7-8 Mar: The Betfred Championship Match Thread

16 minutes ago, fairfolly said:

If I remember correctly he was sent off in an Academy game for goodness sake and received a suspension at least once.So Fordy can decide he is a lovely kid after one game. I do not know the kid, so have no idea if he is a lovely kid or not, I am just going on what was on the grapevine. Maybe I will be proved wrong,if so I will apologise. By the way do you happen to be related to the young man,going by your name Big Bad Butt.

No relation, knew him from Batley, he is a lovely lad, who I had a really good chat with at a club event. Fordy teached him at college I think. He told me how he was treated very poorly at Bulls after being loyal through the administrations, some of which I knew already, and come on a sending off Dosent make a rogue, look at flannagan, HD should go every week ?. Too much shi#te gets told on the grapevine! 

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Big Bad Butt,

As I have posted I do not know the lad. He may be a good lad and yes you are correct one sending off does not make him a rogue.As for being treat badly by the Bulls, my understanding was that he was sent out on loan to Batley because he was not considered good enough for the 1st team at that time.Correct me if I am wrong but he did not play a game there on his 1st loan. He was then loaned to Cas. as part of the signing of I believe Green. After returning I believe he was signed by Huddersfield who then promptly loaned him back to Batley. And now he is on loan at York. You see this is my grouse against loans and D/R. How does any club expect the lad to improve when he is being shunted from pillar to post. It does the lad no good at all in my opinion,quite the opposite I would imagine. The way I see it all it does is dishearten the player. I hope it is a success for him at York and he gets signed and manages to play regular Rugby.That is of course if Huddersfield are willing to let him go.

I played with Reiss Butterworth's grandad, Paul. I also knew his father, Eric. They were a smashing family and I doubt if Reiss is any different. Paul is on the Bull Builder Committee.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

3 hours ago, fairfolly said:

Big Bad Butt,

As I have posted I do not know the lad. He may be a good lad and yes you are correct one sending off does not make him a rogue.As for being treat badly by the Bulls, my understanding was that he was sent out on loan to Batley because he was not considered good enough for the 1st team at that time.Correct me if I am wrong but he did not play a game there on his 1st loan. He was then loaned to Cas. as part of the signing of I believe Green. After returning I believe he was signed by Huddersfield who then promptly loaned him back to Batley. And now he is on loan at York. You see this is my grouse against loans and D/R. How does any club expect the lad to improve when he is being shunted from pillar to post. It does the lad no good at all in my opinion,quite the opposite I would imagine. The way I see it all it does is dishearten the player. I hope it is a success for him at York and he gets signed and manages to play regular Rugby.That is of course if Huddersfield are willing to let him go.

Not good enough for the 1st team pmsl, you was in league 1, we were in championship, he scored on debut in the summer bash on sky, changed the game for us. I do agree with you on loans and DR tho, but that's the RFL who cudnt run a bath. Game needs a overhaul. 

9 hours ago, Konkrete said:

Short of a SL licence awarded under a franchise system (highly unlikely these days).  I can't see a plausible answer I'm afraid.  We have, once again, owners sanctioned by the governing body with no money.  And to which the transparency of the actual ownership of the club, and the nature of the transfer of ownership are about as murky as it could possibly be. We cannot retain our young talent because we have to take the transfer fees in order to carry on.  If indeed the money generated stays within the club.  There is no prospect of a wealthy owner in sight.  Our current chairman, who so far as I know hasn't even attended a game, pops up yesterday as the face of the Ottawa Aces.  Complete with two of our sponsors names, including our main shirt sponsor, front and centre.  We've even managed to alienate one of our top amateur clubs.  It's a total mess from top to bottom.

The club will continue to run on life support until a new ground is built in Bradford, or we return to a redeveloped Odsal (Ha!).  Until then it will continue to attract wannabes and charlatans who will run the club in their own interests.

Not sure why the supposed shock about Perez. He's only ever been interim Chairman at Bradford and has always been leaving to (re-)lead the Ottawa project, although his tenure appears to be lasting a bit longer than planned.

Wolford,

I have no doubt whatsoever that the Butterworth family are a good family. I have never said any different. The post was about Reiss Butterworth as a R.L. player not about his family. I remeber a year or two ago you saying he should have been in the !st team at the Bulls. The coach,the man that counts,thought different .Do you recall the famous coach Jack Gibson,s famous quote, " When I start listening to supporters views who I should pick then the week after I will be stood on the terraces with them".That old adage still sticks today. The coach is the man employed to coach and pick the players he considers should be playing not the supporters. Of course you are entitled to your opinion but your opinion does not count in the coaches eyes.After all you do not witness what goes on at the training sessions nor what goes on behind the scenes.

On 10/03/2020 at 00:10, PECETTO said:

Knock on ? Obstruction ? I Have to change my  glasses.... toulouse coach dont have your opinion... do hé need  also to change his Glasses ? ?

Not spoken to Sylvain yet, but I will let you know what he thinks when I have

11 hours ago, fairfolly said:

Wolford,

I have no doubt whatsoever that the Butterworth family are a good family. I have never said any different. The post was about Reiss Butterworth as a R.L. player not about his family. I remeber a year or two ago you saying he should have been in the !st team at the Bulls. The coach,the man that counts,thought different .Do you recall the famous coach Jack Gibson,s famous quote, " When I start listening to supporters views who I should pick then the week after I will be stood on the terraces with them".That old adage still sticks today. The coach is the man employed to coach and pick the players he considers should be playing not the supporters. Of course you are entitled to your opinion but your opinion does not count in the coaches eyes.After all you do not witness what goes on at the training sessions nor what goes on behind the scenes.

All true. The irony is that, in tonight's T&A, Kear's bulling up the quality of the reserve team. This coming after he ignored them by playing 2 x hired guns from Hull against Oldham.

Cobi Green gets picked by Kear for Wales but not for a game against some of our inferior-quality opponents in the Championship. I'm no relation to the lad and have never met him but I suspect he'll be the next one to get snapped up.

Wolford,

If you have read my posts complaining about D/R and loans you will realise I actually agree with you concerning the two Hull lads. I have constantly called against using young players from other clubs rather than the clubs own youngsters.As for Cobi Green all I have heard from John Kear about the lad has all been positive.As far as I am concerned though there are no inferior quality opponents in the Championships. Surely you must have realised  the most important thing for the Bulls this season is to make sure they steer clear of relegation and believe me that will not be as easy as a lot of people think.

Hopefully if and when that target is achieved more youngsters will be given the chance in the 1st team.

1 hour ago, Wolford6 said:

All true. The irony is that, in tonight's T&A, Kear's bulling up the quality of the reserve team. This coming after he ignored them by playing 2 x hired guns from Hull against Oldham.

Cobi Green gets picked by Kear for Wales but not for a game against some of our inferior-quality opponents in the Championship. I'm no relation to the lad and have never met him but I suspect he'll be the next one to get snapped up.

Hmmm... the performance against Underbank was not acceptable.  Kear used DR in the one game following to remind our players what is required.   Next game v Sheffield speaks for itself. For me that’s clever management.  Very different to the DR use by other clubs.

For Kear to play Green he has to drop someone. Milnes or Lilley?

Forever in our shadow, forever on your mind.

6 minutes ago, Konkrete said:

For Kear to play Green he has to drop someone. Milnes or Lilley?

I'm not really complaining so much about this season but over the last two seasons, Kear was playing Minchella at stand off. This was after Cobi Green made the Team of the Tournament in the Under-19's World Cup. Even this season, he could give Green a game on the bench.

1 hour ago, fairfolly said:

Wolford,

Surely you must have realised  the most important thing for the Bulls this season is to make sure they steer clear of relegation and believe me that will not be as easy as a lot of people think.

Hopefully if and when that target is achieved more youngsters will be given the chance in the 1st team.

Fairfolly, we'll have to agree to disagree.

Looking at the teams in this season's table, the hghest we'll finish is fifth and the lowest is ninth. We should be concentrating on building a team that will challenge for promotion next season.

Toulouse

Leigh Centurions

Featherstone Rovers

London Broncos

Widnes Vikings

Dewsbury Rams

Bradford Bulls

Halifax

Batley Bulldogs

Swinton Lions

Sheffield Eagles

Oldham

York

Whitehaven

20 minutes ago, Konkrete said:

Kear used DR in the one game following to remind our players what is required.  

Kear always blames the team when they lose or don't play well. When they win well, it's always down to his tactics.

10 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

Kear always blames the team when they lose or don't play well. When they win well, it's always down to his tactics.

You don’t like Kear do you.

Forever in our shadow, forever on your mind.

In fairness, I didn't like Andrew Chalmers as owner and don't like Nigel Wood being our new owner either. However, that bloke from Dewsbury and Adam Fogerty attended the Ex-Players Association Dinner with Nigel Wood and came across very well. Nigel Wood didn't speak to the assembly. He might have networked afterwards but I'd left to watch a band.

John Kear may be a nice bloke but his playing style is too conservative for my preferences. I never had any flair myself and I have always appreciated, at whatever level of rugby, those players that actually have it.

John Kear will not care a jot whether you or any other supporter dislikes him. He is hired to do a job by the board and will do whatever he thinks is necessary to win games. I have already quoted Jack Gibson,s famous quote. I would wager that 100% of coaches follow the same mantra.Why would a professional coach listen to supporters. You must realise nearly every supporter would pick a different team.You seem to have an agenda against John Kear which seems to me to be a bit childish.

23 minutes ago, fairfolly said:

John Kear will not care a jot whether you or any other supporter dislikes him. He is hired to do a job by the board and will do whatever he thinks is necessary to win games. I have already quoted Jack Gibson,s famous quote. I would wager that 100% of coaches follow the same mantra.Why would a professional coach listen to supporters. You must realise nearly every supporter would pick a different team.You seem to have an agenda against John Kear which seems to me to be a bit childish.

I don't have an agenda against him. I'm hardly going to engineer his leaving am I. I just reserve the right not to like his gameplan or his comments in the paper.You've been to watch the same games as me; how many times do we string three passes together in motion without someone dropping the ball? Usually because of a rubbish pass. If we get promoted, the opposition backs will crucify us. That's what the team ought to be working on; not 5 drives and a kick on a postage stamp pitch.

I'll still be going every week; it's a habit, like going to work. I enjoy it when I get there, but I don't look forward to it all week like I used to in previous times when we weren't necessarily very good.

2 hours ago, SL17 said:

I think Kear is his dad.

I'm six months older than John Kear. I remember him playing. He had an afro and an eye for a try.

Kear that is, not my Dad.

It seems to me Wolford that you are blaming John Kear for players dropping the ball,bad passing,poor tackling. I guess you have already guessed it is the players not the coach who are making the mistakes. You can not make a silk purse out of a pigs ear. John Kear has to make do and mend with wahat he has got. Of course he would like better players but that is not available this season and maybe not even next season. Give the fellow credit,he could have walked away and decided he did not want that situation. But,no,he has decided to stick it out and try to get the best of the players he has at his disposal.After all name me another coach who would have taken on the job after all the recent history with the Bulls. And please do not say he stayed because nobody else would employ him. It also makes me wonder why you keep naming Cobi Green  as one who should be given a chance in the 1st team, it would not be just because he is a Welshman would it?

We've presumably got another. Not seen him but he's called Dewi. Plus Rhys Evans of course.

My long term strategy is for the club to only have Welsh players on the books. Knowing that Kear won't pick them.

??

Nothing against Welshmen by the way Wolford. When I started watching Northern as a young kid the coach was a Welshman, Dai Rees. The team had a good number of Welshmen to. Alan Edwards, Willie Davis, Frank Whitcombe, Ron Greaves, Trevor Foster, and for that 1949 Final a good friend of our family Brian Radford played all season but was then left out of the final. I remember him coming to our house to tell us he was left out for the Final. He was distraught. I think he carried on at Odsal for a few years but then went back home to Wales where he stayed until his death.

There was Bill Jenkins from that era as well. He stayed in Bradford as the Lab Manager at Alcan Alloys on Bowling Back Lane (where I knew him from). He was also the Secretary of South Bradford Golf Club.

A TSR2 ended up on the feedstock scrap heap at Alcan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BAC_TSR-2#Survivors

6 hours ago, fairfolly said:

It seems to me Wolford that you are blaming John Kear for players dropping the ball,bad passing,poor tackling. I guess you have already guessed it is the players not the coach who are making the mistakes. 

Why do people make this pointless assessment? Who do you think is in charge of training and thus largely responsible for for skill levels, motivation, tactics etc.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

Archived