Match Thread: Featherstone Rovers v Swinton Sunday 8th March 2020

marklaspalmas

12 hours ago, J Phil Loxton said:

To be honest McLelland deserves a go with Leeds. I'm glad hes been given a go. Well done to him.

It can only encourage more of their promising youngsters to put in good performances for Fev. If Callum gets a few games for Rhinos I wonder if we'll see anything of Harvey Spence - He's been outstanding for them in the last 3 pre-season friendlies against Leeds.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another selection dilemma for Webster to whittle the 21 down to 17,

Assuming all the Leeds DR lads play (seems to be the president) then 

French Ottwell and sweeting look the most likely to unfortunately miss out with either Gale or Carey the fourth ?

Really strong squad again just need to give full respect to Swinton who always turn up motivated and full of enthusiasm.

3 minutes ago, Glynfev said:

Another selection dilemma for Webster to whittle the 21 down to 17,

Assuming all the Leeds DR lads play (seems to be the president) then 

French Ottwell and sweeting look the most likely to unfortunately miss out with either Gale or Carey the fourth ?

Really strong squad again just need to give full respect to Swinton who always turn up motivated and full of enthusiasm.

Gaz Gale plays for me....

37 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Gaz Gale plays for me....

Seems significant that Webster started Gale over Carey last week.

assuming Parata's fit, I reckon something like:
Hall
Gale
A Sutcliffe
Worthington
Blackmore
Jouffret
Chisholm
Susino
Bussey
Holroyd
Hardcastle
Ferres
Harrison
subs
Parata
Cooper
Albert
L Sutcliffe

but there are a variety of different combinations possible within that 17.

The other big question is, who kicks the goals? Chisholm has done well as our regular kicker and was perfect at Batley, but Hall's kicking over the last 3 weeks, especially against howling winds, has been outstanding.

Can't believe that it was 4 years ago this August that Liam Sutcliffe destroyed us from full-back in Fev's first ever game in the middle 8's, at home to Leeds Rhinos. Since then he's been a bit of a utility player- stand off, centre, 2nd row. I just hope he's as fully committed as the young D/R players we've had of late? I think he would make a good 13 in Locky's absence, as long as it doesn't affect the balance of the pack?

16 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Sweeting and Ottewell playing for the hybrid reserves team today. French not playing (he did in the last reserves game) but don't know if that means he's in the 17 for tomorrow.

jack richardson in squad as well

On 06/03/2020 at 13:26, The Phantom Horseman said:

Seems significant that Webster started Gale over Carey last week.

assuming Parata's fit, I reckon something like:
Hall
Gale
A Sutcliffe
Worthington
Blackmore
Jouffret
Chisholm
Susino
Bussey
Holroyd
Hardcastle
Ferres
Harrison
subs
Parata
Cooper
Albert
L Sutcliffe

but there are a variety of different combinations possible within that 17.

The other big question is, who kicks the goals? Chisholm has done well as our regular kicker and was perfect at Batley, but Hall's kicking over the last 3 weeks, especially against howling winds, has been outstanding.

Do you think that one Sutcliffe will be substitute for the other Sutcliffe or will he play loose forward?

43 minutes ago, jamescolin said:

Do you think that one Sutcliffe will be substitute for the other Sutcliffe or will he play loose forward?

No AS will stay  in the centres and LS in the forwards hope LS  starts at 13 harrison at prop with the subs being albert parata cooper and holdroyd

Can we play away every week?

We won and got the job done but far too much over-playing and trying to score off every set especially in the first half

Persisted in going down the left all the time despite 90% of the points going down the right

GLD was really rank stood off them all game 

Why was Hall taken off the kicking duties?

Dont know who made the descision to put Liam Sutcliffe in there today what a poor descision that was. Clearly the bloke was injured and should not have been in the 17 and we were a man down then for 60 mins

We will not get keep getting away with dishing up performances like that. Barrow in the cup and now today, very fortuneate to still be undefeated in all comps so far

Positives - Blackmore was superb today terrorised them all game, Hall Hardcastle and Jouffret went well also

Discipline remains sheeite. Scored four tries on the back of four penalties. The ref could have penalised us on other occasions for hitting out and slapping opponents.

Completion rate was dreadful.

A forgettable afternoon that heavy work was made for ourselves

23 minutes ago, MADREDNIGE said:

We scored most of our tries on the left not the right, nearly all in the second half on the family stand side which is left. 

Either way blackmore and worthington side got 5/7 tries and seemed to only score whereas the play seemed to be going to the opposite wings who didnt do a great deal with it and got caught in posession twice

14 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Discipline remains sheeite. Scored four tries on the back of four penalties. The ref could have penalised us on other occasions for hitting out and slapping opponents.

Completion rate was dreadful.

An unforgettable afternoon that heavy work was made for ourselves

Yeah but we must learn from it. 

A forgettable afternoon. Discipline as usual was ######. The only real highlight was Jouffret,s try What was the point of having  a cameo appearance from Liam Sutcliffe, and what baffles me more than anything was whose decision was it to give the kicking duties to Chissy when has been out for a month, with Halls kicking much better, it was a good job it was not down to goal kicks to win the game.

Swinton did not disgrace themselves at all , and could so easily have pinched it

Defence was poor we didn't move up on them all afternoon.Didn't think it was a forward pass when Chissy had his try disallowed before half time.Blackmore again worked his socks off all game and Jouffret showed up well.Still think Bussey is wasted at acting half although his passing from there was sharp.Swinton had a real go although i always thought we would win,if they had scored another try when 12 nil up it might have been another story.So far i have been totally underwhelmed by the performances of Brett Ferres he needs improve to be worth the pay packet he picks up.Give me one John Davies to two Brett Ferres every day of the week.

3 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Defence was poor we didn't move up on them all afternoon.Didn't think it was a forward pass when Chissy had his try disallowed before half time.

We were absolutely bang in line. All of us thought it was just forrad. We were our own worst enemy today. It happens. Move on

1 hour ago, elppaxr2i said:

Can we play away every week?

We won and got the job done but far too much over-playing and trying to score off every set especially in the first half

Persisted in going down the left all the time despite 90% of the points going down the right

GLD was really rank stood off them all game 

Why was Hall taken off the kicking duties?

Dont know who made the descision to put Liam Sutcliffe in there today what a poor descision that was. Clearly the bloke was injured and should not have been in the 17 and we were a man down then for 60 mins

We will not get keep getting away with dishing up performances like that. Barrow in the cup and now today, very fortuneate to still be undefeated in all comps so far

Positives - Blackmore was superb today terrorised them all game, Hall Hardcastle and Jouffret went well also

GLD?

1 hour ago, haskey said:

What was the point of having  a cameo appearance from Liam Sutcliffe.  

I hope he didn't go off injured? We want him back in the Rhinos 17 so that McClelland comes back to us. (Sorry Callum!)

Archived