7-8 Mar: The Betfred Championship Match Thread

Interesting match today at the LSV 

And the ref helped plenty with that , we had an Aussie , I'd suggest he interpreted things a bit differently to what we are used to , Fax and Murrel adapted to it better than us 

I doubt I've seen as many discussions with our captain as I saw today 

No complaints about the various cards , too far away and followed the ball so didn't really see what Higson did for his yellow , Sammut did lift and tip for his red , and Kevin Larroyer ( as I told him in the bar afterwards ?) did lead with his shoulder 

Glad to get the win , we could easily have lost our heads and the points 

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought the ref at the LSV had a great game to be fair. I thought Leigh could have had an extra card for a nasty late tackle on Murrell but hey ho he did well especially after the red when Leigh were racing in after every penalty Fax conceded, at one point we conceded a penalty for offside and the player who conceded it was surrounded by about 10 or 11 Leigh players pushing and shoving but again well done to the ref and his team.

As for Fax an abysmal second half put paid to any hopes of a surprise win. Carrying too many players who probably should have gone at the end of last season.

15 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Very ill-tempered game at the LSV, Leigh scored three tries in relatively quick time so Halifax needed to do something to alter the flow of the game, and as any team would do they got stuck in a little more of a physical nature and Leigh responded with much of the same, a stronger more expierenced official than Mr Vella may have nipped it in the bud but it was allowed to perculate by both teams, Higson (Leigh) got sin-binned, Sammut (Leigh) got sent of and deservedly so for a spear tackle both in the first half, Leigh was down to 11 player's for 8 mins and late in the game Larroyer (Fax) was binned for a shoulder charge.

Final score 34 - 20.

could be be 3 games for Sammut then which will mean he misses Fev away (hopefully)

13 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

I thought the ref at the LSV had a great game to be fair. I thought Leigh could have had an extra card for a nasty late tackle on Murrell but hey ho he did well especially after the red when Leigh were racing in after every penalty Fax conceded, at one point we conceded a penalty for offside and the player who conceded it was surrounded by about 10 or 11 Leigh players pushing and shoving but again well done to the ref and his team.

As for Fax an abysmal second half put paid to any hopes of a surprise win. Carrying too many players who probably should have gone at the end of last season.

Not saying he was bad as such Blues , just that he was different to what we normally see , didn't help that he sometimes made different gestures for offences , waving his arms to the side meant a knock on 

1 minute ago, jamsieboy86 said:

They just showed the Championship Table on the Our League broadcast, just wondering how Batley have 3 points, whilst all the other teams have an even numbered of points?

Because they finished the 80 even , so both get a point , but then they play ' golden point ' for a second 

1 minute ago, jamsieboy86 said:

They just showed the Championship Table on the Our League broadcast, just wondering how Batley have 3 points, whilst all the other teams have an even numbered of points?

Bonus point for losing in golden point overtime against Sheffield.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

12 minutes ago, Steven Grason said:

could be be 3 games for Sammut then which will mean he misses Fev away (hopefully)

On today's showing up until he went of he did not for me anyway seem to have as much as an impression on the proceedings as Josh Woods as shown, but it was Sammuts first game of the season so I will give him some leeway, but the player for me Leigh are missing more than anyone is Greg McNally he controls both sides left and right outwide and usually has a hand in most tries Leigh score. I definatley want him back for the visit to Fev. 

22 minutes ago, Colin James said:

My stream keeps cutting out for this Bradford game. Anyone else having problems?

Absolute joke today, constant buffering, tried all sorts of things but just the same. Worst its ever been for me

2 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

On today's showing up until he went of he did not for me anyway seem to have as much as an impression on the proceedings as Josh Woods as shown, but it was Sammuts first game of the season so I will give him some leeway, but the player for me Leigh are missing more than anyone is Greg McNally he controls both sides left and right outwide and useyally has a hand in most tries Leigh score. I definatley want him back for the visit to Fev. 

Me too Harry , I'd prefer us to leave Mullen there for next week at HKR 

Just now, Nearenough said:

So one team drew and the other won...yup that makes sense?! Golden point is just daft

I don't make the rules up! I agree, it's either a draw or it isn't.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

7 minutes ago, Nearenough said:

Absolute joke today, constant buffering, tried all sorts of things but just the same. Worst its ever been for me

Mine hasn't dropped out once. Streaming from iPhone to Apple TV in HD no bother at all.

Cracking game at Bootham Crescent today. The second half was some of the most absorbing rugby I've seen in a long time. Real high quality stuff for the Championship. The referee was brilliant too. 

1 hour ago, JonM said:

Knock on at 40 seconds or so. Obstruction/crossing at 1:30. The third one at 3:10 or so is hard to tell whether he correctly grounded or not because there's no close-up, but the referee is right there and has a better view than anyone else in the ground. At 4:10, Robin clearly doesn't ground it. Not sure why they think getting in the referee's face and getting a yellow card for dissent is a good idea.

Stan Robin looks top quality in these highlights.

I’d agree with those assessments although I am struggling why the original poster couldn’t see them

2 minutes ago, LeeF said:

I’d agree with those assessments although I am struggling why the original poster couldn’t see them

I think this illustration might explain it.

tinfoil-hat.jpg

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 minutes ago, LeeF said:

Well, it is amazing how much better the referees are when you're a neutral. I'm certainly not immune from that, either.

49 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Not saying he was bad as such Blues , just that he was different to what we normally see , didn't help that he sometimes made different gestures for offences , waving his arms to the side meant a knock on 

Haha I did wonder about that signal.

Bulls 28 - 0 Eagles. Not many saw that coming, me included.

And when they found our shadows

Grouped around the TV sets

They ran down every lead

They repeated every test

They checked out all the data on their lists

And then the alien anthropologists

Admitted they were still perplexed

But on eliminating every other reason

For our sad demise

They logged the only explanation left

This species has amused itself to death

No tears to cry no feelings left

This species has amused itself to death

1 hour ago, Steven Grason said:

Hopefully gets 25, Woods and Reynolds works far better

Absolutely shocking ref though who gave many fans some great reasons to start knitting on match days rather than put cash into the sport

Bradford played well and thoroughly deserved the win, but what has happened to Sheffield this season, I have now seen them twice this term tonight and the 58 -10 loss at Leigh, if not in the skill factor Mr Astons teams have some pride in their work this present team does not appear to have that.

Tonight was old fashioned hard rugby. The score flattered us ... for long periods Sheffield were gaining more yards in their set of six than we were. Strong wind and one big downpour didn't make for adventurous rugby but it was a pleasure to watch.

One thing; I don't know whether there's been an RFL edict but both sets of players just got on with it and weren't constantly yapping in the referee's ear. Nice to see.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

Archived