a small time regional sport with limited appeal.

It also unfair that semi pro sides from Towns and cities in the north of England are used as financial speed bumps by cashed up American sides in the Championship before gaining promotion. I am dreaming but definitely still within the bounds of possibility a North American Rugby league could be set up initially featuring Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, New York, Jacksonville, Utah.  

5 minutes ago, kiwis 13 6 said:

It also unfair that semi pro sides from Towns and cities in the north of England are used as financial speed bumps by cashed up American sides in the Championship before gaining promotion. I a m dreaming a bit but still within the bounds of possibility a North American Rugby league could be set up initially featuring Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, New York, Jacksonville, Utah.  

Yes you are dreaming there.  A pro RL league based over here would absolutely need the unique outside-the-box transatlantic aspect to generate the necessary publicity to be a success, and as a startup league it would need a big spread of countries to attract enough broadcast partners to provide the TV rights money needed to underwrite it for the simple reason that no single broadcaster would pay as much to show it as they pay for any of their current sports properties.

25 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

Yes you are dreaming there.  A pro RL league based over here would absolutely need the unique outside-the-box transatlantic aspect to generate the necessary publicity to be a success, and as a startup league it would need a big spread of countries to attract enough broadcast partners to provide the TV rights money needed to underwrite it for the simple reason that no single broadcaster would pay as much to show it as they pay for any of their current sports properties.

Yeah no argument I am dreaming but a Toronto TV deal for super league coverage and with Ottawa and New York in lower leagues... then you have the possibility of linking up with other areas of North America where there has been some interest in the Sport Like Jacksonville, Utah, Hawaii and forming a North American Competition. Clubs from small towns and cities mostly in the north of England with limited budgets in lower divisions of the RFL structure cant continue to be expected to be used as qualifying hurdles again & again by every North American side wanting to enter Super League. At some stage North American going to have to develop there own competiton.

25 minutes ago, kiwis 13 6 said:

Yeah no argument I am dreaming but a Toronto TV deal for super league coverage and with Ottawa and New York in lower leagues... then you have the possibility of linking up with other areas of North America where there has been some interest in the Sport Like Jacksonville, Utah, Hawaii and forming a North American Competition. Clubs from small towns and cities mostly in the north of England with limited budgets in lower divisions of the RFL structure cant continue to be expected to be used as qualifying hurdles again & again by every North American side wanting to enter Super League. At some stage North American going to have to develop there own competiton.

That's just more dreaming.  The idea of a team in the lower leagues succeeding in the Big Apple is simply ludicrous, a team there has to start in the top tier to have any chance of success and that tier would have to be a lot higher in profile etc. than the so-called Super League is.  Likewise Jacksonville, Salt Lake City and Honolulu are not the sort of markets which a new league would include if it's going to be credible; that requires major media markets like New York, Toronto and the like and only such major media markets.

A new competition with a big North American component and based in such major media markets could work, but only if it's a transatlantic league with franchises in comparable major media markets across the pond so it has something to offer broadcasters, sponsors and the public which is unprecedented in other sports.

9 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

That's just more dreaming.  The idea of a team in the lower leagues succeeding in the Big Apple is simply ludicrous, a team there has to start in the top tier to have any chance of success and that tier would have to be a lot higher in profile etc. than the so-called Super League is.  Likewise Jacksonville, Salt Lake City and Honolulu are not the sort of markets which a new league would include if it's going to be credible; that requires major media markets like New York, Toronto and the like and only such major media markets.

A new competition with a big North American component and based in such major media markets could work, but only if it's a transatlantic league with franchises in comparable major media markets across the pond so it has something to offer broadcasters, sponsors and the public which is unprecedented in other sports.

Give us a full list of these major media markets on both sides of the pond that you propose to include in your entirely new & totally independent competition? 

12 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

Give us a full list of these major media markets on both sides of the pond that you propose to include in your entirely new & totally independent competition? 

If I somehow manage to get it to the starting gate, you'll hear in due course.  Suffice it to say that the cities which I have in mind would build on existing rivalries in other sports and build new rivalries too, and they cover a spread of countries comparable to Super Rugby and Pro14.

8 hours ago, kiwis 13 6 said:

It also unfair that semi pro sides from Towns and cities in the north of England are used as financial speed bumps by cashed up American sides in the Championship before gaining promotion. I am dreaming but definitely still within the bounds of possibility a North American Rugby league could be set up initially featuring Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, New York, Jacksonville, Utah.  

North American teams should enter straight into SL. Starting a pro rugby league comp in America won’t work, just look at Major League Rugby.

Having American teams in SL benefits both parties. A potential North American TV deal for SL and the novelty of transatlantic sport for American teams

IMO we will end up with 2 conferences, SL Europe and SL America

Well I clearly stated In my own post i was dreaming regarding a professional North American Spin off competition.

In the realms of the more realistic I want to see London, Bradford, West Cumbria United as well as Toulouse & Catalan both in Super League with P & R for french  sides between Super League side and French Elite One. 

1 hour ago, Mr Plow said:

North American teams should enter straight into SL. Starting a pro rugby league comp in America won’t work, just look at Major League Rugby.

Having American teams in SL benefits both parties. A potential North American TV deal for SL and the novelty of transatlantic sport for American teams

IMO we will end up with 2 conferences, SL Europe and SL America

How is major league rugby not working?

11 hours ago, Big Picture said:

Yes I bet those clubs have been devastated at having their games broadcast live on Sky and having all expenses paid trips to Canada. 

Obviously dreaming but I f I could pick the teams for a 16 team SL I’d go with;

Wigan, Saints, Wire, Salford

Leeds, Bradford, Cas, Hull,

York, Newcastle, Sheffield, possibly London

Toronto, Ottawa, Catalans, Another French Club

I say possibly London because with their current crowds I wouldn’t have the Broncos in it, but if there was a London team averaging 5k or more I’d have them straight in. Same with a team from Wales or the Midlands. I think Sheffield could average 5k if they had a sustained period in SL but if they couldn’t I wouldn’t have them in my list and would put a Cumbrian club in. 

The above would leave a strong second tier with the likes of Widnes, Leigh, Wakey, Hudds, Cumbrian teams, HKR and possibly more French and North American teams, maybe even Valencia and RSB. 

Archived