6 Mar: SL: Warrington Wolves v Castleford Tigers KO 7.45pm (TV)

Who will win?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Warrington Wolves
    • Castleford Tigers

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/03/20 at 19:45

9 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

What do we think of this Warrington team?

I’d be disappointed with the backs if I was a fan. Still look a long way from being a champion side.

I think they showed that they want to play for Price. Nobody can say that they were lacking in effort & commitment last night. Ratchford is still one of those players that worries you as an opposition fan when he gets the ball in space, but there's not a huge amount of attacking prowess elsewhere at the moment.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Cheshire Setter said:

To be fair, there’s no way of the crowd knowing that Hicks had sent it up as a penalty try and the big screen just says ‘try’.

After a few pints of rubbish lager you’d likely miss the fact that it was a high shot.

And, technically he didn’t ground it so they’re right ?

I suppose we had the benefit of being stood right in front of the screen in the south east corner so had the benefit of lip reading what was sent up to the video ref. Would have thought the giveaway would be when the conversion was taken under the sticks but like you say cheap lager has a lot to answer for in some quarters ?

1 hour ago, JonM said:

I think they showed that they want to play for Price. Nobody can say that they were lacking in effort & commitment last night. Ratchford is still one of those players that worries you as an opposition fan when he gets the ball in space, but there's not a huge amount of attacking prowess elsewhere at the moment.

In the 2nd half we started taking the line on more. The only way we looked like scoring was through Austin who started looking livelier. It worked in terms of territory etc. but that territory is only useful if you can put teams away, and yet again this year we are seeing the same issues. 

This is ultimately why I have an issue with Price, we have plenty of talent, but our attacking ability has been stripped out of us, no matter who we have had in the team. 

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

This is ultimately why I have an issue with Price, we have plenty of talent, but our attacking ability has been stripped out of us, no matter who we have had in the team. 

Back in 2018 (and credit has to be given where it's due) we actually sorted out of defensive structure problems.   We had a duff (so it seemed) half-back, and we expected once we spent some decent money on proven talent we'd see the benefits.   At the start of 2019 we started to see glimpses of this with Austin and Ratchford, and we'd replaced Russell with Charnley, Westerman with BMM etc and we'd built a great team on paper.

By the middle of last year though (despite the cup win) I'd started to accept the fact it was unlikely that Price could get this team over the GF hurdle.   He's done some great things outside of the match day coaching, but it's clear he's more of a Director of Rugby than a coach.  

It's nothing personal, he's a super nice guy and he was the only sensible option at the time but that doesn't change the fact we need a shake-up.   The big issue now is who takes over, and when do we act? ?

3 hours ago, Cheshire Setter said:

It's nothing personal, he's a super nice guy and he was the only sensible option at the time but that doesn't change the fact we need a shake-up.   The big issue now is who takes over, and when do we act? ?

He will see out the season, and still may win some silverware, the players must take some blame. The quality of Ratchford, Austin, Widdop and Clarke doesn't need a coach to be successful it needs a good pack to lay a platform and not be coached out of their natural skills and abilities. 

6 hours ago, Dave T said:

In the 2nd half we started taking the line on more. The only way we looked like scoring was through Austin who started looking livelier. It worked in terms of territory etc. but that territory is only useful if you can put teams away, and yet again this year we are seeing the same issues. 

You couldn't fault Warrington's commitment, but I was surprised at their lack of creativity in attack.

At the moment, all of Warrington's ball movement is too far away from the defensive line and too lateral. They don't seem to have anyone prepared to take the ball straight to the line, make the defence make a decision and wear a bit of contact.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

23 hours ago, Dunbar said:

At the moment, all of Warrington's ball movement is too far away from the defensive line and too lateral. They don't seem to have anyone prepared to take the ball straight to the line, make the defence make a decision and wear a bit of contact.

I think that's a good point. We never see a late hit on our halves just after they pass. Austin has shown he can do this, but I think the lack of confidence in the team has taken them back to the negative basic play. 

15 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I think the lack of confidence in the team has taken them back to the negative basic play.

I listened to Philbin interviewed before the game, and he was saying how they had gone back to basics in training all week. Not knocking Philbin in any way, but just made me think if that is where we are at with that squad as a whole, then it could be a long season again.

I don't think there is any doubt that Wire were the better team and over 80 mins deserved the win but still disappointing to lose with the chances we had at the end there.

Still, not the end of the world, we'll be alright this season I reckon 

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

On 07/03/2020 at 11:15, Wilderspoolmemories said:

Did the cas fans come in 1 or 2 taxis ????

Wow - a last minute dg to win and you turn into a chuckle brother!

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

On 09/03/2020 at 12:45, Kenilworth Tiger said:

Wow - a last minute dg to win and you turn into a chuckle brother!

Hey, don’t you dare use the Chuckle Brothers as part of a derogatory comment.   They’re a National Treasure.   (RIP Barry ?).

Archived