Have you seen the England Squad?

What’s important is that Wane will have a proper balance and will expect absolute commitment. There will be a few that drop out and few that come in later but generally he’ll get to right. Will he care about what anyone thinks - not for a minute. 
He will build a team and a system rather than a group of individuals. 

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Big Ask said:

What’s important is that Wane will have a proper balance and will expect absolute commitment. There will be a few that drop out and few that come in later but generally he’ll get to right. Will he care about what anyone thinks - not for a minute. 
He will build a team and a system rather than a group of individuals. 

Exactly. The fact there is no consensus on who's missing and who's in but shouldn't be means he's got it about right.

I'm surprised about Connor and Hastings missing out that's Hill's still in and that Sutton's made the cut. I'm a little disappointed about Trueman and Smithies. But none of these are a wrong call - just different to how I would have it.

People called Romans they go the house

Should this not be on BBC website ? We should endevour to get ourselves in the news wherever we can ; we seem only happy to publish this type of news to ourselvex which does nothing for the promotion of the England brand or our international game.

20 minutes ago, iangidds said:

Should this not be on BBC website ? We should endevour to get ourselves in the news wherever we can ; we seem only happy to publish this type of news to ourselvex which does nothing for the promotion of the England brand or our international game.

I had to have a look on the BBC website to check if it was there or not - I am actually quite surprised it isn't, they usually cover stories that they can just C+P onto their website,

RFL need to sort themselves out if they haven't been in contact with BBC to get the story on there - The first idea of what the squad could be made up of for the Ashes tests this year, it should be something that is in the public domain, rather than just on RL channels.

4 minutes ago, Click said:

I had to have a look on the BBC website to check if it was there or not - I am actually quite surprised it isn't, they usually cover stories that they can just C+P onto their website,

RFL need to sort themselves out if they haven't been in contact with BBC to get the story on there - The first idea of what the squad could be made up of for the Ashes tests this year, it should be something that is in the public domain, rather than just on RL channels.

Simple easy win

9 minutes ago, Click said:

They really should be getting fed announcements, squads, plans etc etc etc by the RFL and SL.  If we are expecting the BBC, or any other media, to make an effort to cover our game we will be disappointed.

1 hour ago, iangidds said:

It will probably be on the UKIP and Britain First websites, I’m sure they will be delighted with our new selection policy. 

4 hours ago, LR23 said:

He isn't English, has never played for England, doesn't have a British passport, citizenship or even a permanent right to reside. These would be nothing illegal about excluding him and definately nothing illegal about not picking him. Various sports exclude their own nationals who simply play overseas and nobody has successfully sued them (as far as I know).

I still think he should be in though, but he has to be played a certain way - having him cover one side and having him reign in his natural game like Bennett did would be a waste of time.

Has anybody tried yet? I honestly believe it’s only a matter of time, yes it could be difficult to prove, but it’s still discrimination.

If Wane coaches the side for say 5 years and picks no players born outside England in that time, I think it’d be fairly easy to prove he has discriminated against a group, non English born players, but hard to prove it for an individual. 

On 03/03/2020 at 12:46, Man of Kent said:

No Hastings or Austin. Maybe they won’t be sticking around in England in the longer term?

Glad about Tomkins, Josh Griffin, Farrell, Newman, Johnstone and Manfredi.

Slightly disappointed that Wane has stuck with some of the old guard like Chris Hill and not picked Morgan Smithies.

Interesting to see Sarginson back!

Still no George Burgess? Another surprise.

Widdop hasn’t earned a place on current form but would still be surprised if he’s not involved in the Ashes.

Yes, some odd inclusions and odd exclusions.  Hard to judge the NRL players as they have not started playing yet!

I think we need to pause and just call this a starter for 10.

6 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

I would agree if the Australian fossil had been retained, but now he is history along with his completion rate rugby and hopefully his fellow countrymen.

Let the Resurgence begin.

If England drop the ball and give away penalties we will be toast without the marmalade. 

5 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I am convinced that Wane is going to instill an attitude of England vs. the traditional enemy in the English camp. Yes, he will have a game plan that he expects his team to execute but I also expect him to send the team out 100% motivated and fired up to play and fight for each other.

I also suspect that this is why he doesn't want any Australian accents in the camp.

Can't agree with that.  International teams (of all types) are litered with teams with overseas players.   

6 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I am convinced that Wane is going to instill an attitude of England vs. the traditional enemy in the English camp. Yes, he will have a game plan that he expects his team to execute but I also expect him to send the team out 100% motivated and fired up to play and fight for each other.

I also suspect that this is why he doesn't want any Australian accents in the camp.

Wane probably had a hand in getting Sam Burgess to retire then - Did you hear his accent when he was over here?! His family would be ashamed.

29 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

Can't agree with that.  International teams (of all types) are litered with teams with overseas players.   

Unless Wane changes his mind, England Rugby League won't be.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Has anybody tried yet? I honestly believe it’s only a matter of time, yes it could be difficult to prove, but it’s still discrimination.

If Wane coaches the side for say 5 years and picks no players born outside England in that time, I think it’d be fairly easy to prove he has discriminated against a group, non English born players, but hard to prove it for an individual. 

There are limits to claiming discrimination - claiming it because you've not been picked for the national side when you are not a national of that country is way beyond those limits. Even if Wane announced that he wasn't considering these players because they were not nationals of England then they still wouldn't have a case IMO.

1 hour ago, Rupert Prince said:

Opinions Princey, some agree with it others don't, I don't watch union but my son sent me a link from the recent World Cup of the Japanese team, about 7 player's 6'-8" Caucasians what's all that about, laughable.

52 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I don't watch union

Oh I do, if the  recordings I have of the Epilogue are on the blink.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

7 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Get a picture of the old test card, the one with the little girl and clown and sellotape it over the TV screen, it will be a better watch and probably more action.

And I do have the xmas fire side flames version, and the potters wheel gif.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

11 hours ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Haha I'm going to presume you're being sarcastic their Allora - and to an extent I agree the Aussies won't be worried by that side. But I do think it's interesting to look at who could get in who's squad, so i've had a little play aroun (using the squad Dunbar put together which I reckon is pretty accurate) and marked in bold who I'd pick for each position. 

1. Tedesco          Tomkins

2. Addo-Carr       McGilvery

3. T Trbojevic     Watkins

4. Mitchell           Percival

5. Cotric              Makinson

6. Keary              Williams

7. Cherry-Evans Gale

8. Klemmer       Walmsley

9. Cook              Roby

10. Haas.           Thompson

11. Cordner       Currie

12. Fifita           Whitehead

13. J Trbojevic Bateman

14. Frizell          Watts

15. Munster     Lomax

16. Kaufusi      Philbin

17. Arrow        T Burgess

Ok so Williams over Keary and Whitehead over young Fifita might seem a stretch but I'm comfortable the rest are genuinely the best in the role they'd be asked to play. It's like I always say. England can put together 13/17 that will be competitive with Aus - we know that. The difference is I could write out 3 lists of Aussie players that would compete with England whereas the opposite is definitely not true. 

Are you serious?

George Williams over Luke Keary is a joke. Luke Keary was the Clive Churchill winner in the 2018 NRL Grand Final, and Man of the Match in the 2020 WCC against St Helens; George Williams isn't fit to tie Keary's shoelaces.

Ditto the capable Elliot Whitehead over young sensation David Fifita. Whitehead is very good but Fifita is the next young Sonny Bill Williams.

Johnny Lomax is very good, but Cameron Munster is better.

Most people would regard Nikola Cotric as at least equal to Tommy Makinson, if not better.

1 minute ago, Manfred Mann said:

Are you serious?

George Williams over Luke Keary is a joke.

Ditto the capable Elliot Whitehead over young sensation David Fifita.

I'm glad you recognised the two that I said might be a stretch - but not completely out of the question.  Young Fifita certainly looks the real deal but aside from one good season it's too early to say what he might go on to achieve. Elliott Whitehead on the other hand has proved himself at SL, NRL and internationally to be a quality player year in year out and I think that's what made this more of a tighter decision. Williams, whilst not yet playing NRL, is a quality player who has walked straight into last year's Raiders grand final team. Played for England 10 times and at 25 will only get better for playing in a better comp week in week out. I like Keary but let's not forget he was a bit part player at the bunnies and for the past 2 years at the Roosters got to play off the back of Cooper Cronk - very interested to see how he goes this year with Kyle Flanagan. I know there's been a couple of factors to why he's not made Origin so far but at 28 and with only 2 Aus caps he's hardly proven at the top end of the game. 

Like I said I may be stretching, but not ridiculous. 

15 hours ago, Allora said:

I disagree with many of those but that is what Forums like this are about.

They're also for discussing those disagreements...

I'd have Hodgson instead of Roby - especially if picking a Canberra edge of Williams and Whitehead with Bateman in middle as well. Really looking forward to seeing Williams this year. Also, Cook was above average only for a large part of the year. Needs a big season to be continued to be talked about the way he is.

I would have Munster above Keary. Munster is the best 6 around and plays with his SoO 7.

Aus 17 is missing Papali and Murray and possibly Graham. Fifita is just a young lad, see how he goes. Be surprised if Frizell plays.

2 Aussie centres that will play full back all year is interesting. I don't disagree, but shows that they're not as depthy as they once were. Wonder if Holmes will get back to his best..

England... havent got a clue as i dont watch SL. If we can work out the halves then we have a fantastic shot both in the Ashes and next year.

Cannot wait.

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

On 04/03/2020 at 15:43, Dunbar said:

Unless Wane changes his mind, England Rugby League won't be.

If an English qualified Aussie born player wins man of steel tben he might. Of course that does not mean be might get in the team.

On 04/03/2020 at 15:40, Click said:

Wane probably had a hand in getting Sam Burgess to retire then - Did you hear his accent when he was over here?! His family would be ashamed.

Danes must be ashamed of Jan Molby then!

Archived