New signing

Batley Bob

Suppose it will strengthen our Academy side, best of luck to both of them hope they will prove to be good signings. Hopefully they will have more speed than some of our players (Should not be difficult).

1950s Gallant Youth, 2000 Bulldog

Smacks of preparing for life in championship one to me...... 

Why have we signed these players just to let them play in Leeds Rhinos reserve team?......... Dont we need players who will improve the already weak looking squad? Or am i missing something here? 

"you never win a game unless you beat the guy in front of you. The score on the board doesn’t mean a thing. That’s for the fans. You’ve got to win the war with the man in front of you. You’ve got to get your man." - Vince Lombardi.

Suppose we can't complain. Horn, Flynn and Bowring will have blown the budget. 

On a serious note, was no-one remotely alarmed by us signing the three above players; all of whom were released by Championship 1 clubs at the end of last season? 

Really struggling to understand the logic of our recruitment policy. I really feel that Lingard could be reasonably successful if fully backed. 

2 hours ago, ernieone said:

We seem to think if we sign one star, Joufret last year, Lunt this year that we will be able to compete in the Championship.

Sorry but it does not work.

Correct 

Batley haven’t strengthened since 2016 properly in my eyes have been left behind by a number of clubs which finished below us at the time... we seem to slowly falling behind year on year... 

the players we have signed now won’t make the grade because the standard of competition is getting better and we are been left behind 

Every player on the books had to start as an unknown youngster.  Why cant these develop into useful/good players?  Perhaps in the beginning youthful enthusiasm will carry them through their lack of experience?  And who knows, perhaps this enthusiasm may rub off onto others and make them raise their game a little bit?

On 05/03/2020 at 01:21, Keep The Faith said:

Correct 

Batley haven’t strengthened since 2016 properly in my eyes have been left behind by a number of clubs which finished below us at the time... we seem to slowly falling behind year on year... 

the players we have signed now won’t make the grade because the standard of competition is getting better and we are been left behind 

I m not so sure about not strengthened ktf, I'd honestly back our pack against any team in the league, the pack has been awesome so far this season and probably the best I've seen as unit for us. I honestly thought we even held our own against a much lauded Hull pack. The problem, yet again, is defending down the centre channels.

For the last couple of years we have had at least one halfback in the 17 that simply can/could not defend, they haven't been either big or strong enough to stop players one on one.

Compounding the problem, we have had centres defending inside them who are defensively weak too. This has created a huge 2 man channel where teams have been able to simply walk through at will. Without looking at the stats, I'd wager 80%+ of the tries we have conceded over the last 2 seasons have come through those channels. 

I have always been a big fan of Tomlinson, but he looks to have gone, whether it be a crisis of confidence or something else I don't know, but his defence has been shocking and we need to try someone/anyone else. Whether Harrington proves to be good enough remains to be seen, but he must be worth a punt over what we have seen so far. Yates has proven that he cannot defend too, so we need to change his role in defence upfield, maybe playing as a sweeper/ short fullback, like Glen Tomlinson used to. Near the line I'd be telling him to shoot out of the line looking for the intercept or at least put the man catching the ball off, because when he trying to tackle near the line, he is just getting trampled over or pushed out of the way like a little kid.

2 hours ago, DOGFATHER said:

I m not so sure about not strengthened ktf, I'd honestly back our pack against any team in the league, the pack has been awesome so far this season and probably the best I've seen as unit for us. I honestly thought we even held our own against a much lauded Hull pack. The problem, yet again, is defending down the centre channels.

For the last couple of years we have had at least one halfback in the 17 that simply can/could not defend, they haven't been either big or strong enough to stop players one on one.

Compounding the problem, we have had centres defending inside them who are defensively weak too. This has created a huge 2 man channel where teams have been able to simply walk through at will. Without looking at the stats, I'd wager 80%+ of the tries we have conceded over the last 2 seasons have come through those channels. 

I have always been a big fan of Tomlinson, but he looks to have gone, whether it be a crisis of confidence or something else I don't know, but his defence has been shocking and we need to try someone/anyone else. Whether Harrington proves to be good enough remains to be seen, but he must be worth a punt over what we have seen so far. Yates has proven that he cannot defend too, so we need to change his role in defence upfield, maybe playing as a sweeper/ short fullback, like Glen Tomlinson used to. Near the line I'd be telling him to shoot out of the line looking for the intercept or at least put the man catching the ball off, because when he trying to tackle near the line, he is just getting trampled over or pushed out of the way like a little kid.

The pack has been the same strength since 2010 but with different faces added every few seasons we have a workman pack 

we lack a leadership a Barry Eaton, Tomlinson style of player Half backs haven’t been strengthened or replaced since walker or brambani left or slowed down in my eyes, onto centres we haven’t had 2 decent centres in a few years due to injuries or form for me we are lacking pace & try scoring ability 

Don't know if Joe is naturalised so that may be a problem with a visa, Louis either hasn't got one or has been a bad lad! GOR or Coolie might have the answer, did he travel with them last season?

I would think it would be Taita with the Visa problem, look at the article in the Press as posted by Batley Bob.

On 05/03/2020 at 14:49, Batley Bob said:

You mean Anthony bowman , not sam bowring 

Oh yes, I didn't even know there was aBowring just used the OP's spelling. Bit tongue in cheek and has backfired ? maybe the OP did mean Bowring but you are correct in that I was discussing the talents of Bowman.

Archived