Newcastle Thunder vs Workington Town

Callum Linford 98

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Left ourselves too much to do after going 18. - 0 down although came back brilliantly. Half time came at the wrong time really because we had them on the ropes big time. We never seemed to get the same fluency in second half but still created chances. Overall a good performance with some big performances notably for me from stevie, fitzy, o brien and Hanley Dawson who I thought was exceptional in the first half. Could easily have won it with a bit of luck. 

Very difficult after giving them an 18 point start , but in times past we’d have folded . I must say overall I find this an encouraging display . We’ve got to be realistic about where we are at this stage of our development . Newcastle have gone big to get promotion , whereas we are building with a lot of new lads who are giving their all for each other . If we make the play offs it’ll be a good season , but overall we’ve got a good group , a good coach , and we’re on an upward trajectory . I just wanted commitment,  competiveness and progression and I think we’re seeing it

One of the big factors in the defeat was the offloading from big Adam Lawton, he was quite a handful early on although one of his offloads was after he had been stopped and ball carrying arm had hit the deck, referee saw nothing wrong and a try resulted. And how Lewis young held Caine Barnes up after a 50 yard gallop I don’t know, I thought it was a try all day. But hey ho it’ll probably even itself out over a season. If we’d been able to convert all our line breaks those decisions wouldn’t matter but I’m sure it will come. Great all round effort. UTT

2 hours ago, IanMac said:

Left ourselves too much to do after going 18. - 0 down although came back brilliantly. Half time came at the wrong time really because we had them on the ropes big time. We never seemed to get the same fluency in second half but still created chances. Overall a good performance with some big performances notably for me from stevie, fitzy, o brien and Hanley Dawson who I thought was exceptional in the first half. Could easily have won it with a bit of luck. 

What you just said. What we do have is a bunch of lads who graft and a coach who wants them to play open rugby..that's going to pay dividends over the season. I can tell you he's a perfectionist cos we were pressing there line second half and MB put a grubber in and he went ballistic. They collected it went up field and scored. 

Ryan Wilson looks at home at that level ,Scholey was superb , Hall was targeted and took the bombs brilliantly apart from one and Wellington looked dangerous. It was a great game and with a better start it should've been a great win. 

Great performance .iEven in the first 20 min Thunder had 3 try scoring  attacks and got 3 trys  .  Town  looked the better team . Pulled it back to 18 all at halftime . 2nd half Cain breaks through touches down rounding the full back . Elliott Hall  was jumping up with excitement .when the Ref runs round and gives held up .Elliott  was just shaking his head at the ref in disbelief  .  Having said all that we have came away not disappointed at another great team performance . . Another decision I couldnt understand was Fui goes in for a try near the sticks after a passage of play . Only for the Ref to disallow it ,then give Town a penalty near the touchline .   

3 minutes ago, silverfox said:

Another decision I couldnt understand was Fui goes in for a try near the sticks after a passage of play . Only for the Ref to disallow it ,then give Town a penalty near the touchline .   

That was weird, they weren’t square at play the ball but he waved play on was going to award the try then gave the penalty. Whatever happened to playing the advantage.

7 minutes ago, IanMac said:

That was weird, they weren’t square at play the ball but he waved play on was going to award the try then gave the penalty. Whatever happened to playing the advantage.

I think he gave a pen but there was a forward pass so he couldn't give the try.

I've just watched the second half of the Bulls v Sheffield and they were poor. It's still a very tall order.

Just now, homeandawayer said:

I think he gave a pen but there was a forward pass so he couldn't give the try.

My eyes never are good at seeing town forward passes. Lol

Archived