7-8 Mar: The Betfred Championship Match Thread

11 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

Tonight was old fashioned hard rugby. The score flattered us ... for long periods Sheffield were gaining more yards in their set of six than we were. Strong wind and one big downpour didn't make for adventurous rugby but it was a pleasure to watch.

One thing; I don't know whether there's been an RFL edict but both sets of players just got on with it and weren't constantly yapping in the referee's ear. Nice to see.

Did Jack Brown from Hull play?

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Bradford played well and thoroughly deserved the win, but what has happened to Sheffield this season, I have now seen them twice this term tonight and the 58 -10 loss at Leigh, if not in the skill factor Mr Astons teams have some pride in their work this present team does not appear to have that.

How did Cameron Scott from Hull play?

14 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Results this week showing a clear top three,  London doing just enough against York and Bradford to think they might be vulnerable and if the Bulls hold on,  we have a hat of teams chasing 5th.

York have a run of very winnable but now must win games to get into the playoff race. 

Winnable  interesting next league game FEV

6 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

How did Cameron Scott from Hull play?

Scored 3 tries, 2 were walk in's, the third was from near half way which took some finishing but he very nearly took the wrong option, defensively I am not to sure with a weak effort for one of the Fax tries (I had a good clear view) he tried to shove his opposite into touch and got both hands to him, had he ventured to get his shoulder in I feel it would have got a more effective result, for me the jury is still out. 

3 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Scored 3 tries, 2 were walk in's, the third was from near half way which took some finishing but he very nearly took the wrong option, defensively I am not to sure with a weak effort for one of the Fax tries (I had a good clear view) he tried to shove his opposite into touch and got both hands to him, had he ventured to get his shoulder in I feel it would have got a more effective result, for me the jury is still out. 

Thanks Harry.  Although he was the England Academy Captain he is still young and has some work to do yet.  Good win none the less.

28 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

No. However, Anthony England only did one stint, so he might be injured. Cup game next week so Hull won't want a player to be cup tied. I wouldn't put it past Kear to pick him again in the future; even though we don't need him.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

14 hours ago, Nearenough said:

So one team drew and the other won...yup that makes sense?! Golden point is just daft

I'd agree that 'golden point' is, well..pointless, but if we must then the championship version is far better than the one used in SL. If you've battled for the full 80 and got a draw then you deserve the point imo.

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31337109@N03/

46 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

No, along with Joe Cator, he was wanted by Hull, so not available to us.

We manged well enough without as it happens. Defensively we were very good and though not really fluent on attack, managed to score five tries. Hopefully the attack will be better as the grounds dry out a bit.

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Cam Scott had a pretty major shoulder operation at the back end of last season. I'm sure with game time he'll continue to improve.

I was impressed with him at York last year. Kid could go far in the game. 

1 hour ago, ShropshireBull said:

After Fev York have a run of winnable and now must win games. 

York might beat Fev they seem to raise their game against us. A good day out York away win or lose. 

1 hour ago, Gav Wilson said:

Cam Scott had a pretty major shoulder operation at the back end of last season. I'm sure with game time he'll continue to improve.

I was impressed with him at York last year. Kid could go far in the game. 

Another kid off the Bradford production line cruelly taken just like the rest because of our tin pot owners past and present.

Forever in our shadow, forever on your mind.

56 minutes ago, Konkrete said:

Another kid off the Bradford production line cruelly taken just like the rest because of our tin pot owners past and present.

I don't want to rub it in too much mate, but Reiss Butterworth put in a really positive performance in his York debut on loan from Huddersfield yesterday too... 

3 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

No. However, Anthony England only did one stint, so he might be injured. Cup game next week so Hull won't want a player to be cup tied. I wouldn't put it past Kear to pick him again in the future; even though we don't need him.

I think he’ll stay with you as Hull have said that if they call players back it will be Cameron Scott from Leigh and Bienek.  Brown is only 19.

I asked as there was a ‘Jim Brown’ on the RFL final 17.

15 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

Tonight was old fashioned hard rugby. The score flattered us ... for long periods Sheffield were gaining more yards in their set of six than we were. Strong wind and one big downpour didn't make for adventurous rugby but it was a pleasure to watch.

One thing; I don't know whether there's been an RFL edict but both sets of players just got on with it and weren't constantly yapping in the referee's ear. Nice to see.

Probably just down to the quality of the coaches,Messrs Kear and Aston.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

1 hour ago, Konkrete said:

I think he was a Wyke player Konkers.

Just on the young players theme.  Is Bastian being missed?

On 08/03/2020 at 10:24, Harry Stottle said:

Whats up with the lads stepping up from the Academy, even first teams in SL have had to do just that in times when they have been affected with a number of injuries, surley stepping up to the Reserves would be acceptable?

I'm with you on that one, if they have an academy then they should be asked to play one from there rather than using a load of DR players. Nice to see the young lad Pezet from the Toulouse academy step up into the first team and score a try.

On 08/03/2020 at 19:05, JonM said:

Knock on at 40 seconds or so. Obstruction/crossing at 1:30. The third one at 3:10 or so is hard to tell whether he correctly grounded or not because there's no close-up, but the referee is right there and has a better view than anyone else in the ground. At 4:10, Robin clearly doesn't ground it. Not sure why they think getting in the referee's face and getting a yellow card for dissent is a good idea.

Stan Robin looks top quality in these highlights.

I agree, Stan Robin... when fit...is pretty good. You missed the try at 1:45 as well. I need to understand this Obstruction/Crossing rule more as it seems fairly arbitrary sometimes. (which is funny as French for the referee is l'arbitre....masculine noun, so not sure what happens when you have a female referee). I think the yellow card was for something other than dissent, but I will have a word with the lad...can't be getting sin-binned in the bigger matches...no offence to Batley.

4 hours ago, kiggy said:

I agree, Stan Robin... when fit...is pretty good. You missed the try at 1:45 as well. I need to understand this Obstruction/Crossing rule more as it seems fairly arbitrary sometimes. (which is funny as French for the referee is l'arbitre....masculine noun, so not sure what happens when you have a female referee). I think the yellow card was for something other than dissent, but I will have a word with the lad...can't be getting sin-binned in the bigger matches...no offence to Batley.

Knock on ? Obstruction ? I Have to change my  glasses.... toulouse coach dont have your opinion... do hé need  also to change his Glasses ? ?

17 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

I think he was a Wyke player Konkers.

Just on the young players theme.  Is Bastian being missed?

Top development coach is JB.  But they were coming through before and they continue to now he’s gone. We’ve got at least three in the team today, all kids that’ll get nabbed by the end of this season for SL I reckon.

Lee Beatie and Mark Dunning do a really good job. And there’s plenty of raw talent kicking around the area. 

22 hours ago, Bulliac said:

No, along with Joe Cator, he was wanted by Hull, so not available to us.

We manged well enough without as it happens. Defensively we were very good and though not really fluent on attack, managed to score five tries. Hopefully the attack will be better as the grounds dry out a bit.

Joe Cator had a cracking season at Leigh last year, in the top 3 for me, the lad totally defies his small frame for a forward he thinks and plays as though he is 6'-4" and 18 stone.

Koncrete,

Probably more than three, but,where is the solution to being able to keep them. S.L. clubs are offering them much more money than the Bulls can afford now.What do the S.L clubs do then, farm them out to lower league clubs.It seems to me that S.L. clubs run on the old saying, if we sign them no other S.L. clubs can.As for Reiss Butterworth from what I can gather he got a bit to big for his boots,had a poor disciplinary record and thought he should have been playing 1st Team Rugby when there was at least 3 players ahead of him. I believe that is the reason he was released.How many clubs has he played for since he left the Bulls?

4 hours ago, fairfolly said:

Koncrete,

Probably more than three, but,where is the solution to being able to keep them. S.L. clubs are offering them much more money than the Bulls can afford now.What do the S.L clubs do then, farm them out to lower league clubs.It seems to me that S.L. clubs run on the old saying, if we sign them no other S.L. clubs can.As for Reiss Butterworth from what I can gather he got a bit to big for his boots,had a poor disciplinary record and thought he should have been playing 1st Team Rugby when there was at least 3 players ahead of him. I believe that is the reason he was released.How many clubs has he played for since he left the Bulls?

I know you're answering Konkrete but I'll stick my two pennorth in anyway...

It's inevitable that youngsters want to progress and the better ones will inevitably go on to SL or to Aus as the Burgess brothers did. If we get a season or so out of them first then I'm happy, given our position. I wish more of these lads were playing for us, but I take pride in them appearing at the top level and particular pride in seeing "our lads" in an England shirt. 

The only time I'm really down is when our junior products are loaned out to the opposition, but then I don't really like D/R at the best of times.

3 hours ago, fairfolly said:

Koncrete,

Short of a SL licence awarded under a franchise system (highly unlikely these days).  I can't see a plausible answer I'm afraid.  We have, once again, owners sanctioned by the governing body with no money.  And to which the transparency of the actual ownership of the club, and the nature of the transfer of ownership are about as murky as it could possibly be. We cannot retain our young talent because we have to take the transfer fees in order to carry on.  If indeed the money generated stays within the club.  There is no prospect of a wealthy owner in sight.  Our current chairman, who so far as I know hasn't even attended a game, pops up yesterday as the face of the Ottawa Aces.  Complete with two of our sponsors names, including our main shirt sponsor, front and centre.  We've even managed to alienate one of our top amateur clubs.  It's a total mess from top to bottom.

The club will continue to run on life support until a new ground is built in Bradford, or we return to a redeveloped Odsal (Ha!).  Until then it will continue to attract wannabes and charlatans who will run the club in their own interests.

6 hours ago, fairfolly said:

.As for Reiss Butterworth from what I can gather he got a bit to big for his boots,had a poor disciplinary record and thought he should have been playing 1st Team Rugby when there was at least 3 players ahead of him. I believe that is the reason he was released.How many clubs has he played for since he left the Bulls?

Absolute load of male genitals. The kid was sh#t hot under Rohan Smith and Toovey, and got swapped for 2 players by Kear then sold for 50k, not released with attitude or a poor disciplinary record. It was purely down to administration cus the Bulls can't run a bath, and Kear can't develop youth. Listen to Fordys interview he's a lovely kid. 

If I remember correctly he was sent off in an Academy game for goodness sake and received a suspension at least once.So Fordy can decide he is a lovely kid after one game. I do not know the kid, so have no idea if he is a lovely kid or not, I am just going on what was on the grapevine. Maybe I will be proved wrong,if so I will apologise. By the way do you happen to be related to the young man,going by your name Big Bad Butt.

Archived