Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
JM2010

Which non heartland/traditional teams would you like to see in Super League?

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Any of them who win the Championship. 

I agree. So, who do you think would add most if and when they got promoted

Edited by JM2010

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Keith989 said:

How is major league rugby not working?

Have you seen the crowds they’re getting? Didn’t Saracens play a game in a half empty stadium in the US? Toronto are getting 7-8K for home games 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SL 4 SL


Sex and Money are like Oxygen

They're not important until you're not getting enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

Have you seen the crowds they’re getting? Didn’t Saracens play a game in a half empty stadium in the US? Toronto are getting 7-8K for home games 

Yeah and they are in their 3rd year with no signs of stopping, in fact the league is expanding again next year with 2 more teams. Getting a few more bums on seats isn't what makes a league sustainable, sure numerous American football leagues have vanished despite having healthy attendances.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Keith989 said:

Yeah and they are in their 3rd year with no signs of stopping, in fact the league is expanding again next year with 2 more teams. Getting a few more bums on seats isn't what makes a league sustainable, sure numerous American football leagues have vanished despite having healthy attendances.

But Toronto are not starting as part of a North American League. They’re starting in an established league

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Keith989 said:

Yeah and they are in their 3rd year with no signs of stopping, in fact the league is expanding again next year with 2 more teams. Getting a few more bums on seats isn't what makes a league sustainable, sure numerous American football leagues have vanished despite having healthy attendances.

MLR's franchise fee is ridiculously low (not even 1 million US$) and they're having to pay to get matches televised.  That's a minor league, not a major league.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

MLR's franchise fee is ridiculously low (not even 1 million US$) and they're having to pay to get matches televised.  That's a minor league, not a major league.

Very minor yes but it's a start. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

MLR's franchise fee is ridiculously low (not even 1 million US$) and they're having to pay to get matches televised.  That's a minor league, not a major league.

They’re hardly going to be rivalling the NFL in their first season are they. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Eddie said:

They’re hardly going to be rivalling the NFL in their first season are they. 

ROFL, they'll never even rival MLS, let alone the NFL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

ROFL, they'll never even rival MLS, let alone the NFL.

I know, I was being sarcastic about you seeming to think they’ve failed because they’re not playing in front of 50,000 crowds with a £1bn tv deal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

You can't do that, that is not the rules of this daft thread.

What are the rules then Harry?If you look at my original post I don't mention parachuting anybody in to SL. I just ask who would offer the most if they got there

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Themusician_2 said:

London and Newcastle. Those are major markets in England we need them

London have been going for 25 years and got less than 1,000 for a league game the other week. Unless something momentous happens to boost attendances Widnes would be a far better option, they’d get 7,000 in SL and Bradford would get even more. 

Edited by Eddie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Eddie said:

London have been going for 25 years and got less than 1,000 for a league game the other week. Widnes would be a far better option they’d get 7,000 in SL. 

In fact it's 39 years and their failure to make any headway in that market is likely due to not having any opponents which are a draw card for Londoners because they're perceived as being from small northern towns which don't rate in the big scheme of things, and most are from such towns.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Eddie said:

London have been going for 25 years and got less than 1,000 for a league game the other week. Unless something momentous happens to boost attendances Widnes would be a far better option, they’d get 7,000 in SL and Bradford would get even more. 

Cracking a sports market takes generations we need to build the market and the RL culture from the ground up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

RL in York was founded in the 1900's.  Heartlands enough for me.

I agree with you, Lowdesert.  In similar vein, I see the south of France as heartland, the game having been played there for over 80 years, and hence I see Toulouse Olympique XIII (founded 22nd October, 1937) as a heartland club.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

In fact it's 39 years and their failure to make any headway in that market is likely due to not having any opponents which are a draw card for Londoners because they're perceived as being from small northern towns which don't rate in the big scheme of things, and most are from such towns.

That's not really the case.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

In fact it's 39 years and their failure to make any headway in that market is likely due to not having any opponents which are a draw card for Londoners because they're perceived as being from small northern towns which don't rate in the big scheme of things, and most are from such towns.

What do you propose to do then, get rid of everyone in SL except Leeds and Toronto and put both London teams in along with Newcastle, Manchester Rangers, Sheffield Eagles and Birmingham Bulldogs? I expect you’d need the Broncos to move to Twickenham if that happened. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Add Toulouse and London to the current Super League line-up and you’ve got an oven-ready comp that isn’t only a Northern game for Northern people.

Newcastle Thunder? 

Tidy, acceptable venue 

Large potential catchment area 

Leading the way in commitment to player development outside of the heartlands, have both a reserves team & academy. 

Owner appears to be not short of a bob or two. 

Now Entering their 6th season of going about their business in League 1 with very few issues since their rebranding from Gateshead Thunder to Newcastle Thunder. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I completely agree that Widnes and Bradford would get decent attendances and may be competitive with the right finances. I also think they'd have a good youth system although these players would probably come through regardless but at Leeds, Huddersfield,  Warrington etc instead of Bradford and Widnes. 

Any club with money to sign players has the best chance to get promoted so this is obviously a big factor but they need to be underpinned with a strong youth system and local community clubs to sustain them long term.

London's problem was, although they produced some players, they struggled to attract big names from the North to help them challenge at the top of SL. Toronto seem to have the same problem so that's why I think having access to localish players is a big factor for success.

Teams such as Widnes, Bradford,  York etc have this advantage but also this can be counter productive as the bigger clubs will just swoop in and sign the better players.

Once a team gains promotion how do they become and remain competitive?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Themusician_2 said:

Cracking a sports market takes generations we need to build the market and the RL culture from the ground up.

You can't build it from the ground up, things don't work that way.  They work top-down, by top level pro teams being established in new markets and then inspiring boys and young men to want to play the sport and inspiring others to create the opportunities for them to do so.  Without such top level pro teams the necessary inspiration won't occur and without it the growth can't exist.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Smudger06 said:

Newcastle Thunder? 

Tidy, acceptable venue 

Large potential catchment area 

Leading the way in commitment to player development outside of the heartlands, have both a reserves team & academy. 

Owner appears to be not short of a bob or two. 

Now Entering their 6th season of going about their business in League 1 with very few issues since their rebranding from Gateshead Thunder to Newcastle Thunder. 

Not ready yet. If you dropped them in now you’d do more harm than good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Big Picture said:

You can't build it from the ground up, things don't work that way.  They work top-down, by top level pro teams being established in new markets and then inspiring boys and young men to want to play the sport and inspiring others to create the opportunities for them to do so.  Without such top level pro teams the necessary inspiration won't occur and without it the growth can't exist.

What’s happening in Newcastle then, and London? Not to mention Manchester, Devon and Oxfordshire?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Eddie said:

What do you propose to do then, get rid of everyone in SL except Leeds and Toronto and put both London teams in along with Newcastle, Manchester Rangers, Sheffield Eagles and Birmingham Bulldogs? I expect you’d need the Broncos to move to Twickenham if that happened. 

BP has been peddling this nonsense for ages now , that's why I have him on ignore , it cleans up the threads immensly 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...