Have you seen the England Squad?

5 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Would anyone ?! I was thinking Val Holmes coming back could push Cotric to . Josh Papali’i will be in there to , and there’s Wighton ... and Ponga ...etc

Indeed... shows the quality when players like Holmes, Papalli and Wighton are either left out or pushing some of the players I mentioned out of the 17 though!

Still can't wait for the Ashes.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

Indeed... shows the quality when players like Holmes, Papalli and Wighton are either left out or pushing some of the players I mentioned out of the 17 though!

Still can't wait for the Ashes.

It’s gonna be one to see and no mistake 

7 minutes ago, DavidM said:

It’s gonna be one to see and no mistake 

I hadn't got round to buying my tickets for Tottenham... this chat has reminded me and I now have them.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

23 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

It was an exaggeration to demonstrate how poor I think Hardaker is in the centre (although not much of one).

There are plenty of players I would have in the centre before Hardaker, Hughes or Bateman. 

OK fair comment, just checking though that you hadn't lost it?

Full Back will probably be Tomkins who looked back to his best at the end of last season and in the 9s.

If not Tomkins then I’d like to see Evalds or Shaul get a go but Evalds has stolen a march on Shaul in the last season or so.

Wings will almost certainly be McGilvery and Makinson but Johnstone must be pressing very hard for selection. Manfredi still has a lot to do to catch these three!

Centres, I have a feeling we’ll see the reemergence of Kallum Watkins this year, so much so that he’ll be the first centre in the team.

Id love to see Percival get it together and combine all his talents into a string of complete performances that demand his selection.

If not Percival then maybe Griffin will offer a decent compromise between size, power and skills, however Wanes familiarity with Sarginson might get him the nod.

Halfs will probably be Williams (dependent on how he settles) and Gale who looks like he’s ready to have a big season at Leeds. If not Williams then I expect either Lomax or Tomkins to partner Gale.

At Prop Id go with Walmsley and Thompson to start, I see no reason to break up their partnership which works so well at Sts. Then off the bench I’d go with Watts and T Burgess with Graham still being a possibility but he looked a shadow of his former self last year.

Hookers would be Roby with Clarke off the bench! Never seen the quality others see in Hodgeson in fact I think he stifles the half backs with slow and selfish plays from DH.

2nd Rowers would probably be Whitehead and Bateman but they didn’t inspire on the GB tour either. The doors slightly open for Currie, Philbin, Farrell etc..

Loose Forward is a strange one, it depends what you want from that position. If you’re looking for an extra middle then maybe Sutton or Taylor. If you want a footballing back rower then our options are very limited. Possibly could go for Bateman in a roving role with one of the other second rowers (Currie) filling in the back row.

Theres time for someone to emerge during the season and I wouldn’t rule out Cameron Smith from Leeds raising his game and throwing his name into contention. He’s as big as most front rowers but has a lot of footballing and distribution ability, he could step up if he wants it enough.

1. Tomkins
  2. McGilvery
  3. Watkins
  4. Percival
  5. Makinson
  6. Williams
  7. Gale
  8. Walmsley
  9. Roby
  10. Thompson
  11. Whitehead
  12. Currie
  13. Bateman
  14. Lomax
  15. Philbin
  16. Watts
  17. T Burgess

I am happy that Wane has not picked Austin and Hastings. From what I have seen, Sam Tomkins seems to have got his running game back. If so, he is our best full back. My dream back line would be (running) Sam T - Manfredi - Gildart - Percival - Johnstone - Widdop - Lomax... 

In the pack, Watts Clark Thompson Bateman Currie Whitehead would shake it up. 

Smithies is years off, but has a certain Batemanesque quality about him. He will make the most of his talent, and play for his country plenty of times. 

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

He’s obviously giving Widdop a wake up call , if he’s producing he’ll be in . I’m not surprised Wane broke with Bennett and didn’t pick Austin or Hastings . He’s sending a message there . Personally I don’t know how Reece Lyne gets in all these squads , or the Sarge . Gildart Griffin Newman Percival are handy centre options with Watkins there to . Overall we look pretty strong if we get there fit n healthy 

You obviously don't see much of Reece Lyne goes about doing good things makes yards solid in defence and capass a ball ala Salford on Sunday.

8 minutes ago, OMEGA said:

Full Back will probably be Tomkins who looked back to his best at the end of last season and in the 9s.

If not Tomkins then I’d like to see Evalds or Shaul get a go but Evalds has stolen a march on Shaul in the last season or so.

Wings will almost certainly be McGilvery and Makinson but Johnstone must be pressing very hard for selection. Manfredi still has a lot to do to catch these three!

Centres, I have a feeling we’ll see the reemergence of Kallum Watkins this year, so much so that he’ll be the first centre in the team.

Id love to see Percival get it together and combine all his talents into a string of complete performances that demand his selection.

If not Percival then maybe Griffin will offer a decent compromise between size, power and skills, however Wanes familiarity with Sarginson might get him the nod.

Halfs will probably be Williams (dependent on how he settles) and Gale who looks like he’s ready to have a big season at Leeds. If not Williams then I expect either Lomax or Tomkins to partner Gale.

At Prop Id go with Walmsley and Thompson to start, I see no reason to break up their partnership which works so well at Sts. Then off the bench I’d go with Watts and T Burgess with Graham still being a possibility but he looked a shadow of his former self last year.

Hookers would be Roby with Clarke off the bench! Never seen the quality others see in Hodgeson in fact I think he stifles the half backs with slow and selfish plays from DH.

2nd Rowers would probably be Whitehead and Bateman but they didn’t inspire on the GB tour either. The doors slightly open for Currie, Philbin, Farrell etc..

Loose Forward is a strange one, it depends what you want from that position. If you’re looking for an extra middle then maybe Sutton or Taylor. If you want a footballing back rower then our options are very limited. Possibly could go for Bateman in a roving role with one of the other second rowers (Currie) filling in the back row.

Theres time for someone to emerge during the season and I wouldn’t rule out Cameron Smith from Leeds raising his game and throwing his name into contention. He’s as big as most front rowers but has a lot of footballing and distribution ability, he could step up if he wants it enough.

1. Tomkins
  2. McGilvery
  3. Watkins
  4. Percival
  5. Makinson
  6. Williams
  7. Gale
  8. Walmsley
  9. Roby
  10. Thompson
  11. Whitehead
  12. Currie
  13. Bateman
  14. Lomax
  15. Philbin
  16. Watts
  17. T Burgess

I agree with most of that. Only change for me is to put Thompson at 13 as he is mobile with a good engine and we have a decent rotation in the front row (and Bateman back to the edge). This gives us more size and punch in the middle.

I think I would also have Johnstone over McGilvary at this stage.

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

I agree with most of that. Only change for me is to put Thompson at 13 as he is mobile with a good engine and we have a decent rotation in the front row (and Bateman back to the edge). This gives us more size and punch in the middle.

I think I would also have Johnstone over McGilvary at this stage.

Yep, I wouldn’t argue with that!

It seems Mr. Stottle has taken it upon himself to derail proper discussion about the squad chosen by majoring his debate on a player who hasn’t even been selected.

There are a number of players in that squad that have no right being anywhere near it, Chris Hill for one, and Roby for another. Hill is shot, and Roby is nowhere near the player he was even two years ago. James Graham can also count himself very lucky still to be involved. He’s been  a superb player, but his time is done.

Also, considering all the bile spouted when “Australian” players have been selected in recent years, it is comical to read the disbelief regarding their exclusion this time.

A non selection of Joe Greenwood, shows how far backwards he has gone since his edge days at st Helens. What has happened to his career?

Jake Connor, still wonder what his best position is, but he went very well in the new Zealand series at home, only 18 months ago, a big robust back with good skills, surely he should be around a 31 man squad?

9 minutes ago, usain bolt said:

A non selection of Joe Greenwood, shows how far backwards he has gone since his edge days at st Helens. What has happened to his career?

Jake Connor, still wonder what his best position is, but he went very well in the new Zealand series at home, only 18 months ago, a big robust back with good skills, surely he should be around a 31 man squad?

At his age to be loaned out from Wigan to Leeds isn't a very good sign, but it could jump start his career, potentially.

2 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I'm pretty sure Wane would have had Man of Steel and half back for the current league leaders Hastings in the squad if he was intending to use him. The absence of Hastings and Austin is surely a statement of selection policy rather than form.

What policy? That he won’t pick the best players? 

I wont be attending any Ashes games with that squad, outrageous Hastings has been dropped. 

Just now, Click said:

At his age to be loaned out from Wigan to Leeds isn't a very good sign, but it could jump start his career, potentially.

Gonna be interesting where he fits in at Leeds, on an edge or through the middle. Martin looks the goods, and Mellor has started well too, Cameron Smith has also started well, although Stevie ward is injured again, maybe covering his position.

Time will tell, but with his early start to his career, there looked plenty of promise, hopefully he kicks on.

4 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

I wont be attending any Ashes games with that squad, outrageous Hastings has been dropped. 

Who do realise that it is just a meet up, and this isn't the team that will be playing in the Ashes in 7 months?

I would have cut Hill and Graham now, move onto the youth now. If either of them finish in their dream teamaybe bring them back, but it's time to move on. 

I'm OK with many of the selections, there seems to be a lot of love for Currie, for me this year is make or break. If he gets back to it he could be a star in the Ashes, or he could become an average SL player, which is probably what he has been for a while now due to injuries. It'll be a real shame if we don't see him reach his potential. 

16 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Obviously there is no official policy but with neither Hastings or Austin selected in a 31 man train on squad or even the Knights it is pretty clear that Wane has decided not to do down that route. He may change his mind of course.

As for not attending. That's your prerogative but personally I have never boycotted an England or Great Britain game because I disagree with the coach's selection.

2 hours ago, usain bolt said:

Yeh must admit that’s a very strange one . He’s showed up well given a chance , and offers ultility value at a high level as well

3 hours ago, OMEGA said:
  • Tomkins
  • McGilvery
  • Watkins
  • Percival
  • Makinson
  • Williams
  • Gale
  • Walmsley
  • Roby
  • Thompson
  • Whitehead
  • Currie
  • Bateman
  • Lomax
  • Philbin
  • Watts
  • T Burgess

Personally I’m to be convinced by Watkins, he needs to show up strongly this year to warrant a spot . As of now I’d pick Griffin or Connor there . I think JMc is under pressure from Johnstone and Manfredi , which is no bad thing . Tommy is a shoo-in. I still wouldn’t be surprised if it was  Williams and Widdop , although Gale on top form is a strong option. I think Wane will pick Samkins , he obviously knows himand has big raps on him . Roby /Hodgson is interesting , I think Wane will pick Roby and Hodgson will be battling Lomax for the bench . Bateman and Whitehead will play second row 100% . I’d have Currie on the bench to cover out wide , not Philbin. Tom Burgess and Watts on the bench , although a strong season from George gives him a shout 

If every player is fit and playing well then I would go with.

1. Tomkins

2. Johnstone

3. Gildart

4. Percival

5. Makinson

6. Lomax

7. Gale

8. Burgess

9. McShane

10. Walmsley 

11. Bateman

12. Whitehead 

13. Thompson

14. Watts

15. Clark

16. Currie

17. Lees 

I thought long and hard about leaving out Roby but I think McShane s at the top of his game and is playing better in the Super League than Josh Hodgson ever did and he is quality creative 9 and a perfect foil for Clark off the bench (and McShane can cover the halves in an emergency as Australia do with Ben Hunt so we can have four forwards on the bench).

Tomkins is our most rounded full back and is a dangerous runner and a creative ball player. And he is approaching his best.

The end has come for Graham and Hill and we need a much more energetic and mobile middle unit and we get that with Thompson at 13 and Watts and Lees on the bench.

The backline is picked exclusively for their attacking threat, we will not defend our way to victory against Australia.

Archived