7-8 Mar: The Betfred Championship Match Thread

Discuss this weekend's  Betfred Championship games here.

SATURDAY 7th MARCH 
Toulouse Olympique v Batley Bulldogs KO 5pm (UK Time)

SUNDAY 8th MARCH
Bradford Bulls v Sheffield Eagles KO 6.15pm (OuRLeague App)
Featherstone Rovers v Swinton Lions KO 3pm
Leigh Centurions v Halifax KO 3pm
Oldham v Dewsbury Rams KO 3pm
Widnes Vikings v Whitehaven KO 3pm
York City Knights v London Broncos KO 3pm

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Toulouse Olympique v Batley Bulldogs  (Toulouse -18)
Bradford Bulls v Sheffield Eagles (Sheffield +2)
Featherstone Rovers v Swinton Lions (Fev -16)
Leigh Centurions v Halifax  (Leigh -14)
Oldham v Dewsbury Rams  (Oldham +10)
Widnes Vikings v Whitehaven  (Widnes -14)
York City Knights v London Broncos (York +6)

Potential to be a few blowouts this week. I may be tempted by Fev up to -20, Leigh up to about -24 and London giving up about 10 on York. Expecting a blowout for Widnes as well so will keep an eye on that one.

Toulouse Olympique v Batley Bulldogs  (Toulouse by 44)
Bradford Bulls v Sheffield Eagles (Bradford by 6)
Featherstone Rovers v Swinton Lions (Fev by 22)
Leigh Centurions v Halifax  (Leigh by 14)
Oldham v Dewsbury Rams  (Dewsbury by 4)
Widnes Vikings v Whitehaven  (Widnes by 28)
York City Knights v London Broncos (York by 2)

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

15 hours ago, John Drake said:

Toulouse Olympique 44 v 6 Batley Bulldogs 

Bradford Bulls 28 v 16 Sheffield Eagles 
Featherstone Rovers 46 v 12 Swinton Lions
Leigh Centurions 38 v 8 Halifax 
Oldham 10 v 18 Dewsbury Rams 
Widnes Vikings 32 v 10 Whitehaven 
York City Knights 14 v 22 London Broncos 

23 hours ago, John Drake said:

Discuss this weekend's  Betfred Championship games here.

SATURDAY 7th MARCH 
Toulouse Olympique v Batley Bulldogs KO 5pm (UK Time)

SUNDAY 8th MARCH
Bradford Bulls v Sheffield Eagles KO 6.15pm (OuRLeague App)
Featherstone Rovers v Swinton Lions KO 3pm
Leigh Centurions v Halifax KO 3pm
Oldham v Dewsbury Rams KO 3pm
Widnes Vikings v Whitehaven KO 3pm
York City Knights v London Broncos KO 3pm

Wins for 

TO XIII, Bulls (ouch that hurt), Leigh, Dewsbury, Vikings, Broncos,...... and................Swinton

TO getting the message out for tomorrow's Batley visit. Houles wants to improve his sides points difference from 2019. They've had a comfortable programme so far - major challenges ahead. Toulouse travelled back on the same plane Monday as the Dragons. Wonder if he had a word with McNamarra regarding fringe playes at Catalans. Some of the Dragons reserves I think will need bigger challenges than Elite 1 possibly when the local comp runs down in June.

ESXGhYJXcAg-lvX.jpg

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

37 minutes ago, Private Baldrick said:

Fev announce Liam Sutcliffe on DR in their squad for Sunday.

Let the comments begin...………….

This is why I had Fev down as my Favourite for the league, they have improved on their roster from last season and along with the Leeds DR lads should be stronger than all their rivals.

But, and this is my opinion, last season when Leigh were utilising a number of the Saints player's on DR it was good to see the team winning but I reflected to myself is this team I am watching really the club I support and I could not say 100% that it was, but I am one who has always disrespected Dual Registration from it's concept and especially when it supports a team in pursuit of prizes, I was hoping that the 'A' team directive would have stopped SL clubs from loaning out player's but alas no, in fact Leigh are still in DR with Saints but it is actually being used in the opposite direction, St Helens are utilusing the Leigh fringe player's in their 'A' teams.

Anyway has long as it is in the rules nobody is doing anything wrong, but I will not be convinced any other way than that it falsify's the competition.

Just my opinion.

Understand where you are coming from Harry but I think DR can work in the right circumstances, as we are with Coventry - aspiring non heartland club with some local talent beefed up with our pros as and when - but us and HKR I agree is not right in spirit (and like Leigh we seem to be getting more in their A team than t’other way round). 

18 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Anyway has long as it is in the rules nobody is doing anything wrong, but I will not be convinced any other way than that it falsify's the competition.

I hate dual registration. We have shedloads of players but last week played two Hull players. This week, one of them was in the Hull run on side. We were just getting their players match fit. It stinks.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

35 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

I hate dual registration. We have shedloads of players but last week played two Hull players. This week, one of them was in the Hull run on side. We were just getting their players match fit. It stinks.

If I was a player and the coach told me I was getting stood down this week to play a guest in my position, I would tell him to feck off and do one, and hope that when he needs me to play I will not be around.

56 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

If I was a player and the coach told me I was getting stood down this week to play a guest in my position, I would tell him to feck off and do one, and hope that when he needs me to play I will not be around.

I utterly detest the system but I understand why the game is using it.

In my opinion, it devalues the competition. My teams loses some identity and my association with it.

BUT, at the same time, because of dual reg I had a top weekend in Toronto.... there's the dilemma right there for championship fans.

4 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

I utterly detest the system but I understand why the game is using it.

In my opinion, it devalues the competition. My teams loses some identity and my association with it.

BUT, at the same time, because of dual reg I had a top weekend in Toronto.... there's the dilemma right there for championship fans.

I think we are of the same opinion Robin, and it is quite refreshing to see how many Fev fans also dislike the system, what I found really abhorrent with DR and especially in the Championship was when prize money was awarded in respect of finishing positions.

If has I expect you will win the promotion spot this year, Fev are going to struggle moreso than other teams that have been promoted, it is never easy to recruit for the following year because a club cannot commit itself to offering contracts because they do not know until the last game of the season if they have actually secured promotion, and being devoid of the Leeds player's to call on next season will make it doubly more difficult. 

Anyway good luck for this season but not to much of it I hope on the 29th of this month, see you then at POR, really looking forward to that game, and Fev is one of my favourite places to visit. 

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

I think we are of the same opinion Robin, and it is quite refreshing to see how many Fev fans also dislike the system, what I found really abhorrent with DR and especially in the Championship was when prize money was awarded in respect of finishing positions.

If has I expect you will win the promotion spot this year, Fev are going to struggle moreso than other teams that have been promoted, it is never easy to recruit for the following year because a club cannot commit itself to offering contracts because they do not know until the last game of the season if they have actually secured promotion, and being devoid of the Leeds player's to call on next season will make it doubly more difficult. 

Anyway good luck for this season but not to much of it I hope on the 29th of this month, see you then at POR, really looking forward to that game, and Fev is one of my favourite places to visit. 

Agreed harry recruitment is a minefield but last year as soon as FEV got into the final current supergreed players / agents had been in touch offering their  services including leeds lads who had been or were still on DR and four lads from the NRL who apparently had family ties to FEV put their hands in the ring 

obviously harry that's all paper talk and nowt was written in stone but as a FEV fan I would gladly  suffer a difficult season if FEV were going to be given for once a shed load of sky TV money ??? 

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Think most Fev fans have no problem with those who are opposed to DR in general, as many Fev fans share that view anyway. Theres a guy on the Halifax RLFans site who has been implacably opposed to DR for years, including when his own team have used it, I have plenty of respect for that.

Where we tend to get defensive is when fans of other teams attack our use of DR whilst trying to pretend that their own use of DR, past or present, is in some way different. I've already seen some Leigh fans doing just that this year whilst excusing their own use of DR in the first part of last year because it was "needed" (it was only "needed" because Mr Beaumont had got his financial calculations wrong the year before and wanted a short cut way of rebuilding a decent squad). If your team has used DR fine, it's perfectly admissible in the rules, but don't go thinking your team's use is more acceptable because you only use it here and there rather than regularly.

This ^^

DR stinks and is there purely for the benefit of SL. But it's worked for Fev, probably better than any other non-SL club. But it still stinks.

But the rank hypocrisy of "Our DR isn't DR it's just that we only borrowed some fringe SL players on a short term basis so our club is still pure"  is laughable.

36 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Think most Fev fans have no problem with those who are opposed to DR in general, as many Fev fans share that view anyway. Theres a guy on the Halifax RLFans site who has been implacably opposed to DR for years, including when his own team have used it, I have plenty of respect for that.

Where we tend to get defensive is when fans of other teams attack our use of DR whilst trying to pretend that their own use of DR, past or present, is in some way different. I've already seen some Leigh fans doing just that this year whilst excusing their own use of DR in the first part of last year because it was "needed" (it was only "needed" because Mr Beaumont had got his financial calculations wrong the year before and wanted a short cut way of rebuilding a decent squad). If your team has used DR fine, it's perfectly admissible in the rules, but don't go thinking your team's use is more acceptable because you only use it here and there rather than regularly.

I hope that I have not given you that impression PH, as I said I have never been in favour of it, even for Leigh. 

One thing that irk's me though is if a DR player gets sent of and received a ban it does no effect the loaning club at all, they can just go ahead and borrow another player for the next game, that can't be right can it?

17 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I hope that I have not given you that impression PH, as I said I have never been in favour of it, even for Leigh. 

One thing that irk's me though is if a DR player gets sent of and received a ban it does no effect the loaning club at all, they can just go ahead and borrow another player for the next game, that can't be right can it?

No I wasn't having a go at you at all. If you've always been against it regardless of who uses it, fair play.

Hadn't really thought of the sending-off point, don't think it's happened that much with DR players to be honest. In more general terms what can be irritating is when a player commits an offence that injures an opposing player but the offender doesn't get sent off, then gets a suspension that can help the rivals of the team with the injured player. That's just one of those things though.

Firstly I have always been against DR, but while it it is here you can't blame Clubs for using it if it suits them. The Leeds / Featherstone DR seems to work better than probably any other. If Featherstone decided to pull out of the arrangement with Leeds there would be plenty of Clubs queuing up to take their place.

Toulouse was behind at half time and is only leading Batley Bulldogs 12-8 in the early second half.

This is very strange. Batley has no prominent player other than Shaun Lunt. Toulouse should be thrashing Batley, especially when playing at home.

Personally I agree with all of you that disagree with D/R. I have been totally against it from day 1 and yes my team uses it but I still abhor it. As Wolford posted above last week Bradford played 2 young players from Hull,leaving out 2 promising Bradford players. One of them played for Hull last night.This week the two promising players are back.One of them is on a year long loan from H.K.R. but was left out for one of the Hull lads. I agree with Harry,if that was me I would tell John Kear to stick it and go back to H.K.R and play in the academy if I had to.As anybody against D/R has alluded to it totally skews the League table,clubs are getting more of the share of the monies available,whilst the clubs without D/R get left further behind. It is time the RFL completely scrapped the idea and insisted clubs field their own players.If they can not afford to field 17 players,tough,.It is a farce being able to play 5(is it) players from another club instead of using your own players.

Archived