Have you seen the England Squad?

12 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Hastings and Widdop were very poor on the GB tour, so were others you will say, but these two guys were in there to call the shots and lead the team around on the offensive, Widdop is most definatley not in there on his current form - he is in all probability not even warrenting a spot in the Wire team - and Mr Wane may just see in Hastings that he is like a lit of others who play well at domestic level but can't hack it at the top level against the best. Also not surprised tgere is no place for Austen either.

You want to write Hastings off after a couple of games? 

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't help but think the UK game is pretty light on quality in edge forwards.  Farrell, Hughes and Josh Jones are all good Super League players and Ben Currie is quality but has stuttered through injury.

With the likes of Boyd Cordner, David Fifita and Tyson Frizell (for example) coming over for the Kangaroos I think we need a fit and on form Bateman and Whitehead. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

We aren’t blessed with loose forwards and Wane has selected seven/eight centres in the squad - Percival, Watkins, Gildart, Sarginson, Griffin, Lyne, Newman and Hardaker - so I’d have Smithies in for one of them. Either Lyne or Sarginson.

With all those centre's do you not see the Hardacre selection as a full back? He is never a centre as long as he has a hole where the sun doesn't shine, but that wasn't the question MoK, you implied Smithies should be in the team "absolute machine get him ready for the WC" how else other than performing would he ready for the WC,  so again which forwards would you leave out for his inclusion in the team?

I'm pretty sure Wane would have had Man of Steel and half back for the current league leaders Hastings in the squad if he was intending to use him. The absence of Hastings and Austin is surely a statement of selection policy rather than form.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

8 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I think we need a fit and on form Bateman and Whitehead. 

100%. Currie the next cab if he’s fit n on form , the rest won’t worry the Aussies for a second 

6 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I'm pretty sure Wane would have had Man of Steel and half back for the current league leaders Hastings in the squad if he was intending to use him. The absence of Hastings and Austin is surely a statement of selection policy rather than form.

How dare you?

Just now, Harry Stottle said:

With all those centre's do you not see the Hardacre selection as a full back? He is never a centre as long as he has a hole where the sun doesn't shine, but that wasn't the question MoK, you implied Smithies should be in the team "absolute machine get him ready for the WC" how else other than performing would he ready for the WC,  so again which forwards would you leave out for his inclusion in the team?

I’d have Tomkins at FB as he’s got the all-court game Hardaker lacks. Besides, the league leaders are playing him at centre so I suspect your judgment is off.

As for Smithies, I’d have him in for Hill, who’s in decline and won’t be cutting the mustard come November 2021. Ditto James Graham. I’d have George Burgess.

There’s two too many centres who won’t be anywhere near the 17 come the autumn, so don’t see why Smithies shouldn’t be in there instead of a centre.

13 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Can't help but think the UK game is pretty light on quality in edge forwards.  Farrell, Hughes and Josh Jones are all good Super League players and Ben Currie is quality but has stuttered through injury.

With the likes of Boyd Cordner, David Fifita and Tyson Frizell (for example) coming over for the Kangaroos I think we need a fit and on form Bateman and Whitehead. 

Agreed. The strength in depth just isn't there, in fact it's scarily absent. Farrell would do a solid job if called upon, the other two would be exposed 

11 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

No 4 games, I watched him first hand not on the tellly, he was pants.

Again, you want to write him off after 320 minutes of Rugby despite him being influential at club level last year and starting this year, at a new club, like a house on fire?

4 minutes ago, Hughsehhh said:

Agreed. The strength in depth just isn't there, in fact it's scarily absent. Farrell would do a solid job if called upon, the other two would be exposed 

The worrying thing is that I can't think of a top quality young edge forward coming through. All our young guns are middle forwards. 

Maybe I am missing someone.

6 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

I’d have Tomkins at FB as he’s got the all-court game Hardaker lacks. Besides, the league leaders are playing him at centre so I suspect your judgment is off.

As for Smithies, I’d have him in for Hill, who’s in decline and won’t be cutting the mustard come November 2021. Ditto James Graham. I’d have George Burgess.

There’s two too many centres who won’t be anywhere near the 17 come the autumn, so don’t see why Smithies shouldn’t be in there instead of a centre.

If we play Hardaker at centre in the Ashes we may as well just give the series to Aus now. He's woeful at centre, I can't recall seeing him ever have a good game there.

9 minutes ago, Click said:

If we play Hardaker at centre in the Ashes we may as well just give the series to Aus now. He's woeful at centre, I can't recall seeing him ever have a good game there.

Wigan play him at centre. I’m not saying he will or should play for England there.

We’ve seen enough from Hardaker to know he’s a good but not great player. Limited. Passing game isn’t there. He’s in the squad to cover FB and centre, Id imagine.

11 minutes ago, Click said:

I'd rather have Hughes or Bateman in the centre, Hardaker is a terrible centre.

We need to be free of injuries and have no weak areas as , although there’s no average kangaroo side , I think this incarnation  is gonna be  particularly strong . I’m looking forward to it 

28 minutes ago, DavidM said:

100%. Currie the next cab if he’s fit n on form , the rest won’t worry the Aussies for a second 

tbh, whilst wire have been garbage for the main this year, currie has shown signs that he's getting back to normal, last season i reckon he was just pleased to be on the pitch and get his confidence back, this year he's been running like his old self, if we were doing better in the middle of the field it would have paid off a lot more.

22 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

C'mon MoK you are tring to swop Smithies for a prop in the team he is clearly a second row, also centre's wont be playing second row, and Smithies will not be playing centre, that sorted,  which second row/back row forward would you put him ahead of from the squad, and in the team to face the Aussies?

Just now, Harry Stottle said:

C'mon MoK you are tring to swop Smithies for a prop in the team he is clearly a second row, also centre's wont be playing second row, and Smithies will not be playing centre, that sorted,  which second row/back row forward would you put him ahead of from the squad, and in the team to face the Aussies?

You’re boring me now, Harold. I’ve given you my selections and reasoning.

Who would be your first choice and second choice 13s from Wane’s 31-man squad?

3 minutes ago, DavidM said:

We need to be free of injuries and have no weak areas as , although there’s no average kangaroo side , I think this incarnation  is gonna be a particularly strong . I’m looking forward to it 

Would we beat this team?

1. James Tedesco

2. Josh Addo-Carr

3. Tom Trbojevic

4. Lattrell Mitchell

5. Nick Cotric

6. Luke Keary

7. Daly Cherry-Evans 

8. David Klemmer

9. Damien Cook

10. Payne Haas

11. Boyd Cordner 

12. David Fafita

13. Tom Trbojevic

14. Tyson Frizell

15. Cameron Munster

16. FeliseKaufusi

17. Jai Arrow

4 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Is that out of desperation? we don't need any forward playing centre, I honestly gave you more credit than coming up with a statement like that Dunbar.

It was an exaggeration to demonstrate how poor I think Hardaker is in the centre (although not much of one).

There are plenty of players I would have in the centre before Hardaker, Hughes or Bateman. 

10 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Would we beat this team?

1. James Tedesco

2. Josh Addo-Carr

3. Tom Trbojevic

4. Lattrell Mitchell

5. Nick Cotric

6. Luke Keary

7. Daly Cherry-Evans 

8. David Klemmer

9. Damien Cook

10. Payne Haas

11. Boyd Cordner 

12. David Fafita

13. Tom Trbojevic

14. Tyson Frizell

15. Cameron Munster

16. FeliseKaufusi

17. Jai Arrow

Would anyone ?! I was thinking Val Holmes coming back could push Cotric to . Josh Papali’i will be in there to , and there’s Wighton ... and Ponga ...Moses etc

Archived