Leeds Academy Hooker retires

1 hour ago, DoubleD said:

https://www.therhinos.co.uk/2020/03/02/rhinos-announce-johnson-set-to-retire-with-immediate-effect/

This was a surprise, sad to hear because he was a great prospect, played well in the England Academy games vs Australia last year and looked a good prospect for the game. I wonder why he’s walked away from the game 

Snapped up by a hedge fund?

2 hours ago, DoubleD said:

https://www.therhinos.co.uk/2020/03/02/rhinos-announce-johnson-set-to-retire-with-immediate-effect/

This was a surprise, sad to hear because he was a great prospect, played well in the England Academy games vs Australia last year and looked a good prospect for the game. I wonder why he’s walked away from the game 

Strange one for me that one

24 minutes ago, terrywebbisgod said:

He's retired from the pro game but rumour has it he's signed for a YML  club.

Even more bizarre. He was on the verge of the first team so seems strange move to make. Must be some personal issues but hopefully he can have some time out to reflect. I’d hate to see him throw it away but he must do what’s right for him

Wants to pursue a career outside rugby but needs support?  Strange.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

100% has got a job with better pay. Don't blame him at all our game pays academy players a tenth of a pittance.

Well it seems strange. The announcement hides more than it says.

When we are told that Thompson's father is a multi millionaire and he clearly was happy to put up with the evolution from an academy... well why not defer work prospects even if good?  Good luck to this young man, but he is only 19 ... just what work prospect are there when one day he might represent his country?

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

100% has got a job with better pay. Don't blame him at all our game pays academy players a tenth of a pittance.

I don't think that's the case. More likely he wants to live a little when young............Leeds statement talked about leaving the door open for him to come back if he rediscovers his love for the game. 

He looked a very good prospect, so i hope he's not lost to the game

11 minutes ago, Hughsehhh said:

Crazy and a shame in equal measure. In theory he should be at his most motivated now more than any point in his career; just made his debut, in the first team squad for the first time, recent junior international

I think we as fans maybe underestimate the sacrifice these 18/19 year olds have to make to make it in the game. Some are willing to do it for a chance (remember success is by far guaranteed) and some aren't willing to make that sacrifice, it is a shame but if RL isn't a game you can play if you aren't fully committed so he's probably done the right thing, he may regret it later down the line but them again he may have regretted playing RL as a career.

2 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

Well it seems strange. The announcement hides more than it says.

When we are told that Thompson's father is a multi millionaire and he clearly was happy to put up with the evolution from an academy... well why not defer work prospects even if good?  Good luck to this young man, but he is only 19 ... just what work prospect are there when one day he might represent his country?

Sometimes work can't be deferred I guess. I don't know if he's at Uni either or has got a place at somewhere that would make playing at Leeds unviable due to travel

2 hours ago, DoubleD said:

I don't think that's the case. More likely he wants to live a little when young............Leeds statement talked about leaving the door open for him to come back if he rediscovers his love for the game. 

He looked a very good prospect, so i hope he's not lost to the game

Its same difference really, a lot of Student Loans are equivalent to or more than academy pay. 

I agree its a shame he's been lost.

2 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

I think we as fans maybe underestimate the sacrifice these 18/19 year olds have to make to make it in the game. Some are willing to do it for a chance (remember success is by far guaranteed) and some aren't willing to make that sacrifice, it is a shame but if RL isn't a game you can play if you aren't fully committed so he's probably done the right thing, he may regret it later down the line but them again he may have regretted playing RL as a career.

All fair points. Whatever his reason, it must be legitimate. As we don't know the reason, all we can do is speculate but it would be interesting to hear why

3 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Its same difference really, a lot of Student Loans are equivalent to or more than academy pay. 

I agree its a shame he's been lost.

I just don't think it's about money. Leeds would've convinced him to stay if that was the case, as they think a lot of him

3 hours ago, DoubleD said:

I just don't think it's about money. Leeds would've convinced him to stay if that was the case, as they think a lot of him

I thought the same. I lived with a lad at uni that had a very good career lined up in civil engineering and a good traineeship with a major firm in that industry, he did it for 6-9 months then packed it in to join the RAF. That’s what was his ambition, he achieved what he wanted at uni but then also wanted to achieve his ambitions in the Air Force, too. 

Archived