Newcastle Thunder vs Workington Town

Callum Linford 98

This is going to be a huge game so early in the season a win for us will be monumental over there on that plastic stuff. The confidence it would bring ect ect.. Is it a 4 pointer already ?? I think if we get our process right we've every chance. Early indication show a dry day so ?

6-19 Town 

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this is the quickest most mobile team we've had across the park for a while. They normally do us for pace so hopefully we can match them there. Our forwards have handled big packs so far so should be a close game..with Town winning of course.

17 minutes ago, homeandawayer said:

I think this is the quickest most mobile team we've had across the park for a while. They normally do us for pace so hopefully we can match them there. Our forwards have handled big packs so far so should be a close game..with Town winning of course.

Yeah watched their tries on twitter against Coventry and they seem to have scored by barrages up the middle in midfield or out wide 

Well I don’t predict us as a rule but it would be massive if we win here . They’ve mullered us to pieces the last couple of times we’ve been . They’re setup to play to their strengths on that track , which really takes some adjusting to , and have invested big to get promotion . I think them and Barra will be the stand outs and I just want to see more signs of consistent progress , be competitive as a start and don’t be out of it again by halftime . Then if you stay in it it’s game on . Big ask though for me  , every team looking to go anywhere will put a huge store on home comforts 

It’s a big step up again this week and at a stadium where we’ve certainly struggled. With the investment Newcastle have put in I don’t think it’s an option for them not to be promoted this year. As long as we continue to improve and play with the same desire and commitment as last week I’ll be happy. We certainly seem to have the fitness levels this year and with speed across the park I expect us to give them a close game and hopefully come out on top. 

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

Well I don’t predict us as a rule but it would be massive if we win here . They’ve mullered us to pieces the last couple of times we’ve been . They’re setup to play to their strengths on that track , which really takes some adjusting to , and have invested big to get promotion . I think them and Barra will be the stand outs and I just want to see more signs of consistent progress , be competitive as a start and don’t be out of it again by halftime . Then if you stay in it it’s game on . Big ask though for me  , every team looking to go anywhere will put a huge store on home comforts 

It might I say might be easier with the video sessions we've got now. Keighley attacked well but with the in depth analysis they hadn't a clue how to break the D

Can remember the same being said last year about Newcastle. That it's sh*t or bust for them. But they've re-built (again) and I think will win this league comfortably.

If we can get a good start and not find ourselves chasing the game like we have on our last few visits there. You never know. All we can ask for is for the same application as the previous two weeks. Then the result will be what the result will be.

My prediction; Thunder 24 - 20 Town.

5 hours ago, DavidM said:

They've invested in the academy but have they really spent on the current squad? Most seem to be locals. The Aussie they got from Coventry ripped us to bits last year but he's gone.

41 minutes ago, homeandawayer said:

They've invested in the academy but have they really spent on the current squad? Most seem to be locals. The Aussie they got from Coventry ripped us to bits last year but he's gone.

Fair bit , Ashley Gibson , Bob Beswick , Colton Roche , Kieran Gill , Adam Lawton , Mikey Wood played against us for Bradford , couple of loans . Mat Wright is back from Cowboys n Cronulla

19 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Fair bit , Ashley Gibson , Bob Beswick , Colton Roche , Kieran Gill , Adam Lawton , Mikey Wood played against us for Bradford , couple of loans . Mat Wright is back from Cowboys n Cronulla

Roche is suspended for the fixture. Hearing Gill will need to be assessed before the game too. Could be Matty Wright's 1st game back 

37 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Yeah but apart from that, what have they really got that will worry us?? ??

When the fixtures came out this was one I was writing off. Our last 2 performances have now got me feeling a bit more optomistic, but I would be happy just giving them a close game. Its always worrying playing on those plastic pitches with regards to injuries, I just hope we come out of it with a clean bill of health. Gutted I can't make it through. 

I maybe in a minority but I liked the bonus point system . It gave a reward for being competitive , and for staying in games to the end . It gave a fairer reflection on things . Why should a team who keep getting touched off be on the same points as WWales ? .We were a bit of an expert at it if I recall 

The bonus point was great, kept teams honest right up to the final whistle. I remember storming back against Leigh a few years ago for a bonus point, everyone was going nuts. ????

27 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I maybe in a minority but I liked the bonus point system . It gave a reward for being competitive , and for staying in games to the end . It gave a fairer reflection on things . Why should a team who keep getting touched off be on the same points as WWales ? .We were a bit of an expert at it if I recall 

Kept us up one year at the expense of Keighley and Doncaster I believe. 

6 minutes ago, Callum Linford 98 said:

Kept us up one year at the expense of Keighley and Doncaster I believe. 

Yeh 10 bonus points ! We had a losing record but only a -57 points difference , so it was a fairer reflection of your efforts 

15 hours ago, unicorn106 said:

The bonus point was great, kept teams honest right up to the final whistle. I remember storming back against Leigh a few years ago for a bonus point, everyone was going nuts. ????

Remember that match well . Leigh had the ball in our 20 right at the end , and can still see McNally screaming at his team mates to give him the ball so he could drop a goal and do us out of the bonus point , he went ballistic at the end......poor chap , he looked so disappointed .

Archived