7-8 Mar: The Betfred Championship Match Thread

1 hour ago, Manfred Mann said:

Toulouse was behind at half time and is only leading Batley Bulldogs 12-8 in the early second half.

This is very strange. Batley has no prominent player other than Shaun Lunt. Toulouse should be thrashing Batley, especially when playing at home.

No1 Son is at the match doing the stats for TO, he is spitting bullets. 3 Tries ruled out, the referee is having a mare of a match (from a TO point of view) 

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, kiggy said:

the referee is having a mare of a match (from a TO point of view) 

That's the unfortunate perception I get too, having watched a fair few TO  home games....they do seem to be massively punished where the opposition is allowed leeway. I can't believe is conscious prejudice but it seems to happen more often than not, and the same applies watching Catalans home games too. Not sure what to make of it but it doesn't seem right.

33 minutes ago, Pigeon Lofter said:

That's the unfortunate perception I get too, having watched a fair few TO  home games....they do seem to be massively punished where the opposition is allowed leeway. I can't believe is conscious prejudice but it seems to happen more often than not, and the same applies watching Catalans home games too. Not sure what to make of it but it doesn't seem right.

I am in the fortunate position to be able to watch the whole match on video so I get to analyse (very forensically) each match in detail. To be honest, there are some bizarre decisions i.e. WTF!!! but others tend to be a lot more subtle and borderline. The outcome of which is very much on which side you are supporting.  In the *live* moment something that looks obvious on later reflection looks less so.

Bitching about the result won't change it. 2pts to TO is what gets marked up.

Dewsbury, Widnes and London Broncos next up, which are a much bigger challenge. Then Leigh and Fev to look forward to. Some cracking games coming up. 

2 hours ago, kiggy said:

I am in the fortunate position to be able to watch the whole match on video so I get to analyse (very forensically) each match in detail. To be honest, there are some bizarre decisions i.e. WTF!!! but others tend to be a lot more subtle and borderline. The outcome of which is very much on which side you are supporting.  In the *live* moment something that looks obvious on later reflection looks less so.

Bitching about the result won't change it. 2pts to TO is what gets marked up.

Dewsbury, Widnes and London Broncos next up, which are a much bigger challenge. Then Leigh and Fev to look forward to. Some cracking games coming up. 

Glad you see how interesting the next few weeks will be , all your opponents feel exactly the same 

Love Toulouse being part of the Championship 

26 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

"We used DR because we needed a couple of players for our reserve team" is my new favourite DR excuse of all time.

Whats up with the lads stepping up from the Academy, even first teams in SL have had to do just that in times when they have been affected with a number of injuries, surley stepping up to the Reserves would be acceptable?

On 06/03/2020 at 12:24, Private Baldrick said:

Fev announce Liam Sutcliffe on DR in their squad for Sunday.

Let the comments begin...………….

???

15 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

Toulouse was behind at half time and is only leading Batley Bulldogs 12-8 in the early second half.

This is very strange. Batley has no prominent player other than Shaun Lunt. Toulouse should be thrashing Batley, especially when playing at home.

2 yellow cards. 7 players out. 3 tries refused. 34/14  FT . Crowd  2850 . 

38 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

An extremely important thread running on TRL about referees and abuse and here are TO fans claiming conspiracy theories about bizarre decisions and disallowed tries. And that after a comfortable win.

#respecttheref

That's always s been the case though; conspiracy theories, bias, brown paper packages left for the ref...It was ever thus, though usually over a few pints in the pub rather than social media, but nothing really changes. The biggest problem with referees has always been that, unlike fans, they just don't care who wins.

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31337109@N03/

45 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

An extremely important thread running on TRL about referees and abuse and here are TO fans claiming conspiracy theories about bizarre decisions and disallowed tries. And that after a comfortable win.

#respecttheref

Its endemic. All refs are against our club is an allegation levelled at referees throughout the game.

A visit to our own clubs forum highlights this perception Mark.

I've given up trying to argue the point. There are those who genuinely believe refs are bent. There are those who don't. I'm kind of opting out of that discussion now cos I believe its daft just as those on t'other side of the argument think i am.

1 hour ago, Robin Evans said:

Its endemic. All refs are against our club is an allegation levelled at referees throughout the game.

A visit to our own clubs forum highlights this perception Mark.

I've given up trying to argue the point. There are those who genuinely believe refs are bent. There are those who don't. I'm kind of opting out of that discussion now cos I believe its daft just as those on t'other side of the argument think i am.

Aye. Fair do's but when these ridiculous theories boil over into the type of bile Mrs. SL Ref is talking about on another thread then the sport has a huge problem.

TO get the VIPs in too pre-match. The new facilities help as well.

EShTajdXgAELMVt.jpg.a63e69a6ae8b19db761852e6e3d0f10a.jpg

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

On 07/03/2020 at 10:41, Wolford6 said:

I hate dual registration. We have shedloads of players but last week played two Hull players. This week, one of them was in the Hull run on side. We were just getting their players match fit. It stinks.

I don’t like DR but by all accounts both had a real dig so that’s the best the lads can do.  I doubt either really wants to play for another team.

20 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

Watch the highlights and Tell me why the 3 try where ruled out... 

6 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

#respecttheref

Some French believe in an Anglo-Saxon conspiracy of English refs being biased against them because they're French.

6 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

#respecttheref

The French complain at every decision against their team.  Just normal.

15 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

The French complain at every decision against their team.  Just normal.

I would hardly single out the French in that respect. It seems to apply to fans of all RL clubs.

It's just something we all need to think about following on from the abuse thread.

Blaming the ref (I really try to avoid it, but...) makes you look a muppet. That goes for coaches (unforgiveable really) club officials (also unforgiveable) and fans.

Plenty blaming ref today (he got some things wrong) but i wouldn't say on a purpose against Rovers and  he wasn't tackling when Swinton scored but they still blamed the ref. 

2 hours ago, PECETTO said:

Watch the highlights and Tell me why the 3 try where ruled out... 

Knock on at 40 seconds or so. Obstruction/crossing at 1:30. The third one at 3:10 or so is hard to tell whether he correctly grounded or not because there's no close-up, but the referee is right there and has a better view than anyone else in the ground. At 4:10, Robin clearly doesn't ground it. Not sure why they think getting in the referee's face and getting a yellow card for dissent is a good idea.

Stan Robin looks top quality in these highlights.

Very ill-tempered game at the LSV, Leigh scored three tries in relatively quick time so Halifax needed to do something to alter the flow of the game, and as any team would do they got stuck in a little more of a physical nature and Leigh responded with much of the same, a stronger more expierenced official than Mr Vella may have nipped it in the bud but it was allowed to perculate by both teams, Higson (Leigh) got sin-binned, Sammut (Leigh) got sent of and deservedly so for a spear tackle both in the first half, Leigh was down to 11 player's for 8 mins and late in the game Larroyer (Fax) was binned for a shoulder charge.

Final score 34 - 20.

Archived